Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let me bounce this off you guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
I have some friends at work that keep asking me to sell the extra car parts they have. Do you think brokering used parts would work as a side business? idea.gif The idea would be they bring me the part I do the listing and selling and shipping of the parts and get a % of the sale. I have done this in the past for nothing the latest being the BBS wheels I just sold. Now he has me selling the exhaust from the 930 and others out here have parts they want to bring me to sell for them.
URY914
Try it, nothing to lose but your time. wink.gif

If it doesn't work you haven't lost any investment $, right?
dweymer
After parting out a car I will offering the following, feel free to send $.02:

Make sure you are getting enough % to cover your time. Photographing, packing, shipping, and responding to inquiries takes time, more than you think.

Storage may become a problem.

If selling for someone else, you may run into an ethical problem if they want to sell that 914-6 NOS oil tank for $50. You have to decide in advance how you will handle that.

You may want to have an entire SN set up just for parts sales so people can discern whether the part is yours or someone else's, also makes organizing easier.

Good Luck!
Twystd1
Spot on dweymer...

Well said.

Twysytd1
rhodyguy
they want you to part THEIR cars? wtf? just ask them what they want for the cars and be done with it. it will be all work, for virtually no $$ (on your end). do you have to answer all the messages, post the pictures, get shipping quotes, box the stuff, and stand in line at the post office/fedex/ups? then if a buyer is unhappy with their purchase, you have to take the heat, get the money back from your friend, and work out the return issue? wow!!! what's the point? if a friend can't use a friend...what good are they? rolleyes.gif

k
spare time toys
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Feb 22 2006, 10:14 AM)
they want you to part THEIR cars? wtf?

No they have stuff left over from old projects and stuff that they just dont want the headachs of selling. I dont mind doing one or two parts but they have a bunch of stuff. The guys at work know I have my salvage auto rebuilder lic. and part and fix wrecks on the side. Storage is not an issue. I have a lap top I can keep track of the stuff on. I enjoy the listing and selling my stuff and dont mind the boxing and shipping. I remember taking a trans to KC back when I drove truck to a place called Dale Willets or something like that and all it was is a place that sold used speed parts on consignment.
rick 918-S
I think it's a great idea. You could have the boys help with boxing, and shipping. Just be sure the guy your selling parts for understands he may not get retail. You need to make some coin for doing it.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Feb 22 2006, 08:28 AM)
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Feb 22 2006, 10:14 AM)
they want you to part THEIR cars? wtf?

No they have stuff left over from old projects and stuff that they just dont want the headachs of selling. I dont mind doing one or two parts but they have a bunch of stuff. The guys at work know I have my salvage auto rebuilder lic. and part and fix wrecks on the side. Storage is not an issue. I have a lap top I can keep track of the stuff on. I enjoy the listing and selling my stuff and dont mind the boxing and shipping. I remember taking a trans to KC back when I drove truck to a place called Dale Willets or something like that and all it was is a place that sold used speed parts on consignment.

The guy who I bought my turbo axles from has a son who runs around the neighborhood selling his neighbors stuff.

They say "I want to get X amount of money from this item". He either posts it on Ebay or online classifieds and keeps everything above what the owners want.

His first sell was a Ford Mustang for a lady down the street and he cleared a clean $1,500.00 !!!

He should have let is son sells those axles... LOL

Oh, and he's 16. smilie_pokal.gif
flatout
The guys name is Dale Wilch in KC. He has made a great living doing just that very thing. I buy alot of chevy hipo stuff from him. He does both internet and his RPM cat. plus swap meets in the midwest. I think it could be a good thing.Try it,you have nothing to lose, biggrin.gif but time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.