Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center Outlet Exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
A customer has asked me about making one of my Stage II EVO systems with a center outlet instead of in the stock location. I am pretty sure I can do this nicely with a few key alterations to the muffler layout. It will allow the muffler to be centered in the back instead of offset to the left side.
What do you think?
spare time toys
Look at the Ailen photos smilie_pokal.gif I was going to do this also.
URY914
Wouldn't it be kinda low to miss the tranny or do you bend the pipe aft of the tranny to exit at the center.?

I like it. wink.gif

9magazine
Chris,

If it works I want one for 9 Magazine's 914 Project car!

Brian Minson
9 Magazine
http://www.9magazine.com
Pnambic
Some mufflers have a center exit with a pipe extending the tailpipe to the side.

I like the idea. The PO of my car did something similar by editing the tail pipe after the muffler. Its not quite perfectly centered, but pretty darn close.

I'm sure anything Chris puts together will be leagues better than this, but here's the best image I have handy that shows mine.

Not quite as nice looking as a Boxster...haha...maybe someday. wink.gif
johnmhudson111
Do a twin pipes similar to the Boxster S, that would look sweet....
rick 918-S
This is what I did. I'm re-doing my system completely this year. It's too restrictive. I'm still going for the center exhaust, (same mufflers facing each other) but I will get mufflers with larger inlets, and large duel outlets. I will use one of the outlets as a cross-over or balance pipe and the other as a combo center outlet. (larger, of course) I plan on adding tubes on both sides of the straight exhaust section for a heat exchanger too. I think there's room. I'm also going to use all mandrel bent curved sections
jsteele22

So far all the comments are positive. To me, those center exhausts look too much like a sphincter. But hey, to each his own.....
ChrisFoley
Thanks for all the comments.
I was thinking a Boxster oval would be nice, and I thought about twin tips like a Cayman S too.
I don't have much room to work with so it will probably be a 2 1/2" polished stainless round tip cut on a slant.
Hammy
I think it'd be cool.. Twin tips though.
Maltese Falcon
I've always liked the center tips idea. The older 356 Carreras and 550s had them--called Peashooters.
The 935s used them, as did I on the black biturbo. The F40 Ferrari had em too, and now the 986 and Cayman.
Mig welder and mandrel bender= No limits idea.gif
Marty
Maltese Falcon
...and
JmuRiz
Sheesh Marty, quit posting pics of that slow POS already, haha.
I noticed you have a 3'rd pipe, like the F40 had, is that for something with the turbos?
Eric_Shea
I think that's the way they should have been from the factory... in the spirit of mid-engine Porscheees that came before them.

Rocking idea.
Maltese Falcon
Nathan, that's exactly what the smaller center tube is for. I bring the excess exhaust out of the wastegate, down around the transaxle, and dump it to atmosphere in between the other 2.
It's pretty slow...for a jet.
Marty
ChrisFoley
Well, I guess I have to go with twin tips. smile.gif
I'll post pics in a couple of weeks once I've made some progress.
Eric_Shea
Start collecting rear valances to mod and sell as a package welder-man.
Jake Raby
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Feb 21 2006, 06:44 AM)
A customer has asked me about making one of my Stage II EVO systems with a center outlet instead of in the stock location.

That same "customer" is the guy that has 202 RAT ponies to unleash.....(2316cc)

His Kerry Hunter certainly was not up to the task.

Chris, the center outlet has been asked about many times by my customers, people like the look- especially the 356 guys!

davec
If it has to be in the sphincter section, at least make it a twin!

BYW, Maltese Falcon, what wing is that on your car? PM me if you have any details. DaveC
Gustl
this one is from Bavaria / Germany

user posted image
user posted image

wavey.gif Gustl
boxstr
V8
ChrisFoley
Here's a sneak peek at what I came up with.
ChrisFoley
and
ChrisFoley
another view
ChrisFoley
last one
ConeDodger
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Mar 12 2006, 10:43 AM)
last one

Chris,
This look is very much like the Dansk Sport mufflers that they make for the Boxster. I have one on my Boxster. Dansk is Porsches OEM manufacturer. Nice look. Not for me though. But I do want all of your other bells and whistles.
You wouldn't happen to have a sound file of your street muffler?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Rotten Robby @ Mar 12 2006, 01:56 PM)
You wouldn't happen to have a sound file of your street muffler?

Rob,
Sorry, I don't have a sound file.
I built a system for a (somewhat) local customer last summer but he hasn't even installed the engine in his car yet and my street car is between engines.
I had one on my race car while at a chassis dyno once last year but didn't think to bring along a sound recording device. It would have been a perfect opportunity for a direct comparison between the Stage I & II silencers.
olav
QUOTE (Gustl @ Feb 23 2006, 09:10 AM)
this one is from Bavaria / Germany

user posted image
user posted image

wavey.gif Gustl

hijacked.gif

Hey, that looks pretty cool.

A Boxster muffler on the 914/6?

I wonder how is sounds and if it robs any power from the engine.

What kind of headers are under there to accommodate the muffler?

I like the flared rear and flat front fender look.

Nice car.

nomore9one4
Cool, I seen a aftermarket muffler last year that was a dual tip in the center. The guy said they only made it for the 2.0 confused24.gif
Sideways
The Caymen rear muffler is an option, it is different to a Boxster in that it is two separate mufflers, joined to a single pipe then to the twin tips.....Just climed under one today......
newto914s
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but I´ve always refered to the boxster as the car with the Butthole laugh.gif
I´d go with dual tips
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.