Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TALIMENA 1
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (tommy914 @ Mar 24 2006, 03:57 PM)
Question.
How long will the drive take from Mena to Talihina (1 way) along the scenic hwy 1?

I'm considering coming up that way on Friday, and going back that way on Sunday. that way I get to drive it 4 times in 2 days. biggrin.gif

That will be 4 chances that Rottweiler will have to bite a big chunk out of your rear tire! biggrin.gif

Actually, there's no loose animals about. Other than us. w00t.gif

It's a beautiful drive and keeps you on your toes.

Please join in - you could be in the running for traveling the longest distance. I think that prize is a lap dance, or was it a lap belt? Can't remember. unsure.gif biggrin.gif

Joseph Mills
Just a reminder.

TALIMENA I

is now just 3 weeks away ph34r.gif

Looks like I'll have fresh rubber for it! driving.gif

maxwelj
If'n you don't mind a Volvo tagging along, We may be there. Just not enough time to finish up the teener.

Joseph Mills
No problem Jack!

Of course Clay and Curt will make you drive in the back. They're the bad cop, I'm the good cop. biggrin.gif

This drive is enjoyable even in a Volvo! (Just kidding - I'm on my 3rd 850 wagon in a row - I love 'em).

But you will have to bring lots of photos of your car for us to look at.

Hope ya'll can attend! smile.gif

TheCabinetmaker
Hello all. Curt and the infamous "wooden bumper" will return this year. We have a new front bar, bilstein sports, and new rubber this year.

Jack, bring the volvo!!!

Tommy, it's a 60 mile drive. We made the return trip last year in 65 minutes. Glad there was no local law enforcement on the road!!!

I look forward to seeing everyone from last year, and a few new faces too.

Joseph, thinking about a drive to your town next weekend, since the bumblebee is now at it's new home in K.C., and I have nothing to do on the weekends anymore. Yeah, right!!! laugh.gif Actually I have a new project lined up already. A 74 2L that is in dire need of body, engine and mechanical repair, but all there, and no structural rust.

mrdezyne, I wanna see your suby conversion!

Clay, do I need to bring the golf ball grill?

Later, Curt

Joseph Mills
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Apr 1 2006, 04:06 PM)

Joseph, thinking about a drive to your town next weekend, since the bumblebee is now at it's new home in K.C., and I have nothing to do on the weekends anymore. Yeah, right!!!   laugh.gif Actually I have a new project lined up already. A 74 2L that is in dire need of body, engine and mechanical repair, but all there, and no structural rust.

Hey Curt!

Just finished installing a bug pac so I won't spew oil on the AX course tomorrow.

I'll be around next week - I am tentatively planning on attending a dyno day with the bmw club sat. morning.

If you don't get down here, I'll be up there soon.

ClayPerrine
Curt,
We may need more than one grill, if everyone who has talked about it shows up. I got a toolbox grill for christmas that I am dying to try out! It's coming with me.

jr91472
Well guys, I am sorry to say but I have a case of the "Dellorto Drip" that will keep me and my car at home this year. I will hopefully be shipping the affected carb off the ACE this week for repair.

So you guys have fun and BE SAFE. Stay on the pavement lol2.gif lol2.gif

Oh and Clay, technically my car is no longer on jack stands so keep your damn welder away from my car ar15.gif

beer.gif
Joseph Mills
Have you considered installing a simple rebuild kit for them?

Not having any previous experience, I did my Webers last year and it was pretty easy.

Del's may be different.

Sorry you won't make it. I know you've done a fair amount of work on your car since the last drive.

We'll miss not seeing you this year. sad.gif

jr91472
QUOTE (Joseph Mills @ Apr 3 2006, 09:10 PM)
Have you considered installing a simple rebuild kit for them?

I have already rebuilt both of them. Apparently this is defect from the manufacturing process (lead plugs that sometime leak later in life). Thus I am sending the one carb to an expert that Jake Raby recommended). I won't be sidelined for long.

I am still planning of making MUSR this year too. I will catch you then.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Apr 3 2006, 09:41 AM)
Well guys, I am sorry to say but I have a case of the "Dellorto Drip" that will keep me and my car at home this year. I will hopefully be shipping the affected carb off the ACE this week for repair.

