Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP PLEASE!!!! I need to move a car!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
army dude
[B]I recently purchased a 914 from a gentleman in San Diego and I need to move it to Florida. I would do it myself however I am in Iraq and wont be home till mid May. I have no resources except limited computer time and everybody I know who could of helped is either here or getting ready to come over, again. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!! beerchug.gif
Ian in Iraq wavey.gif
rick 918-S
I'm about as far away from California as I am from Fla. So not much I can do to help except ask questions. So what are you looking for? Just a place to store it until you can get home? or are you looking for a shipping company (transporter) lead? What can the club help with?
brant
bump...

(lol.. hey its not #4 is it?... just kidding)

brant
army dude
I would ultimately like to get it to Sarasota Florida but my unit is actually in Winder Georgia. If it could be transported to either, that would be great. I don't really want to store it-rather have it taken to a shop and have a few things done to it before I get back.

This is like a christmas present for me, I can't wait to drive one again. drooley.gif

aaagh, what is a #4? confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
brant
number 4 is just a bad joke...

anyways.. back to your car.
It sounds like it is not driveable then?
so are you looking for someone to schedule assist, with a transport service?

brant
army dude
A joke, ok. biggrin.gif

Yes i would greatly appreciate the help of scheduling a transporter. I even thought somebody here might have that as a side business or could recommend someone.

The car is driveable and in good condition. An open trailer would be good enoogh for me. I will be indebted to someone for the help. pray.gif

Where was this club when I first owned a 914 in 1985? confused24.gif

This place is great!! rocking nana.gif

Ian in Iraq ar15.gif
SirAndy
icon_bump.gif
d914
if you can get it here I can store for awhile, inside and have access to a good 914 mechanic,,hell I even know a few things.....as longs as its on wheels and movable no a problem......The california to here is alittle outta my league..
Allan
Perhaps Craig Laughlin at camp914 could help or offer advice on the transport.

CAMP914
Flat VW
Is it servicable?

Club Driving Relay, idea.gif

John

P.S. I'll take the San Diego to WEST TX border leg. driving.gif
Series9
If you guys want to relay the car to FL, I volunteer the NM-ish segment.

Flat VW
QUOTE (Series9 @ Feb 26 2006, 02:55 PM)
If you guys want to relay the car to FL, I volunteer the NM-ish segment.

In the words of Tony Montana, "That sounds like fun to me."

John
Flat VW
driving.gif icon_bump.gif driving.gif
Dr Evil
Man, a relay would be awsome! I wish I was in the line up again sad.gif

PA is not on the way....unless we take an interstate joy ride smilie_pokal.gif
Flat VW
RELAY! RELAY! RELAY!

John dancinnanner.gif
boxstr
Well If the car is drivable, you guys go fo it. If you need a transport. Let me know.
CCLINCOASTTOCOAST
deserttoad
Wow, a bucket brigade with a 914 would be fun! I'm in Northern Nevada, so that probably isn't much help....

Used to know a truck driver that drove a lowboy, but he's moved too.

Where there is a will, there is a way, right??

Thanks for your service, Ian. beerchug.gif

DT
Series9
QUOTE (deserttoad @ Feb 26 2006, 06:03 PM)

Thanks for your service, Ian. beerchug.gif

Yes. That's exactly the point.

Let's put something together. I'll take responsibility for the move.

Members on the way sign up and let's do this for him.
Series9
OK guys,

I need:

San Diego to Yuma (170 miles)
Yuma to Tucson (260 miles)
Tucson to Lordsburg (150 miles)
I've got Lordsburg to (somewhere in TX) (? miles)
Mid TX to San Antonio (300 miles)
San Antonio to East TX (320 miles)
ETX to New Orleans (240 miles)
NOR to Mobile (130 miles)
Mobile to Tallahasse (240 miles)
Tallahasse to Ocala (180 miles)
Ocala to home (150 miles)
rick 918-S
That's why I come here. Always something cool happening. clap56.gif Didn't he say he wanted it in GA.?
shaggy
about how long is each leg?

when is this all going to happen?

Series9
QUOTE (shaggy @ Feb 26 2006, 06:23 PM)
about how long is each leg?

when is this all going to happen?

I don't know yet. We need people to take responsibilty for the individual legs and then I'll orchestrate the move.
Series9
Step 1: Someone in SD take delivery of the car. Anyone?
Flat VW
I will cover Yuma to Lordsburg or share with others as necessary to provide either support or driving, as needed. driving.gif

I know of a great mexican food place in Deming, too, right along the I-10, great chile rellenos.... chowtime.gif

John

P.S. We CAN DO this thing!

teef.gif tooth.gif w00t1.gif w00t2.gif naughty.gif
Series9
Leg lenths have been roughly outlined. See my previous post.

All legs are subject to change.
Brian Mifsud
I'll be back in San Diego (finally) permanently (no more San Diego to Bay Area Commute) next weekend. I've got a week off between finishing my old job, and starting my new one. I'd be happy to drive east. Just trying to figure out how to get back home, after I hand off the car.

