Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder Coated my spare wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StratPlayer
I just got me a powder coating system, I bought the craftsman setup, don't need a compressor to run the gun. I dedided to coat my spare wheel for my spare tire. Never done this before but it seems straight forward and pretty easy. The hardest part is preparing the piece to be coated.

Anyway heres some pics. of the process

The wheel all masked off ready to take some powder
StratPlayer
The powder is applied and ready for the oven to cure
Mueller
damn.....I thought by the 1st picture you powdercoated it green clap56.gif
StratPlayer
After it cooled in the oven while the oven was cooling down, I heard this is the best way to do it, let the piece cool down in the oven as the oven is cooling down.
StratPlayer
Now just a bit of sanding an polishing and the wheel is ready to go
Mueller
so how does the powder get applied w/no compressor?

maf914
What kind of masking tape is that? I was surprised to see it go through the oven heat cycle. idea.gif
StratPlayer
The gun has its own fan system for blowing the powder out of the cup its put into, the trigger is a variable speed trigger so you can control how much powder is being applied, its a great unit it looks like a blow drier.

After reading a thread on the PP 911 board I went a bought one. Good thread on the product.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....=powder+coating
StratPlayer
The masking tape is high temp masking tape from 3M
yarin
The most difficult part of setting your system up is getting an oven to dedicate to power coating. I wish I had 220V in my garage. You don't want the oven in your house, the fumes are BAD.

Ok... that is 2nd on the list. First is cleaning your material, getting rid of all the crud. Sandblasting works wonderfully once the material has been scrubbed down.
StratPlayer
Couple more items I coated over the weekend
Eric_Shea
I'll be right over. biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
I'm so Jealous... those pieces look awesome! smilie_pokal.gif
736conver
You don't want the oven in your house, the fumes are BAD.

agree.gif

Even in my 2 car garage the fumes get bad. During the winter I leave the door open.

Aaron Cox
how much is the rig to powdacoat?
yarin
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 13 2006, 05:44 PM)
how much is the rig to powdacoat?

http://www.columbiacoatings.com/Chicago_Electric.htm

I bought this about two years ago. As cheap as $70. It gets the job done.

Craftsman makes one that doens't need a compressor. Haven't tried that one.
yarin
Stratplayer... how did you do the intake plenum? Did u take it down to bare metal? Or scrape off the gunk and powder over the existing paint?
alpha434
Huh? I want green fuches now.
Aaron Cox
how much powder is needed to do a wheel?

i want to do my cookie cutters in bright red.....
Gint
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 13 2006, 08:55 PM)
how much powder is needed to do a wheel?

i want to do my cookie cutters in bright red.....

About a tablespoon to do what Jim did here. Couple three tblsp to do an entire wheel face. Maybe 4-5 to do the entire wheel. At the most.
nbscooters
I got a nifty powder coater from harbor freight for about 90 bucks. Got my hands on an oven and the most beatiful looking pieces came out. The only problem is that paint usually comes in 25 and 50 pound cartons and you have to buy the whole carton. You can paint ALOT of stuff though!!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (nbscooters @ Feb 13 2006, 09:07 PM)
I got a nifty powder coater from harbor freight for about 90 bucks. Got my hands on an oven and the most beatiful looking pieces came out. The only problem is that paint usually comes in 25 and 50 pound cartons and you have to buy the whole carton. You can paint ALOT of stuff though!!

let me know if you want a little business from a local smile.gif
StratPlayer
I used jasco on the plenum to remove all the paint on it, I let the jasco stay on overnight. Once all the paint was gone I sprayed it with some phosphoric prep & etch, can get at home depot. Cleaned it off real good, let it dry completely and then I coated it.
StratPlayer
You can buy as little as 2oz. of coating from columbia coatings, thats where I get all my powders from. I started with just 2 oz. so far I've coated a wheel, plenum, and gauge bezel and I still have plenty left, I'm going to order about 8 oz. of the satin black from them.

www.columbiacoatings.com
TravisNeff
Cooking parts! Looks great.
smdubovsky
http://www.eastwoodco.com/

You can buy their powders in various sizes from 8oz to 50lbs. No affiliation, yada yada.
StratPlayer
Some more powder coating magic, the airbox is finished
StratPlayer
another
StratPlayer
Making some progess, more Stuff that is coated.
StratPlayer
last one for now
shaggy
are you coating everything you own???

dam...how did you do the air box? that isnt stock is it?

did you do fuel rails?

how did you clean the tin prior to paint?

-shag
StratPlayer
Yes that is the stock air box, I stripped all the paint off of everything, the preping is the hardest part of the job, a good prep job will yield you a great powdercoating job. Yes I did do the fuel rails, the tin and the airbox were stripped using jasco to remove all the old paint. Once I was satisfied with the prep work then I coated everything.
alpha434
smilie_pokal.gif

Looks sharp.
yarin
Excellent results!

I like the two tone intake runners. Very nice job!

Here are pics of the stuff I did last week:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...47725&hl=powder

One thing I noticed to beware of... the intake plenum acts as a path to ground. So make sure you scrape away the required paths. I know for a fact that fast idle valve is grounded to the block through the intake manifold. That's all I could find on my setup. Just a heads up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.