Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Disconnecting cable from e-brake handle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bertus
Just want to make sure I have this right before I go wailing on this and F something up! Took the parking brake handle out so I can clean up the area underneath it. The retaining clip that holds the pin that connects the cable to the handle disintegrated in my hand when I tried to pull it off.

The pin should be driven out towards the outside of the car correct? Because this bastard is not budging at all! mad.gif So unless I am missing something obvious (which is always possible) the cable must be rusted to the pin, suggestions on how to remedy this.

Done the wd40 and banging with a hammer. I can clean up the area underneath by unconnecting the handle from the long, but I would like to remove tha handle completely so I can clean the handle up.

Thanks!
VaccaRabite
shoot it with penetrating oil, and let it sit.

Also, have you taken off the retaining clip? I did this several months ago now, and am trying to remember what was involved. Mine was also a tight fit. I think it ended up being oil + time + hammer to get it off.

Generally if somehting is stuk or frozen, I'll shoot it with oil, and let it sit overnight. This gives me time to ponder if I am going about it the right way, and gives the oil time to penetrate and lube.

Zach
messix
do you have it out of the car? if not then, that single cable goes to a two cable connector,by the firewall behind the seat kinda, its easier top disconnect it there.
rhodyguy
forget the Water Displacement formula #40. get some pb blaster, aerokroil... something that really penetrates.

k
Bertus
QUOTE (messix @ Feb 16 2006, 08:54 AM)
do you have it out of the car? if not then, that single cable goes to a two cable connector,by the firewall behind the seat kinda, its easier top disconnect it there.

I'll try giving that a shot. Thanks!
rhodyguy
worst case, you can disconnect the 2 cables at the rear calipers. that should give you enough slack to get the cable ends off the hooks on the t shaped piece connected to the handle.

k
markb
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Feb 16 2006, 09:19 AM)
forget the Water Displacement formula #40. get some pb blaster, aerokroil... something that really penetrates.

k

agree.gif
McMark
Getting that pin out is one of the PITA projects. mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.