Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rev happy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
ModPR3
ok still exploring different engine posibilities, if i go with the fun frankenstine part of me, what engines do you know of that like to rev very very high for a street engine. i plan on doing more than one 914 in my life so i thought this one i would have fun with. my list as of now. please feel free to add.

honda s2000 2.0 (F20)- 9000rpm stock redline (rotates right direction)
acura rsx type s 2.0 (K20A) 7800rpm with room to grow (also rotates right direction)
mazda rotary (13b) 10000rpm in full race trim. ( heard bad things about this motor and heat thoug
toyota mr2/corolla gts 1.6 (4age) 7500rpm stock
nissan silva 2.0 turbo (sr20det) late gen 8000rpm
acura nsx motor v6 8000rpm

my knowlege on motors isnt much but pertains mostly to 4 cly engines need help with other 4, 6, 8 cyl engines. thanks if it can rev let me know.
Rand
Nothing revs quite like a rotary.
But torque is more fun IMHO.
alpha434
QUOTE (Rand @ Feb 26 2006, 10:01 PM)

2 strokers.

Bikes rev at INSANE rates.
messix
high rev cost high$
messix
theres a thought. get a liter bike engine they make 120-160 hp. and rev around 12k 14k rpm
alpha434
Lets not go overboard here.

They MAKE three cylinder engines that rev higher than that.
Rand
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 26 2006, 10:02 PM)

2 strokers.

Bikes rev at INSANE rates.

There ya go. Put a bike motor in your 914! Yeah baby, put a built R1 motor in... 160hp!!!! Woohoo! Rev heaven!!

But cars weigh more than bikes (even a light 914)... so again I would rate torque and engine strength/reliability over pure RPMs.
messix
name them.
ModPR3

yes torque can be quite fun. nothing like being thrown back in the seat. ;but i test drove a s2000 the other day Not an incredably fast car but when vtech kicks in and just the sound of that engine reving is something to hear. i can imagine what the guys who have alot of money that get their 911 engine reving to 8300 and beyond.
alpha434
QUOTE (messix @ Feb 26 2006, 10:07 PM)
name them.

Yamaha had one that got banned.

I don't know model numbers. Who gives a crap about 2 strokers anyway?
Rand
Who gives a crap about 2 strokers anyway?

Dude, I thought YOU were the one who brought up the 2-stroke subject?
messix
ahhh so you were refering to non-production race engines. let me pick one of those outa my back pocket finger.gif
alpha434
They REV fast! Who cares! It was an answer to a question. I definately don't know anything about two strokers. Wait. I made one for shop class. Thats it. I don't even know how fast IT reved. But one of my buddies mentioned the Yamaha thing the other night. He's NHRA. His stuff revs fast, I guess,
ModPR3
anyone know what a tricked out subie motor could pull rpm wise or that v6 yammaha made for ford for the taurus svo or some car like that.

alpha434
Non-race.
They got banned from street use in USA.

I'll get the damn model to you tomorrow. Jesus.
Aaron Cox
your all over the place man. h20 cooled 914/6, turbo aircooler.... etc....

rev's are for racers and ricers.......

why do you need to spool to 9k on a street motor?
gimme a stroked out six with mucho torque and it would be way more streetable....

put down the ricer mag and lets get into practical land smile.gif

sorry to be harsh - just how i see ya
AA

messix
one of my buddies has this little 415ci sbc that is only puttin out about 700hp. with 13/1 comp. tunnel ram with 1400cfm worth of carbs on it. and it only revs to 8k and with a 8"stall converter it rev kinda quick, like lighting quick.
Mueller
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 26 2006, 11:20 PM)

gimme a stroked out six with mucho torque and it would be way more streetable....

AA

finally, someone who is more wishy-washy than me, hahahaha....he's making me look "normal" wacko.gif biggrin.gif
messix
those 2strokes didnt get banned because of any high preformace reason. they couldnt meet epa and smog laws. askme what i know about rd 350's
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 26 2006, 11:22 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 26 2006, 11:20 PM)

AA

finally, someone who is more wishy-washy than me, hahahaha....he's making me look "normal" wacko.gif biggrin.gif

nothing wrong with ideas.... as long as they are practical for the purpose.....

and im a purist... at least in the engine family sense... yawn.gif
alpha434
QUOTE (messix @ Feb 26 2006, 10:20 PM)
one of my buddies has this little 415ci sbc that is only puttin out about 700hp. with 13/1 comp. tunnel ram with 1400cfm worth of carbs on it. and it only revs to 8k and with a 8"stall converter it rev kinda quick, like lighting quick.

My guy leaves the line at 7. Shifts at 10. Vintage class top fuel. SBC. 23deg heads.
messix
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 26 2006, 11:25 PM)
QUOTE (messix @ Feb 26 2006, 10:20 PM)

My guy leaves the line at 7. Shifts at 10. Vintage class top fuel. SBC. 23deg heads.

yeah but mine is a street ride.

isn't it past your bed time?
Andyrew
The bike engine is a possiblility, but its lack of tq down low would make it almost un drivable around town, and the extra umph it would take to push the car might cause the bike engine to overheat...

Possibility for a track car...

andrew
ModPR3
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 26 2006, 10:20 PM)

AA

lol dont worry your not being harsh just speaking the truth and no offense taken. outside is my 1975 914 with a 1.8 and i wanted to restore that car from the ground up. from sand or the new dry ice blasting up to a really nice paint job, 911 sc suspension and breaks, rear 5 lug disk conversion in back, gt flares, and a 3.0 911 6 but then i got on hear and talking to other people and i think im going to save that car for later in life and now i just want to do something fun and alittle crazy. but yeah i have been all over the place with my questions hope i dont drive you all crazy im just like big spounge trying to learn all i can about everything even about rice rocket engines.
messix
oh and that was only on the motor, i didn't mention the 2 stage 400 hp fogger nitrous [NOT NOS] shot it takes when you wanna run 9.70's on leaf springs
alpha434
What do you need 700hp on a street car for?

