Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 V8 3D cutaway
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
marks914
Thanks to all who helped me find some 914 blueprints. I started my project at lunch this week at work. I will be able to create cutaway images of the car in any angle, any color combination. I have some killer rendering software too. The images will be 2/3 3D model, 1/3 sketch.
Here is what I have roughed in so far, still needs some work before I start the details.

Mark

marks914
marks914
marks914
marks914
mrdezyne
FREAKIN SCHWEET! Can you export this as an IGES file? I'd love a copy to use in Pro-E or Solidworks.....
marks914
Start of the SBC
marks914

Goge
Surface modeling perhaps?? What software are you using?
Send me an IGES and I'll see if I can't massage it into a solid so that I can make a rapid prototype of it here at work!

mrdezyne- we use SolidWorks at my place of work. Good stuff! I've heard Pro-E is a little higher end though.

-Todd
marks914
Here is an example of this technique, I used it a few years ago in school.
Mark

marks914
I am using Alias. Its a NURBS based program. We also use CATA for surface modeling. I use Alias because its fast and it makes a pretty picture, I'm no downtown surface guy in the tube. I usually build something rough and hand it off to a CATIA surface person in our group and they sweeten it up. We also have an awesome Proprietary rendering software that converts te NURBS to polygons and renders in real time, you can move the model in real time too.

Give me a few more days of lunches working on it and I should have the exterior finished up. I can export to: IGES, STP,CAI,WIRE,DXF,INV and a few more that I can't remember.

Mark
Goge
By the way, I very rudely forgot to say: very nice work!!
neo914-6
That is awesome Mark! smilie_pokal.gif

sell some prints, I'll buy one...
mrdezyne
QUOTE (Goge @ Feb 17 2006, 01:31 PM)
Surface modeling perhaps?? What software are you using?
Send me an IGES and I'll see if I can't massage it into a solid so that I can make a rapid prototype of it here at work!

mrdezyne- we use SolidWorks at my place of work. Good stuff! I've heard Pro-E is a little higher end though.

-Todd

That is exactly what I had in mind, making an SLA model and then creating a silicone mold to cast urathane models from.

Pro-E is highway robbery, not many more features than Solidworks but about 4 times the price or more. In fact, when Pro-E came out with the version "Wild Fire", they used a lot of the same techniques to create solids that Solidworks uses. Anyway, stick with Solidworks and get warm fuzzies every day knowing you spent a fraction of what we spend on our updates.

I can use an IGES or STP file, DXF is 2D and I'm not sure about the others.... I'd take a copy as it sits right now, that is very nice work! pray.gif
Goge
I have a local contact that does silicone molds/urethane parts. We make the masters, and he does the soft mold stuff.

Wasn't there somebody on here doing RC 914 bodies? One thing I can do here is RP up a master and then vacuform over that (could make some nice RC car bodies).

We don't have SLA, it's ABS plastic extruded very thin that's built up in layers. It's a little rougher surface to begin with than SLA, but can be made smooth with a little work.

Mark, I'm offering to make a free prototype for you if you'd like. Might be kinda neat for you to have, if the files can be made to work.

-TH
marks914
QUOTE (Goge @ Feb 17 2006, 03:15 PM)
I have a local contact that does silicone molds/urethane parts. We make the masters, and he does the soft mold stuff.

Wasn't there somebody on here doing RC 914 bodies? One thing I can do here is RP up a master and then vacuform over that (could make some nice RC car bodies).

We don't have SLA, it's ABS plastic extruded very thin that's built up in layers. It's a little rougher surface to begin with than SLA, but can be made smooth with a little work.

Mark, I'm offering to make a free prototype for you if you'd like. Might be kinda neat for you to have, if the files can be made to work.

-TH

Sounds good. Give me a few days to finish the exterior! We have some SLA machines at work too but they are running 24/7 with work related stuff.

Mark

Goge
Well forget it then if you already have your own toy-making machines!!

Just kidding, I'd love to see the files and build you a part. Our machine usually runs full-tilt too but I can always shoehorn 'important' jobs into the build queue!

-TH
Maltese Falcon
Mark, nice cutaway format smile.gif
Here's an old one out of my sketchbook on the 3.2 biturbo. I was laying out the parallel turbos, etc. The graphics study on the intercooler wound up as simply MSDS, but one day I'll airbrush it as TAG or Sunoco ...
Marty
Katmanken
AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaa...........

Alias........ UNCLEAN!!!!!!!!

Run children run....

Ain't never had an Alias file come in clean...

Industrial Design guys used Alias for the swoopy handle shapes at my former place of work. Trying to import them into ANYTHING and shell it out was a real chore and time hog for a top notch designer. Tried CADDS 5, ProE, UGS IDeas, still a pain. Sometimes those NURBS aren't stiched so ya goota go in by hand and locate the problems and then futz with them.

Ken
marks914
QUOTE (kwales @ Feb 18 2006, 09:04 AM)
AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaa...........

Alias........ UNCLEAN!!!!!!!!

Run children run....

Ain't never had an Alias file come in clean...

Industrial Design guys used Alias for the swoopy handle shapes at my former place of work. Trying to import them into ANYTHING and shell it out was a real chore and time hog for a top notch designer. Tried CADDS 5, ProE, UGS IDeas, still a pain. Sometimes those NURBS aren't stiched so ya goota go in by hand and locate the problems and then futz with them.

Ken

I haven't had any problems yet. I ship IGES, CAIs and STPs to CATIA guys all the time.
Mark
marks914
Heres the semi finished exterior, it needs some tweeks, but its good enough for what I need

Mark

marks914
marks914
marks914
On to the interior and the rest..

