Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minor update on the 3.3 turbo (No avatar content)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mugs914
The trans mount part of the tube frame is finally done. At this point a lot of the remaining sheet metal will be going away and being replaced by tubes to support wings, decklid, etc..

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif And so it goes...

Pics:
Mugs914
still have to fab up the actual mount that bolts to the tranny...
Mugs914
Another angle...
LvSteveH
Nice work! It looks like it's too late, but there is a shop that does a side shift conversion for the G50, and the rod comes out of the trans at about the middle on the driver's side, very clean, gets you about 5" shorter (length of the rear shift rod). Great project, I look forward to seeing the progress.
Mugs914
Rear shot. The final rear ride height will be a few inches lower...
Mugs914
One more interior shot. Finished up the dead pedal, left leg support and a few other details...
Sideways
Where did you get that cable shifter from?

Did you machine the oil galleries inside the transmission case before you inverted it?

byndbad914
Holy crap, I thought my 930 trans was bad because the shift linkage just kisses the inner rear bumper panel. I knew those G50 variations were longer, but that really hangs out there.

I am constant fear of getting bumped at the rear biggrin.gif That would be about a $5K 5mph crash wink.gif So since I am doing a full tube car, I am moving the firewall forward a few more inches and moving everything forward for 2 reasons... the first is the shift shaft fear, the other is to better redistribute my weight forward (I have a V8 car so a bit different, but I would still think you may be a little tail heavy in weight distribution).

Any particular reason you didn't move the engine/trans forward a bit to bring the linkage "in house" so to say?

What are you setting your final ride height to?

Tim
Mugs914
QUOTE (Sideways @ Feb 15 2006, 05:20 PM)
Where did you get that cable shifter from?

Did you machine the oil galleries inside the transmission case before you inverted it?

The cable shifter came from Patrick Motorsports in Phoenix. They also converted the G50 to run inverted, galleries, plugs and all...
Aaron Cox
mike... absolutely killer!!!!

come up to joes bbq saturday!
Mugs914
QUOTE (byndbad914 @ Feb 15 2006, 05:40 PM)
Holy crap, I thought my 930 trans was bad because the shift linkage just kisses the inner rear bumper panel. I knew those G50 variations were longer, but that really hangs out there.

I am constant fear of getting bumped at the rear biggrin.gif That would be about a $5K 5mph crash wink.gif So since I am doing a full tube car, I am moving the firewall forward a few more inches and moving everything forward for 2 reasons... the first is the shift shaft fear, the other is to better redistribute my weight forward (I have a V8 car so a bit different, but I would still think you may be a little tail heavy in weight distribution).

Any particular reason you didn't move the engine/trans forward a bit to bring the linkage "in house" so to say?

What are you setting your final ride height to?

Tim

Oh yeah, the G50/52s are L-O-N-G!

As you see it, the engine is only about an inch farther forward than in my 3.0 road car, but it will move forward a bit more when the mounts are finished. It still leaves the shift rod really close to the rear bodywork. That rear tow hook/bumper is to take the hit instead of the trans.

As for weight distribution, the fuel cell, oil tank and coolers all live up front, so I'm not too worried about it balancing properly. It'll go on the scales when I place the major components so I'll have a good idea about where things need to go.

The initial ride height will be somewhere around 3" up front and 3.5" in the rear. It may actually go higher than that though. This car will have full underbody ground effects, so ride height will be determined by testing, ultimately.
TravisNeff
Damn that G50 is long, at least you you get a built in tow hook in the back!
Mugs914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 15 2006, 06:04 PM)
mike... absolutely killer!!!!

come up to joes bbq saturday!

Thanks!

I'm puttin' my name in for Joe's, though the "boss" might have something planned already... mad.gif

What time do things get started and how late do they go? Or should I say how long will everyone be coherent? beerchug.gif beer.gif drunk.gif
db9146
Mike,

How does it shift compared to a 901 or a 915? Have you lived with it very long (reliability)?
sixnotfour
Nice work! It looks like it's too late, but there is a shop that does a side shift conversion for the G50, and the rod comes out of the trans at about the middle on the driver's side, very clean, gets you about 5" shorter (length of the rear shift rod). Great project, I look forward to seeing the progress.

Could you give us some more info ? contact?
Thanks
LvSteveH
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Feb 16 2006, 02:00 PM)

Could you give us some more info ? contact?
Thanks

California Motorsports does the conversinon. They also do the ring gear flips for the 930 Turbo trans. Nice place.
sixnotfour
Wow thanks , looks like they know what they are doing. drooley.gif
Mugs914
QUOTE (db9146 @ Feb 16 2006, 01:42 PM)
Mike,

How does it shift compared to a 901 or a 915? Have you lived with it very long (reliability)?

It's a much shorter throw and much more crisp. My road car has a 901 with a Weltmeister short throw shifter. It's one of the nicest shifting 901s I've driven, and the cable set-up is just as good if not better. In fact I wouldn't hesitate to use a tail shifter 901 with the cables rather than a side shifter.

As far as reliability I don't really know, I haven't had it long enough. But the Patrick has been using them for years in both street and race cars without trouble. There is very little to go wrong... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.