Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
abearauto
confused24.gif any inside info would be helpfull, i have an original 914-6 that is the dark green in color, dont really like the color and want to change, i will be dipping the car to remove any rust issues ,and completly sealing al joints with new upgraded seam sealers, and sprayable seam seal just like the factory. how about the heat tube in the longs? what happens to them after chem strip. i have the ability to respray all the inside and out and make it look like the factory been doing this type of work for twenty + years, how would this effect the value of the car? any help would be helpfull. thanks steve
Aaron Cox
usually you need to cut open the top of the long and pull the 'heater mufflers' out. then dip, then weld up the long after putting the heater mufflers back in.....

i think they would melt in the acid dip....
abearauto
any idea where the best place to cut? sawzall-smiley.gif
boxstr
Since it is a 916-6 I would not change the color, looks great in the BRG.
CCLINNOCOLORCHANGE
smontanaro
QUOTE (abearauto @ Feb 19 2006, 12:02 PM)
i have the ability to respray all the inside and out and make it look like the factory been doing this type of work for twenty + years, how would this effect the value of the car?

Changing the color is bound to reduce the value just like anything else non-standard you could do to the car (swap engines, modify bodywork, etc). It's obviously your car, so do what you want. You'll find a ton of modified cars here. In and of itself that's fine. If your intent is to preserve resale value or originality, I would think you'd want to stick with the original color though. "Matching numbers" and all that...

Skip Montanaro
abearauto
hi craig, just really fond of black , once you go black you cant go back right? cool_shades.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (abearauto @ Feb 19 2006, 12:08 PM)
hi craig, just really fond of black , once you go black you cant go back right? cool_shades.gif

in the car sense....
brp914
if the condition of your paint is not good, maybe it would be helpful to see a couple good examples. Green wouldn't have been my first choice at first either - until I saw these:
McMark
agree.gif You must remove the heater tubes. Here's some inside views of what you're up against as well as my thoughts on cutting them out.

Inside the Long

I've seen cars successfully cut on the outside of the long, underneath the door sill plate. That area is heavily reinforced and hard to access. The area I show in the thread above should allow easy removal/installation as well as easy welding.

brp914
and... (hope owner will bring 'er back - what a shame)
anthony
Unless you are doing a $50K full concours, rolled out of the factory restoration, I don't think changing the color properly will reduce actual market value of the car.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd dip the chassis. I'd try soda or media blasting first.
Eric_Shea
any idea where the best place to cut?

On someone else's car.

I would 'NEVER' cut the longitudinals, which are literally the back-bone of our cars, if they didn't seriously need it. Would you submit to back surgery if you didn't need it? Which leads me to:

I would never acid dip a 914 tub.

I've personally done it twice. Once on a 911 tub that weeped for years after the dip. Second on a 914 tub that I was 'Promised' wouldn't weep... guess what, they weep. There are places that simply can't be washed...

Soda Blasting is the 'best' option for a car as valuable and as historically important as yours. See William Harris's restoration thread.

Color change would be 'out' in my book as well...
Britain Smith
Here is another way to do it, this is a 914-6 that got acid dipped (actually the same car as show in Mark's thread). This method takes more work but does not require cutting into the structural side of the longs.

-Britain

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Car before acid dipping (please excuse SirAndy's pale body)
user posted image

SirAndy
QUOTE (abearauto @ Feb 19 2006, 10:08 AM)
any idea where the best place to cut? sawzall-smiley.gif

do a search here, this has been very well documented with lots of pictures etc. ...

wink.gif Andy
abearauto
nice photos smilie_pokal.gif how does the soda get to where you cant see? what about using the rust stoppers in a body wax can with a wand to get into the longs and shift tunnel any problems there? the green flared six looks awseme aktion035.gif does flaring the car hurt it in value?. color changing the car is the easy part for me, and cutting and welding is not a problem, by looking at the cut longs, how about two hole saw holes at either end from the inside,? i hear that por 15 will stop rust, even if its put on scally rust,
Speedster07
QUOTE (abearauto @ Feb 19 2006, 01:08 PM)

Once you go Black you can't come back

Once you go Black we don't want you back chair.gif

opps.... unless were talking cars........ slap.gif ...well than Black is Beautfull
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.