Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No holes for sway bar...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Korijo
I searched, but no luck.

Bought a 1 1/16" hole saw (all my old ones are worn out), but it seems too small next to the Tarret bar.

What size do I need ??
ChrisFoley
1 1/16 is close to 27mm which would be big enough for up to about a 22mm bar, as long as the hole is well centered. If you don't want to buy a bigger hole saw you can open up the hole with a carbide burr in a die grinder.
Are you welding a reinforcement inside, below the gas tank?
Ira Ramin
Dave,
The bar OD is 1”, which will be pretty tight in the 1.062” hole. You don’t want the bar to rub on the edge of the hole. To be safe, I’d open it up a little more with a die grinder.

Ira
Qarl
ohmy.gif Are there instructions? My Smart Racing bar has a bushing sleeve that goes through the hole so it needs a slightly larger hole.

The instructions for my bar says to use a 1 3/8" hole, but it's for a different bar, so don't follow my instructions.

If all else fails, read the instructions or call Tarret.
Bruce Allert
Hey there Dave, I just installed a stock sway a few weekends ago. The PP directions said to use a 1" hole saw. That worked fine with mucho room to spare.
bruce
Korijo
I dont have any existing holes, so I cant go the die grinder route yet. I just tried to fit the hole saw on the end of the bar. I guess I will get 1-1/8" and have 1/16th of extra room, just to be safe.

Bruce, I got a Tarret bar. Inch is too small. wink.gif

Thanks y'all
smilie_rolli_1.gif
ChrisReale
Davre, If I remember correctly, the tarett bar is bigger than 22mm, because it is hollow. So, I think it is closer to 25mm hollow, which = 22mm solid...
DNHunt
Hey my hearing has finally cleared up. When's the next poundin party

Dave
Korijo
Dave,

I think Chris and Kevin are coming next week to put my front susp. on to test fit my wheels. Then, we can see how much futher we need to go.

I think John said sometime in Oct.
Jeroen
Dave,

Tarett bar needs a 1.125" hole saw
(got the instructions for the bar right in from of my nose biggrin.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeffs9146
I hope you don't mind but I am going to tag on to this thread with a related question!

I heard a clunking in the front of my 6 yesterday and a shake at 60 mph or above so I took a look at the front and noticed that there was only one bolt holding the sway bar in place. When I pulled the tank out to look at what was going on I found that the inside plate had the bottem nut part removed and only the top two nuts were left. Should I remove the inside plate and replace it with a 3 hole plate?
Jeffs9146
Jeffs9146
Jeroen
Hey Jeff,

Yep, get a new inner reinforcement plate
You need to grind a small pice of sheetmetal out of the way (out of the boxed part underneath the plate, which is shown in your first pic)
Also weld then new plate to the chassis

Check the thread on Jenny's car, it shows a couple of pics of the inner plate installed

cheers,

Jeroen
Korijo
Jeff,

Looks like someone didn't notch the sheet metal under the tank for the bottom bolt. Does the triangle plate seem to be cut ??

Or, does it come from the factory that way ??
Jeffs9146
Yep, get a new inner reinforcement plate
You need to grind a small pice of sheetmetal out of the way (out of the boxed part underneath the plate, which is shown in your first pic)
Also weld then new plate to the chassis

That's what I thought I would have to do!! Bummer!

Looks like someone didn't notch the sheet metal under the tank for the bottom bolt. Does the triangle plate seem to be cut ??

Yep!! I felt under the bar on the inside and it has been cut! It is also not welded in!!

Thanks everyone!!

Jeff
Bruce Allert
Was talking to a guy at our last AX about just installing my sway bar. When I mentioned removing the gas tank he got a surprised look and asked what I did that for huh.gif So I explained about the cutting of metal on the inside of the fender to get the bottom of the triangle to fit. He still didn't believe me & said he'd doen so many sway bars but can't ever remember removing the tank! I know there's a kit for that but have heard it's not a good thing. Wonder how many of his sway bar installations are still working? sad.gif
bruce
Jeffs9146
Check the thread on Jenny's car, it shows a couple of pics of the inner plate installed

Jeroen, I can't seem to find that thread! Any ideas?

Jeff
Brad Roberts
Jeff... weld a nut back on the plate. Its not a big deal. It will cost you 1$ and welding time. You now they slacked off and didnt want to cut the tub for the bottom bolt.

B
Brad Roberts
Wait.. I dont get it.. (and your pics dont show it) did they cut the bottom of the plate off completely or did they remove the nut ?

B
Jeffs9146
They cut the bottom of the plate off! So it has no bottom nut but they did drill the hole?? Go figure?

Thanks Brad, I just wanted to see the photo you took after the bracket was complete and welded in place!

Jeff
Brad Roberts
My welding looks like crap.. but the plate looked good..lol

I cant find the pic.. its not in the "marathon thread"

B
Jeffs9146
Yes, I cant find it either! I remember seeing it though!!

Jeff
Jeroen
Here is another pic (showing the same) that Andy just posted in another thread...
IPB Image

Instead of welding, you can glue the plate in with sumtin' like duramix

That'll save you a lot of mess (burning paint and undercoating off in the wheel wells)

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeffs9146
That one doesn't look welded in! Can I get away with that without welding? I don't have a welder and everything is out of the car now! That plate looks bigger than the one on mine!

Jeff
Brad Roberts
I welded Jenny's because it was a stock bar and they dont come with a backing plate. Basically I build exactly what you see in Andy's pic (not that nice tho..lol)

B
Jeffs9146
So welding is not nessary??

Jeff
Brad Roberts
Not if you have the back plate like what you have. I personally still 'tack' them in on the corners..

B
Bruce Allert
Well ain't that sumpin!!! I actually did somupin right! smilie_pokal.gif I thought the stock bars came with a back plate & figured that I didn't get the used plate cuz it was still welded to the original car from whence mine came... so I made one rolleyes.gif COOL! that makes me feel even better now beer.gif
bruce
-P-
I just did mine this weekend. Lots of fun with the die grinder making the opening to fit the bottom part of the plate in there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.