Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dream list
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrcui
Thinking about future projects after fixing the hell hole and oil leak. Would like to replace muffler/exhaust set- up on my stock '75 2.0 FI but have no idea what the best set-up would be.

Calling the gurus to provide insight....

Thanks,
Vince chatsmiley.gif
jrcui
And I know I'm an idiot... I should have done a search first before asking this again...
headbang.gif
Allan
QUOTE (jrcui @ Feb 15 2006, 04:02 PM)
And I know I'm an idiot... I should have done a search first before asking this again...
headbang.gif

Early SS H/E's with a Bursch muffler.
tod914
When I was searching sometime ago, Triad coupled with 73-74 SS Heat Exchangers seemed well recieved. Just going through some threads Tangerine offers a nice performance increase. I believe that's more of a track set up though. I ended up with a bursch street mufler with my stock 75 exchangers. Didn't really notice any performance improvements. Sounds nicer than stock, but has poor quality paint and that burns off. I believe the Dansk would be the closest to OEM (73-74) set up. You'll gain a couple pony's by switching over to the eariler setup.
Aaron Cox
bursch blows...

my favorite setup was SSI 2L heat exchangers, and the dual exit Triad exhaust....

AA

now i have a 'eurorace' header. no heat smile.gif
EdwardBlume
AA - what about Bursch blows and makes Triad better? Just curious.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Rob Ways @ Feb 15 2006, 08:45 PM)
AA - what about Bursch blows and makes Triad better? Just curious.

quality.

bursch flanges are super thin, and not a flat finish. (albeit the crush gasket alleviates most of the concern). within 20 minutes, the NEW bursch had turned into a paintless smoking muffler.....

wasnt impressed.

now... the triad.
THICK flanges. dead straight. nice welds everywhere. a great design. sounds great, and best of all, they have a coating that does not turn colors or burn off.
Allan
I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend. I was running early h/e's and a Sebring ($129.00) on my '75 and was happy with the combo.

Sounded good and made it much faster than Aarons car. burnout.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (tod914 @ Feb 15 2006, 07:18 PM)
Just going through some threads Tangerine offers a nice performance increase. I believe that's more of a track set up though.

The Tangerine EVO header with my Stage II Silencer is intended specifically for street cars, and I can provide heat as well. smile.gif
If you are looking for the best performance on any size T4 engine in your 914 the Tangerine is the exhaust system to have, assuming cost is a secondary factor in your decision making process. wink.gif
Joe Ricard
pray.gif Tangerine
Probably the best performance mod I have done to my car. However the Mallory distributor was done at the same time so the HP Torque improvements only complimented each other.
Yea it is faster....... way faster. I got the phase 9 silencer getting used to it. my nieghbors can eat stromberg.gif or move.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 16 2006, 07:21 AM)
pray.gif Tangerine
Probably the best performance mod I have done to my car.

Thanks Joe,
Since you have already made a long trip with the new setup I would appreciate some subjective impressions of the loudness. Did it make you physically uncomfortable after a while? Did you have ringing ears after you got out of the car? If so, for how long? Also, what was your impression of the sound while watching your son on the A/X course? Was there a particular RPM where the sound was noticably louder? (I tried your A/X video link to get a listen but it didn't work for me.)
My understanding of what the Stage I silencer does is that it significantly cuts the high frequencies (that sound meters react to) but not the lows. I think that means the sound will carry and you will really feel it, but it shouldn't make you "sick" or give you the ringing ear problem (I hope).
I once drove a Camaro race car with NO muffler for over 2 hours straight on the highway. My ears and head hurt for hours afterwards. My first 914 street car had a Thunderbird muffler with SS H/E's on a stock 1.7L. That setup made my ears ring after only a short time behind the wheel.
On my F Production race car the Stage I silencer doesn't seem loud at all. In fact I wish more of my fellow competitors would cut their sound to a similar level.
VaccaRabite
Are there any numbers for 2.0s with Bursch vs 2.0 with Triad (both with stainless heat exchangers?

I am also converting my 76 to SSI and was going to drop in a new Bursch.

Zach
Tom
I am in the process of converting my 76 2.0 to SS heat exchangers and a Traid. Found a pair of early 1.7 SS 's and Dave at Triad is converting them to later 2.0 style so his muffler system will work. I like the looks and quality of his muffler and he is only 55 miles from me.
Tom
Mueller
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Feb 16 2006, 07:25 AM)
Are there any numbers for 2.0s with Bursch vs 2.0 with Triad (both with stainless heat exchangers?

Zach

I've never seen any published data stating the Triad gains power over stock or even a Bursch....I have read that the sound of the Triad is superior to the others as far as street H/E w/mufflers go....

1 very positive thing about the Triads is that it is built and sold by someone willing to help support the 914 community...
blitZ
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Feb 16 2006, 06:25 AM)

Zach

I'm doing the same thing, replacing the late (75/76) demonic exhaust with SSI HEs and the Triad.
Aaron Cox
you will LOVE the triad.....

im keeping mine for my next car
brer
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 15 2006, 08:41 PM)
bursch blows...

my favorite setup was SSI 2L heat exchangers, and the dual exit Triad exhaust....

AA

now i have a 'eurorace' header. no heat smile.gif

thats what i got. smilie_pokal.gif

its still in the box though headbang.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.