Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New (to me) 2.0 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srb7f
I just purchased a 75' 2.0 engine to replace my tired 1.8 that's got about 95,000 miles on it. According to the seller, the compression ratios are 125, 130, 130, 125 in order. Uncertain on mileage, but I'm trying to decide what I want to do with the engine.
One option is cleaning it up, putting it in with the SSIs and bursch muffler for my 1.8.

I don't really want to get into expensive head work or engine rebuilds right now, but is there anything simple (like putting in new rings) and fairly inexpensive which will increase the compression and increase the power before I put the engine in?

I don't have too much experience with engine work, but as I rebuilt everything else on the 914, I'm sure I could learn. As far as my use for the engine, I basically drive the car aggressively on the street during nice days, but I do like to get to an autocross or two per year if time allows. Any input is greatly appreciated from someone with more experience with engines. Steve
Allan
If it has good compression and turns freely why not just put it in, run it and see what you have.
Gint
Slap it in the car and drive it! driving.gif
yarin
It's so easy to install and drop a motor in these cars i'd say just slap it in and GO.

Compression sounds good. Any idea what leakdown is? You will notice a nice power difference between a 1.8 and good 2.0.

Sky is the limit as far as engine work goes.
type47
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 15 2006, 05:49 PM)
If it has good compression and turns freely why not just put it in, run it and see what you have.

how complete? complete with induction system?

what they said. heck, you could L-jet it if you don't have the induction... just ask bd1308 laugh.gif
srb7f
Induction system included. It's everything from intake to exhaust, with transmission included. Stock D-jet from 75, but I will be using my SSI from my 1.8 since they won't rust and will be less restrictive than the later style exhaust. Sounds like the thing to do is drop it in and go. I am pretty excited about the power difference.

Aren't the compression readings kinda low? The range was from like 120-156 in the haynes manual. I did notice that there was a minimum of 93, which is quite far away from the 125-130 of this motor.

It is my understanding that the reason the 75-76 2.0s were not as powerful as the 73-74s was the more restrictive exhaust. Is there anything else in the intake system that was better with the old style? Thanks for the suggestions.
Steve
Allan
If those compression numbers are accurate they're not that bad. You want to look at consistancy.
EdwardBlume
Definitely put it in and run it. If you keep the FI and need to replace any of the parts, it could ring up in a hurry. Run it for awhile and enjoy!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.