Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally got a "real" header...now a few questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Okay, where do I get the springs that connect the collector to the primary tubes?

Do I need to worry about the union at the primary tubes and the collector?

I looks like it would be a source of leakage and noise.
Mark Henry
Which system is that?
Mueller
Mark,

It's from European Motorworks, it supposed to be a step up over the Kerry Hunter units and a little bit below the CFR headers...who knows??

KH: 350
EM: 300
CFR: 1200

For the cost I couldn't pass it up...I think they are normally 100+ bucks more, but they had been in the middle of moving to a new location and needed to get rid of it.

Paragon sells them for 425 or 475
Mark Henry
Try a muffler shop.

Some OEM systems use springs, I bet you will have a rice part on your teen! LOL!
RICE fighting19.gif
swood
Hey Mike,

Is that European Motorworks down here in Hawthorne?
campbellcj
I'm missing 1 spring (out of 4) too. Lemme know if you find a cheapie online source for them. I haven't seen them on Jegs, Summit, CB, etc.

Even with all 4, I think the "press fit" collectors are probably pretty leaky. Kind of a bizzare design, but what do I know. You never see 911 or even Chebby headers with a separate collector, eh?

Your muffler setup looks pretty cool. It may just be an optical illusion, but it looks similar to the one my car's PO had fabbed up, but the tubes seem longer (?). It looks like the tail pipe would stick way out from the car...The J/L bend probably is inwards farther than mine was.
ChrisFoley
Just from that picture I would say it is a small step up from the KHH. The primaries are shorter; also the secondary is longer, with room for a decent muffler.
On the other hand, it looks like you could run into ground clearance issues, and it doesn't look like there's room for a Tuna can under the sump.
Mueller
You get what you pay's for smile.gif

The quality is okay...the stub pipes don't bolt directly to the flanges on the primary tubes so I'll have to make the holes oblong to get it to fit....

At the union for the collector and secondary pipe, one of the welds is too close to a thru hole so that the nut or washer will not lay flat....

No intructions...but I guess that is payback for not sending JP instructions for his bearings smile.gif mueba.gif
Zeke
Most racing kart shops have the exhaust springs. One of the mail order shops is Comet Kart Sales which is the one owned by Mark Dismore of the IRL, I think. I used to have a bunch, but they don't last forever. Let me know if you don't find them easily and I'll make some calls to my old haunts (kart shops) and get the skinny on the wholesaler. They should come in half inch increments. aktion035.gif
http://www.cometkartsales.com/store/p%26h/springs.htm
campbellcj
Chris "Farley" (LOL) called it; the primary tubes are very short i.e. the collector is way back under the car.

I have what I think is an older (1998 vintage) Eurorace setup, which was put on by the PO. Seems to be pretty good quality, although I do not really have anything to compare it to. It does use the stub tubes that bolt right up to the heads. The primaries are longer, i.e. my muffler is bolted up almost directly behind the collector, just a super short flange and stub tube there.

Milt - Thanks for the link to the springs. I wonder if those guys would mind if I placed a $0.70 order? (or even $6.80 if I get 4 of the "gold" springs).
Zeke
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 18 2003, 11:35 PM)
Chris "Farley" (LOL) called it; the primary tubes are very short i.e. the collector is way back under the car.

I have what I think is an older (1998 vintage) Eurorace setup, which was put on by the PO. Seems to be pretty good quality, although I do not really have anything to compare it to. It does use the stub tubes that bolt right up to the heads. The primaries are longer, i.e. my muffler is bolted up almost directly behind the collector, just a super short flange and stub tube there.

Milt - Thanks for the link to the springs. I wonder if those guys would mind if I placed a $0.70 order? (or even $6.80 if I get 4 of the "gold" springs).

$0.70, LOL! Chris, check out kart shops in the Valley. Used to be Pitts (Chuck Pittenger), Mike Manning (former world champion), Jim Hall II in Ventura, etc. It's been so long since I've seen these guys, I don't know who's who any more. Lots a kart shops around. In fact, I'm going to use a kart head temp guage, or two (they had duals for the older dual engine karts).
Zeke
Ok, after fighting all damn day under the car installing my billet clutch pulley with the European headers already installed, why do they and Kerry Hunter go over to the passenger side when there are no cables on the driver's side? Starter motor? Please don't tell me it's because of the little cut out in the valance. That's for sure where form doesn't follow function.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.