...(after some homework)... looks like Southwest Flies our of Tucson for $79... maybe I just hitch from Yuma all the way to Tucson?

What say we kick this off sometime between Monday, March 6th, and Friday, March 10th?

And IAN.... Thank you for your service to our country.

Let's take a bunch of picks guys and plot the whole journey in one thread.... flag.gif
grasshopper
i may be able to get the Tallahasse to Ocala leg... i'll have to talk to my dad, since i can drive it... well i can, but i dont think he would appriciate a 15 year old driving his car lol2.gif
grasshopper
well, my dad said he would do it if he was off of work. He is a pilot, so he doesn't have a set schedual.... is there a rough date that this might happen??? confused24.gif
Series9
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Feb 26 2006, 07:42 PM)
well, my dad said he would do it if he was off of work. He is a pilot, so he doesn't have a set schedual.... is there a rough date that this might happen??? confused24.gif

I'll have a date when we have all the legs covered and schedules arranged.
Dr Evil
If I might make a suggestion, could someone set a calendar up that folks could fill in their availabilities in? Since there is no rush the car could stay at a persons house at the end of a leg for a couple of days before they can drive it on the next leg. This way you could start today on part one, and part two can start as soon as possible. Either way if it did deteriorate, the distance would be less and the shipping cost (if it ends up at that) would be potentially less.

confused24.gif
Series9
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Feb 26 2006, 07:48 PM)
If I might make a suggestion, could someone set a calendar up that folks could fill in their availabilities in? Since there is no rush the car could stay at a persons house at the end of a leg for a couple of days before they can drive it on the next leg. This way you could start today on part one, and part two can start as soon as possible. Either way if it did deteriorate, the distance would be less and the shipping cost (if it ends up at that) would be potentially less.

confused24.gif

That's a good suggestion.

Interested parties should PM me with your availability.
Brian Mifsud
What say we kick this off sometime between Monday, March 6th, and Friday, March 10th?

I'm off work that week. Will go San Diego via Yuma, and hitch to Tucson the same day if feasible... need to get to airport to get back home so the first 2 legs need to get done in one day.. (409miles.. I could do it if pushed)

Hey Ian.. got a decent radio in that car? Any good Arizona stations along the route? biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
I hope it is a good runnign car wink.gif We should also set up a support line for just this event.

Hey Ian, I hated the middle east. I hope you are not sweatingit too much rolleyes.gif
Thanks
KELTY360
This will make a great thread. Looks to me that at least 2 people will be required for each leg, both for return transportation and support. Since Ian doesn't hit the states til mid-May, there's plenty of time to work out logistics.

Licensing, insurance and correct title transfer are very important to insure that relay drivers don't have any liabilities and Ian is covered in case of problems. Wish I wasn't so far off the route; this will just add to the legend of the non-club.

Git r dun! rocking nana.gif

Marc
Flat VW
Where are our Tucson Peeps?

John wavey.gif

Guy, Guy, GUY!
d914
I can do Mobile east, and or store in the atlanta area depending on final destination...

lots of vacation time!! beerchug.gif
Flat VW
I LOVE when a plan starts to come together.

John
Brian Mifsud
One thought.. if Ian doesn't feel that comfortable with a bunch of strangers driving his car (+ all the liability...).. maybe we ought to just all pitch in for the cost of transport...

I'm already in $150 for airfair and gas...I believe the quote I got to move cars from California to New Hampshire (4 years back) was $1500/vehicle..

that's probably accurate for CA to GA.....that way, MORE people can contribute also...........

I'm still up for the drive as I've never been to Arizona and I'm not planning on changing jobs again so SO I'm GAME... but just a thought....
Dr Evil
$1500, Jeez dude. I just moved to PA from SD and paid $700 for each car.
Series9
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Feb 26 2006, 09:10 PM)
One thought.. if Ian doesn't feel that comfortable with a bunch of strangers driving his car (+ all the liability...).. maybe we ought to just all pitch in for the cost of transport...

This is true.
McMark
If a relay happens I'll tip in $ for gas.
Series9
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 26 2006, 09:18 PM)
If a relay happens I'll tip in $ for gas.

Thanks Mark.

Honestly, I think a relay with a thread to document the progress would be more fun.
eeyore
I can be base leg from San Diego. Heck I live in east county -- practically AZ already.

However, along with the driver's liability issue, I don't want to be the receiver of stolen property or the victim of a poor chain-of-ownership issue.

Joe, PM sent.

Maybe we can put Mike L's BMW K75 in one of the trunks...
Series9
QUOTE (Cloudbuster @ Feb 26 2006, 09:24 PM)

However, along with the driver's liability issue, I don't want to be the receiver of stolen property or the victim of a poor chain-of-ownership issue.