Mark
gepetto143
WOW ohmy.gif:O

it really look's good!

QUOTE (Goge @ Feb 17 2006, 03:15 PM)
I have a local contact that does silicone molds/urethane parts. We make the masters, and he does the soft mold stuff.Wasn't there somebody on here doing RC 914 bodies? One thing I can do here is RP up a master and then vacuform over that (could make some nice RC car bodies).

Can someone give me more info about these RC 914 bodies?
Goge
kwales- you speak with wisdom!! I've run into alot of surfacing stuff that can't cut it. But we'll see if this file has a chance. It only takes time to clean them up- that's usually why I turn away people using Rhino and others. No time! Patch and fill, patch and fill, stitch and swear!

It shure looks gud though, good job Mark!

gepetto143: do a search for "RC body" and see what turns up. I know I saw it somewhere, but probably not in the "garage".

-TH
alpha434
Absolutely beautiful. Mark, would you mind if I used a few of your renderings to do paint layouts on? Nobody else has that good of a picture with the 916 bumper. Or that good of a picture, period.

smilie_pokal.gif

Really does look great!
914Timo

WOWWW !!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif clap56.gif pray.gif
johannes
GREAT JOB !!!! smiley_notworthy.gif smiley_notworthy.gif smiley_notworthy.gif smiley_notworthy.gif
marks914
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 21 2006, 10:47 PM)
Absolutely beautiful. Mark, would you mind if I used a few of your renderings to do paint layouts on? Nobody else has that good of a picture with the 916 bumper. Or that good of a picture, period.

smilie_pokal.gif

Really does look great!

Go right ahead, as long as you are not selling them.
Mark
mrdezyne
are you ready to try and export an IGES yet? I'd like to use this as a platform to model my body mods. You can simplify it by removing anything that is specific to your teener if you like, I just need the basic body... Thanks.

Curt

Oh, and I promise not to sell any part of it.
marks914
QUOTE (mrdezyne @ Feb 22 2006, 08:21 AM)
are you ready to try and export an IGES yet? I'd like to use this as a platform to model my body mods. You can simplify it by removing anything that is specific to your teener if you like, I just need the basic body... Thanks.

Curt

Oh, and I promise not to sell any part of it.

Curt
Send me a PM with your email and I will send it to you. I wouldn't try milling from the surface, I built from blueprints, not a scan. There's a few rough parts, but for the most part its pretty decent.
Mark
siverson
That's pretty cool, but doesn't Jeroen own the copyright to this image... wink.gif

user posted image

-Steve
marks914
QUOTE (siverson @ Feb 22 2006, 06:53 PM)
That's pretty cool, but doesn't Jeroen own the copyright to this image...  ;)

user posted image

-Steve

HUH?

Im not sure what you are talking about.
Thats like saying that someone has the copywrights to a photo of my car.
This is a snapshot of my 3D model.

Mark
Andyrew
he has the copyright to the 914 outline at the top of your screen...

there was a thread earlyer about the validity of that copyright, but I havent seen it lately.
jonwatts
And to add to Andyrew, it was a joke with a little poke.gif at Jeroen.

Nice work on the model (and quick). Isn't it amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it, and are bored at work laugh.gif
marks914
Here is a quick rough of the cutaway...
It needs some work, but its a good start
Mark
bondo
That's awesome! When you're done you're gonna be able to sell alot of prints.. whether or not that was the intent. smile.gif

If you made different versions with different engine configs and could crank them out in different colors by request, you'd have soooo many buyers!

How long does it take to render one of these images? I remember back in the day when I used to render stuff in lightwave on my 040 Amiga.. at TV quality resolution, a frame of that complexity would take a loooong time. I imagine it's much faster now. smile.gif
marks914
Thanks!
I can change any of the colors on any of the parts. The software renders and rotates the vehicle in real time, so it takes zero time. I can also render in alias but that is a long process, but it can raytrace. If someone has the data on another engine, I can just pop it in. It was the intent to be able to swap parts to make different cars.
Mark
Root_Werks
No kidding! That looks amazing! I would even think about contacting Renegade. I bet they would jump on buying some up from you. Great job! smilie_pokal.gif
marks914
Here is a bigger, touched up version, I should have the final version done this week. Still have to add some details, engine mounts, hoses, cutlines, etc.
Mark
i love porsche
wow..that looks really great! smilie_pokal.gif
Bigbohr
That's awesome. Hope you don't mind I use it on my desktop. What's your plans with this 3D rendering?

SpecialK
Fantastic Job, totally impressive!! beer.gif I've got a fully functional version of CATIA P3 V5 R15 that I've been playing with. I went to school for AutoCad software applications (Inventor's my fav), prefer Solidworks, but my company uses CATIA. I figure that if I have a chance in hell of applying/getting a job in that field at Boeing, I'd better concentrate on what they use. I'd love to have a copy of that file pray.gif if you decide to share it with the club. (for my own personal use of course!)
marks914
Thanks all

My plans are to eventually be able to create any configuration in any color at any angle and provide this service to the community. I would be willing to share the files with anyone who could contribute data (scan, actual model of parts, engine, trans, etc.)

Mark
johannes
That's awesome !!!!

Great job ... I like it very much. Can you also make movies from moving camera ?
aircooledboy
Mark, that is amazing!! beerchug.gif

When you get all the details ironed out, I'd love to talk about buying a customized color scheme print. clap56.gif
jonwatts
Mark, do you use a drawing tablet? I've been thinking of getting one.

TravisNeff
Excellent work, any way this can be used as a GT legends car? May be a stretch, but it would be cool!
Rand
Nice work Mark! It's getting better all the time. Very cool. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.