914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
smoke.gif
170 HP 1.7 on Ebay
ClayPerrine
Sixes sound SOOOO much better. biggrin.gif

bd1308
I call BS.

and to top it off, the owner put a very high-performance single redline weber carb on it, to give it that top end power it needs....

rolleyes.gif
Rand
Pretty funny. We already batted this around in a previous thread.
tracks914
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 16 2006, 07:07 PM)
I call BS.

and to top it off, the owner put a very high-performance single redline weber carb on it, to give it that top end power it needs....

rolleyes.gif

Ya maybe if he put a 500 Holley on it and 2" runner tubes.......
Still sounds like BS. cool_shades.gif
tracks914
QUOTE (Rand @ Feb 16 2006, 07:09 PM)
Pretty funny. We already batted this around in a previous thread.

Oops, I missed that one.
Still BS
nbscooters
WTF.gif bs.gif
bd1308
shit i shoudl have kept the single carb on it, man i could have had 110HP from that setup...maybe i didnt have it tuned right or something. I guess the heads have to start glowing red hot, and then you'll know you are making some serious HP.

b
Rand
It cracks me up that he basically says...
"It is clear" that you'll get this kind of power because of this combination: 1.7l, single carb, fly-cut heads, mild stainless valves.
wacko.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (Rand @ Feb 16 2006, 09:18 PM)
It cracks me up that he basically says...
"It is clear" that you'll get this kind of power because of this combination: 1.7l, single carb, fly-cut heads, mild stainless valves.
wacko.gif

the only thing that is "clear" is that he's an idiot.

and anyone who bids on that thing gets what they deserve.

did stromberg.gif move to the east coast?

b
Twystd1
You guys need to STOP making fun of Slits sales pitch on E-Bay...

The guy is just trying to make a buck... Lay off him...!!!!!

Twystd1
Allan
I have a 6, it sounds like this
Rand
You guys need to STOP making fun of Slits sales pitch on E-Bay...

Haha.

He says "If you have any doubts, we can take you for a spin in the street rod just to show you its performance capabilities."

Not that you can determine the actual horsepower that way, but hey... Anybody in Easton PA having the same doubts? Would love to hear about a first hand experience with this guy and his street rod.
Rand
*** BREAKING NEWS ***

I had questioned the seller... How are you able to know that "By changing all of this it is clear that the hp will be at least 140 with the single webber set up, if you have the dual webber set up, you would add another 25 hp, so that comes to around 170 hp." ????

Here is his actual response:

there is a formula that is used:
1. Determine the displacement of the engine:
Find the area of the bore in square inches (pr2).
Multiply the area by the stroke.
This gives you the cubic inch displacement for 1 cylinder.
Multiply by the number of cylinders.
2. Determine horsepower.
Multiply displacement by engine RPM
Divide that figure by the constant (7,000)

Dang, this is genius. This is going to put all the dyno guys out of business! laugh.gif
rhcb914
My favorite is his answer to the question as how the horsepower was determined.

"it hasn't been driven on the road to determine those times (we do not want to kill the motor)." lol2.gif

I love it. A newly rebuilt motor and he doesn't want to kill it by driving it on the street. wacko.gif

Rand
That's interesting. Hasn't been driven on the road, but it's in a street rod bug and if you have doubts he will take you for a spin to show you its performance capabilities.

Whatever. Maybe his reserve won't be met and nobody will get hosed.
alpha434
Isn't there some sort of legal protection against someone getting hosed that badly? What happens when some poor dope gets it and has it dynoed? hitfan[1].gif
ChrisFoley
I have a 1.7L engine that has 94mm pistons and it made about 145hp with dual 40IDF webers. It took quite a bit of head work and carb modification to get there. 11:1 compression, Web 86a cam, HD single springs, SS valves (stock 1.8L dia.), Ti retainers, ceramic lifters, Tangerine header. Redline was around 6800 rpm IIRC. Not much oomph below 4k rpm.
The guy probably felt that the car accelerated about twice as fast as before, therefore it must have twice the horsepower. cool_shades.gif
Rand
Chris, I seriously doubt his engine puts out anything close to the HP of yours!

I wish he would have said "feels like it has 200hp!!!" But he says he used a formula to calculate the horsepower and "it is clear" it will have "at least" that much power.
bs.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
"This motor has just been broken in and only has about 100-150 miles on it. This engine is alot of fun and is very dependable."

Wow...less than 200 miles on it and already it's considered "very dependable". I wonder if there's a formula for determining dependability. Probablly has something to do with the number of miles on an engine before it's broken-in.

rolleyes.gif dry.gif bs.gif
bondo
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 16 2006, 09:18 PM)
Isn't there some sort of legal protection against someone getting hosed that badly? What happens when some poor dope gets it and has it dynoed? hitfan[1].gif

There is no protection for not doing your homework, or biting on an offer that's "too good to be true".. buyer beware!
alpha434
Not even some sort of "false advertising" protection?
bondo
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 16 2006, 11:09 PM)
Not even some sort of "false advertising" protection?

I'm pretty sure that stuff only apples to "products". This is just some guy on ebay. As long as you get an engine of some sort, ebay and paypal aren't going to give a damn.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Rand @ Feb 16 2006, 11:47 PM)
Chris, I seriously doubt his engine puts out anything close to the HP of yours!

bs.gif

agree.gif
I included my specs as a comparison. It is possible to achieve the #s but the seller "clearly" hasn't done all his homework, formula or no. rolleyes.gif
Another point - I don't think a Beetle uses the same flywheel, as the seller said in his answer to one of the questions.
redshift
It's alot of fun! And DEPENDABLE! For maybe the last 100-150 miles!! It only has 100-150 miles on it!

Fuck off, liars, ebay trash..

I am getting pissed off in my older age.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.