Honda killing?

No. It's NOT past my bedtime. Is that an age discrimitory statement?
dry.gif

Two bike engines in tandem?

Torque curves can change, but it'll bring revs down, and reduce throttle response, unless you already plan on running engine brakes.
Andyrew
two bike engines in tantum.

What are you mike mueller?

Cost to do that would be upwards of 10k..., not encluding the engines...
messix
stupid question my young boy. simpley because we can. and it scares small children and old ladys. your to young for me to tell what it does to young women.

why do you young ricers put those ------------- big ass wings on you honda four dorr accords?
Andyrew
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 26 2006, 11:36 PM)
And NOS isn't as big of a boost as pure O2.

And getting 400hp from JUST nos is bs.gif

That would be a 65% power increase.

Dude...

Its called a 400 shot of nitrous...

and no.. its not bs.

I've seen a 300 shot of nitrous hold on a junkyard sbc.... Why cant a race engine setup for it do 400.

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 26 2006, 11:38 PM)
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 26 2006, 11:36 PM)
And NOS isn't as big of a boost as pure O2.

And getting 400hp from JUST nos is  :bullshit:

That would be a 65% power increase.

Dude...

Its called a 400 shot of nitrous...

and no.. its not bs.

I've seen a 300 shot of nitrous hold on a junkyard sbc.... Why cant a race engine setup for it do 400.

im with andyrew (gasp! did i say that poke.gif JK!!!)

its very doable... build the motor for it.

go to jegs/summit etc...

they have 500 shot nitrous setups.... also....

messix
he caught him self and edited it out av-943.gif
alpha434
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 26 2006, 10:37 PM)

Are you kidding?!?

10K.

And where's your manufacturing background?

Weld the damn driveshafts together! They all operate off of glow plugs, get roughly 180deg out. Timing isn't an issue.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 26 2006, 11:40 PM)

Are you kidding?!?

10K.

Weld the damn driveshafts together! They all operate off of glow plugs, get roughly 180deg out. Timing isn't an issue.

chock this one up for the alphaisms thread wink.gif
ModPR3
i know a little about nitrous im actually a big fan of it and still learning but 400 shot its easyly attainable on an engine of that size. as displacement, time retarding and octane rating in fuel goes up so does the hp and shot size of nitrous. 65 percent hp rise is cake walk for a properly tuned nitrous system and engine.
alpha434
QUOTE (messix @ Feb 26 2006, 10:31 PM)
oh and that was only on the motor, i didn't mention the 2 stage 400 hp fogger nitrous [NOT NOS] shot it takes when you wanna run 9.70's on leaf springs

Forget the damn SBC. That's why I deleted my post.

Two bike engines in tandem.

That's the solution.
messix
this engine could be good for about 1500hp easy with what its built with. heads are dart pro 1 cnc with 230cc intake port. lunati billet lite crank [drilled] and corrello rods [steel not ti so they'lle live on the street] and the block is a dart little m. just a little hobby for us.
messix
av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif alpha you get so upset when we don't take you seriously. you crack me up
alpha434
I'm glad all the west coasters love their nitrous.

Flippin nuts. It's illegal to use it anyway.

Someone google bike engines running in tandem. I've seen it before.
alpha434
DAMN YOU ALL!

I'LL SHOW YOU!

DAMN IT!

GWAAA!
blink.gif
I'm gonna schplode!
messix
why is it illeagal. [can't wait to hear this]
Andyrew
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 26 2006, 11:40 PM)

Are you kidding?!?

10K.

dude...

lol

sometimes I wonder wether your just looking for attention so you say stupid shit... and other times I wonder how someone with your "background" can be so stupid/ignorant.

To answer your question....

No, I dont have a "manufacturers background", I have common sense though...

A: your going to hold two engines together off of a single rotating assembly?
B: (big one) what happens if you get it out of balance a teeny bit?
C: would the welds hold?
Aaron Cox
dont get butt-hurt.... use preparation H....
user posted image
messix
go to bed av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
alpha434
Yes it works.

Have you ever seen a tractor pull? With one of those damn monstrosities that run 2 V8s in tandem?
ModPR3
QUOTE (messix @ Feb 26 2006, 10:52 PM)
go to bed av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

is it bad that im laughing my ass of at your posts. you are a funny guy i give you props i just hope alpha doesnt go postal on all of us.

and aaron "dont get but hurt. use prep H. lmao

you guys are better than the comedy channel ... i love this place.
Andyrew
Ok, you be the one... Go ahead..

If you can do it with ease, I'd like to see it!

Andrew
Aaron Cox
i aim to please...... sometimes i miss and break a window....

im here all week...

g'night.....
messix
trust me nobody welds those puller engines together. they're coupled with chains or gears. seen it with my own two eyes
Mueller
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 26 2006, 11:54 PM)
Yes it works.

Have you ever seen a tractor pull? With one of those damn monstrosities that run 2 V8s in tandem?

yes, it can and has been done....but it's not a very practical or "real" world solution....let's talk about "real" everyday things, not some fantasy BS stuff that your average joe cannot do or afford to pay to have done....

if I was to go "rice" and not go with a Subaru engine, my pick would be the honda/acura V6...they are becoming popular with the dune buggy crowd...

Mikes acura/honda V6 thread...with pictures
alpha434
Dammit! HERE. Engines run in tandem. My style!Tandem engines
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.