Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Drop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bertus
I am gonna take my engine out this week (been saying that for a couple of weeks now!) and wanted some advice on:

A: how to store it. I don't have an engine stand, I do have a bunch of 2x4s laying around maybe construct something out of those to keep it off the ground. What worked for you? Just leave it on the ground?

B: what are some common maintaince issues that should be done on the motor while it is out?

Thanks all, I need to get motivated and get this done before warm weather returns!
Bleyseng
Maintance issues?

Hmm, here's a list of things to do
change injector seals
change oil cooler seals
change fuel lines
replace vacuum hoses
adjust valves and change valve cover gaskets
check the clutch plate or replace
check end play on flywheel if bad change oil seal and adjust endplay
remove tin/fan and clean everything
have tin powdercoating
replace front seal
etc

Bertus
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 21 2006, 05:16 AM)
Maintance issues?

change injector seals
change oil cooler seals
change fuel lines
replace vacuum hoses
have tin powdercoating
replace front seal
etc

Thanks for the suggestions! biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
for storing and during the removal, go to home depot and pickup one of their $18 funiture dollys. makes it easy to slide the engine out from underneath the car, you don't kill your back dragging the engine around the garage (you can do it by yourself), and easy to work on the engine. i have 3 of them.

k
GaroldShaffer
I bought a set of wheel dollies for rolling around parts cars. I found that one of those works good for holding engines, also look at one of those 4 wheel furniture dollies I have heard they work. Both make it easier to move the engine around if you need to.

Edit damn, I got to type faster roadguy is beat me to it. laugh.gif
Dead Air
Maintance issues?

change injector seals
change oil cooler seals
change fuel lines
replace vacuum hoses
have tin powdercoating
replace front seal
etc

[QUOTE]

Ship it to Jake Raby smile.gif
URY914
The furniture dollys are good. Also take some of your 2x4's and make a frame that fits under the bottom of the case. This will raise the engine up a little higher so it is easier to work on. I don't like to support the weight of the engine by blocking up under the heads. If you leave the engines front mounting bar on it, it makes it a lot easier to pick it up. It acts like a big handle to move it by.

P
jasons
Maintance issues?

change injector seals
change oil cooler seals
change fuel lines
replace vacuum hoses
have tin powdercoating
replace front seal
etc

I would add pushrod tubes and/or seals. If you have any beat up tubes or leaky ones, now is a good time to deal with those. You can't remove some of them while the motor is in the car. The control arm ears are in the way.

Also motor mounts and trans mounts.
lotus_65
QUOTE (Bertus @ Feb 21 2006, 08:06 AM)
A: how to store it. I don't have an engine stand, I do have a bunch of 2x4s laying around maybe construct something out of those to keep it off the ground. What worked for you? Just leave it on the ground?

why drop the motor?

get a chunk of 2x4 and a furniture dolly. i jacked my car almost high enough to walk under, so i had to use the 2x4 to make contact with the motor.

but i slid the jack under the dolly first so the motor dropped right down on to it.

then i pulled the jack out and rolled the motor out easy as pie. then you'll have a good place to "store" the motor and move it easily too.

as far as maintenance, there was a ton of crud between the engine tin and the cylinders on one side. you'd have to pull the heads to get at that area, but it think it meant much warmer running temps on that side.

since your in there, rebuild the motor! biggrin.gif
Bertus
QUOTE (lotus_65 @ Feb 21 2006, 06:43 AM)
QUOTE (Bertus @ Feb 21 2006, 08:06 AM)

why drop the motor?

get a chunk of 2x4 and a furniture dolly. i jacked my car almost high enough to walk under, so i had to use the 2x4 to make contact with the motor.

but i slid the jack under the dolly first so the motor dropped right down on to it.

then i pulled the jack out and rolled the motor out easy as pie. then you'll have a good place to "store" the motor and move it easily too.

as far as maintenance, there was a ton of crud between the engine tin and the cylinders on one side. you'd have to pull the heads to get at that area, but it think it meant much warmer running temps on that side.

since your in there, rebuild the motor! biggrin.gif

Lotus65,
were you able to get the jack from underneath the dolly after you lowered the engine?

Fortunately the engine is really strong not dropping it to work on it specifically, I have hell hole rust issues I need to eradicate!

btw is that a Harbour Freight jack stand in your pic, looks just like mine! biggrin.gif
lotus_65
yep, harbor freight smile.gif

the dolly is a "tool shop" from home depot, but if you get one that is too low, just upsize 2 of the casters or shim them for clearance. i had tons of clearance.

i have nothing good to say about hell hole issues! good luck with yours.
Joe Ricard
I agree with all of the above. Just one thing to add that will make life easier when you get around to doing something with it.

Shove 100.00 dollar bill in each intake port. Put two in the dizzy cap, maybe 3 in the throttle body.

years from now when you don't have enough money to do a rebuild you can use this to get the machine work done.
Bertus
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 21 2006, 07:48 AM)
I agree with all of the above. Just one thing to add that will make life easier when you get around to doing something with it.

Shove 100.00 dollar bill in each intake port. Put two in the dizzy cap, maybe 3 in the throttle body.

years from now when you don't have enough money to do a rebuild you can use this to get the machine work done.

What kind of return on interest can I expect? wink.gif

Along these lines this car came with a Highfire VI, Mallory Promaster coil, and a Mallory Unilite distributer that are not currently installed. I was thinking of installing this summer. Should I expect headaches?
Joe Ricard
Nope plug and play. That's what I got on the Red Neck Racer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.