Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Easiest way to remove cowl vent grille?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914-8
Need to remove for paint. The little plastic grille on the cowl between the windshield wipers.

What's the easiest way to get it out?
mrdezyne
I think you are talking about the plastic peice under the cowl like this one?
mrdezyne
My 73 didn't have that do-hicky, but you will need to remove this fan and air box to get to that grill I think.....
bondo
The "easy" way is to cut the cowl out with a plasma cutter, and weld it back in afterwards.. whicjh gives you an idea of how much of a pain the "right" way (taking out the air box) is.. biggrin.gif
mrdezyne
True! agree.gif

I guess I should have said that there is NO easy way......
736conver
Cant you just slide some paper strips onto the top of it.
bondo
QUOTE (736conver @ Feb 16 2006, 03:40 PM)
Cant you just slide some paper strips onto the top of it.

There's a gasket around it.. if the gasket is still good, it would be difficult. Pretty much every one of those I have seen has been painted.. I think it's fairly standard to just leave it.

You might be able to mask it with little oval bits of masking tape, but that would be hard too.
736conver
There's a gasket around it.. if the gasket is still good, it would be difficult.
There's enough flex in that piece to slide paper right onto that, from the top through the vent holes. Doesnt matter if the gaskets is new or old.
bondo
Ooh, I get it.. clever! Might take a couple of overlapping pieces of paper, but it would certainly work.
736conver
Tricky yet so simple. 3X5 cards would work the easiest
914-8
3x5 cards, slid in from the top, sounds like the way to go.

Now that I think about it, I think that's what I did when I painted my last 914 in my garage 10 years ago.

914-8
Came out nice!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.