Understood.
green914v8
Hey guys, its my...or was my 914. I had it up in the for sale section a few weeks back. Not that it couldn't make it or anything but ive never taken it on any really long trips before(more than 50 miles or so). I dont want to piss on a good thread, or ruin anyones fun. But it seems crazy, insurance, liability, blah blah to have so many people driving a car so many miles when you could have a insured company drive it for less than a grand. I want to help Ian out, and it looks like everyone else wants to aswell. So maybe we can find someone on here who can ship it for cheap and all pitch in so he doesn't have to pay for anything. After all he is in Iraq fighting for us...I will throw down $300 for the shipping cost if you guys want to pick up the rest and give him an awesome present. What do you guys think??
Series9
QUOTE (green914v8 @ Feb 26 2006, 11:26 PM)
Hey guys, its my...or was my 914. I had it up in the for sale section a few weeks back. Not that it couldn't make it or anything but ive never taken it on any really long trips before(more than 50 miles or so). I dont want to piss on a good thread, or ruin anyones fun. But it seems crazy, insurance, liability, blah blah to have so many people driving a car so many miles when you could have a insured company drive it for less than a grand. I want to help Ian out, and it looks like everyone else wants to aswell. So maybe we can find someone on here who can ship it for cheap and all pitch in so he doesn't have to pay for anything. After all he is in Iraq fighting for us...I will throw down $300 for the shipping cost if you guys want to pick up the rest and give him an awesome present. What do you guys think??

That's a generous offer. With that kind of downpayment, I think putting it on a hauler makes a lot of sense.
green914v8
This guy...Ian, is one of the nicest guys ive talked to. Ive only emailed him!!! I would ship the damn thing myself if i diden't need the money for school. You guys think you could spare some cash for a stand up guy? I dont want to ask anything for you, but series 9 you seemed like you were going to handle the relay if you want to handle this that would be cool. People might not want to send money to someone who has no posts. Let me know what you think...
army dude
WOW!! HOLY SMOKES!! JUMPI GEEHOZEFATS!!!? I leace to go on a mission and you guys have been busy!!
I want to start by backing up and letting you know a little about me, so you can see where I am coming fron.

My first 914 was in 1985 and was a 1.7. Pushed it to a 2.8 w/ 48 Delorrtos and hipo ignition and the works. Drove from NAS Miramar, in San Diego, to Sarasota Florida, 1 hour south of Tampa, in 42 hours after getting stopped in Ozona Texas by a cop who belonged to the Porsche club of Texas, he let me off with a warning. WWound up selling car for a girl, won't do that again, got 2 more and sold them when I transfered to Atlanta with a major grocery chain. All the while still in the military.
I am a fireman/EMT-I by profession and was a deputy chief before coming over here. I have been blown up 5 times by IED's and mortared several times, we will not mention the gun fights or RPG attacks. But, with all my injuries and making it this far the only thing that really mattwers to me any more is mking sure somebody else gets a break that they deserve. I am a combat medic and have seen soooo damn much I won't waste your time talkin about it. OK, so where am I goin with this... well, I teared up,wimpy moment here, and couldn't believe what you guys were thinking for someone you hav not met nor talked with much. The car is only a material thing and I would never hold anybody responsible for anything if they were trying to help me out. I think that you guys are by far the best club I have ever been with. Even if the relay doesn't happen I am indebted to yall for even trying to help and have fun!

I love the Idea of a relay, that is so much sexier than a transporter, but I will leave it up to you guys to decide what would work best. DID I mention it was a v8 conversion??

Thanks again for all the ideas!! MAybe I might even make WCC?!MMMMM......
Andyrew
If its a v8 conversion, and the one that im thinking of (Grassroots motorsports 2003/4 challenge) then I personally wouldnt want to have so many people drive it.

With all the 914 owners on the board, it would require a big amount of "trust" and such because things can break so easily... Also, it could overheat, and the temptation to do burn outs would kill who ever drives it, What happens if they accidently use 1st? Also, I dont know the car, but it might not be balanced brakes wise, and someone could get into trouble on those long streches of road.....

I would not trust my car (even WITH all the spares that I have in the trunk) for a journey that far.. And thats with ME driving, knowing its limits.

Ship the thing. Heck, heres an idea... Get DLee's tow bar, take off the front bumper, (if its f/g) and have people with TRUCKS tow it across...

Andrew
army dude
Common sense, maturity and respect are things I have seen here for a while. While I don't have the years behind me in membership like most of you do I greatly accept your advice and respect your opinions pray.gif . I only started out hoping to find a transporter and never expected what blossomed. I am a very trusting individual and I will agree that maybe it isn't the best idea to relay it. My mind is really deep in the game over here ar15.gif and I really didn't play devils advocate on it like I should have. headbang.gif BUT, with SERIES 9 taking such a command over it I felt at ease. Thanks dude!

SO, I am open still and game for anything, within reason.

Thanx again
Ian in Iraq
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.