Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Let me bounce this off you guys
spare time toys
post Feb 22 2006, 06:11 AM
Post #1

hooked on grilling food.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have some friends at work that keep asking me to sell the extra car parts they have. Do you think brokering used parts would work as a side business? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) The idea would be they bring me the part I do the listing and selling and shipping of the parts and get a % of the sale. I have done this in the past for nothing the latest being the BBS wheels I just sold. Now he has me selling the exhaust from the 930 and others out here have parts they want to bring me to sell for them.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 22 2006, 06:18 AM
Post #2

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Try it, nothing to lose but your time. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

If it doesn't work you haven't lost any investment $, right?
+Quote Post
dweymer
post Feb 22 2006, 06:42 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,167

After parting out a car I will offering the following, feel free to send $.02:

Make sure you are getting enough % to cover your time. Photographing, packing, shipping, and responding to inquiries takes time, more than you think.

Storage may become a problem.

If selling for someone else, you may run into an ethical problem if they want to sell that 914-6 NOS oil tank for $50. You have to decide in advance how you will handle that.

You may want to have an entire SN set up just for parts sales so people can discern whether the part is yours or someone else's, also makes organizing easier.

Good Luck!
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Feb 22 2006, 07:03 AM
Post #4

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

Spot on dweymer...

Well said.

Twysytd1
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 22 2006, 09:14 AM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

they want you to part THEIR cars? wtf? just ask them what they want for the cars and be done with it. it will be all work, for virtually no $$ (on your end). do you have to answer all the messages, post the pictures, get shipping quotes, box the stuff, and stand in line at the post office/fedex/ups? then if a buyer is unhappy with their purchase, you have to take the heat, get the money back from your friend, and work out the return issue? wow!!! what's the point? if a friend can't use a friend...what good are they? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

k
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Feb 22 2006, 09:28 AM
Post #6

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Feb 22 2006, 10:14 AM)
they want you to part THEIR cars? wtf?

No they have stuff left over from old projects and stuff that they just dont want the headachs of selling. I dont mind doing one or two parts but they have a bunch of stuff. The guys at work know I have my salvage auto rebuilder lic. and part and fix wrecks on the side. Storage is not an issue. I have a lap top I can keep track of the stuff on. I enjoy the listing and selling my stuff and dont mind the boxing and shipping. I remember taking a trans to KC back when I drove truck to a place called Dale Willets or something like that and all it was is a place that sold used speed parts on consignment.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 22 2006, 09:33 AM
Post #7

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I think it's a great idea. You could have the boys help with boxing, and shipping. Just be sure the guy your selling parts for understands he may not get retail. You need to make some coin for doing it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Feb 22 2006, 09:37 AM
Post #8

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (spare time toys @ Feb 22 2006, 08:28 AM)
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Feb 22 2006, 10:14 AM)
they want you to part THEIR cars? wtf?

No they have stuff left over from old projects and stuff that they just dont want the headachs of selling. I dont mind doing one or two parts but they have a bunch of stuff. The guys at work know I have my salvage auto rebuilder lic. and part and fix wrecks on the side. Storage is not an issue. I have a lap top I can keep track of the stuff on. I enjoy the listing and selling my stuff and dont mind the boxing and shipping. I remember taking a trans to KC back when I drove truck to a place called Dale Willets or something like that and all it was is a place that sold used speed parts on consignment.

The guy who I bought my turbo axles from has a son who runs around the neighborhood selling his neighbors stuff.

They say "I want to get X amount of money from this item". He either posts it on Ebay or online classifieds and keeps everything above what the owners want.

His first sell was a Ford Mustang for a lady down the street and he cleared a clean $1,500.00 !!!

He should have let is son sells those axles... LOL

Oh, and he's 16. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

This post has been edited by rogergrubb: Feb 22 2006, 09:42 AM
+Quote Post
flatout
post Feb 22 2006, 11:05 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,018

The guys name is Dale Wilch in KC. He has made a great living doing just that very thing. I buy alot of chevy hipo stuff from him. He does both internet and his RPM cat. plus swap meets in the midwest. I think it could be a good thing.Try it,you have nothing to lose, (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) but time.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 12:42 PM