So you guys have fun and BE SAFE. Stay on the pavement lol2.gif lol2.gif

Oh and Clay, technically my car is no longer on jack stands so keep your damn welder away from my car ar15.gif

beer.gif

We changed the date just for you, and now you are not coming!!!! dry.gif

I am packing up the welder and some junk jackstands.....

(I didn't say your car would be on jackstands when I started, I just said that I would weld it up if you didn't show).

Anyone want to help with a welder party????? biggrin.gif
GS9146Driver
Hello All!
I managed to make some progress last weekend on the Six. If all goes well, I may just make it. I also put in a set of Koni reds in the front and finished the majority of the front swaybar install. I need to put a few weld beads on the sway mounts and then reassemble. Then tomorrow, a coworker will lend me his peg welder to dent pull a little bow in the upper wheel house. I wll then be able to weld the new battery tray in place. Paint and reassemble.
Gee, maybe I should forgo sleeping until I finish...
Well, maybe I'll just stay up a little later working on it.

Until next time...
Regards,
George
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (GS9146Driver @ Apr 4 2006, 09:07 PM)

I managed to make some progress last weekend on the Six. If all goes well, I may just make it. I also put in a set of Koni reds in the front and finished the majority of the front swaybar install. I need to put a few weld beads on the sway mounts and then reassemble. Then tomorrow, a coworker will lend me his peg welder to dent pull a little bow in the upper wheel house. I wll then be able to weld the new battery tray in place. Paint and reassemble.
Gee, maybe I should forgo sleeping until I finish...
Well, maybe I'll just stay up a little later working on it.

Until next time...
Regards,
George

Sounds like you got it all goin'on!

I've spent the last two days trying to resolve my wheel dilemmas and tire selection. Looks like I'll be rollin' on 16's for the street & track, but still 15's for AX.

But that's another story. biggrin.gif

Glad to hear you're making some progress.

GS9146Driver
Well, I managed to make good progress last night. Sway bar plates welded and primer painted. Another coat tonight, paint tomorrow, then reassemble.
I have the dent pull welder in hand. I hope to have good luck with it tonight.
Discovered that the replacement altenator will not work, Rick at Rennsport is trying to figure that out for me. If all else fails, I will reinstall the old one for now. It just has noisy bearings.
I'd better get cracking, maybe I can get the sway bar primered before dinner.

I'm feeling another late night in the shop/hangar coming on tonight!

Regards to all! beerchug.gif
George
ClayPerrine
Ok.. everyone who is leaving from the DFW area, how about we meet up for a caravan up there on Friday?

I was thinking the parking lot of The Complete Garage on Forest lane (Owned by the Yodster... ).

But if some of you are coming from the Plano/Richardson area, this will be in the complete wrong direction.

Alternative is to meet at H&H so we can harass Wes before we leave.

Let me know.....

Also... Can I get a 914 count ?
dakotaewing
There is a slim possibility that I may be part of the non 914 non club -
Heather and I would drive up Friday PM as well ...
In the TERCEL.... blink.gif wacko.gif av-943.gif

TE

Clay - Is Yoder coming ???
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Apr 6 2006, 03:49 PM)

Clay - Is Yoder coming ???

Jean (AKA Doc Yoder) wants him to go. But I dont' know if he decided to go or not.

Call him and help convince him.

tommy914
Pulled the 914 into the garage for a little cleanup before the trip.
thewheel69
Hey all, newbie here in DFW area (Uptown area) my "new to me" 74' 1.8, bone stock Ravenna Green 914 and I are "planning" on joining you guys on this trip. A couple of questions to this crew (bear with me);

In reading through this thread, I understand this will be a "spirited ride"... as you all are aware the 74' 1.8 is the feablest of all our steads. Am I going to get dusted here?

Also, I will be bringing a fair amount of my own tools (including my wife) screwy.gif but my real question is... I am still working out the kinks and breaking her in (the car, not the wife) and I am concerned about making the trip there and back in one piece. She seems pretty road worthy at this early stage, new tires, plugs, coil, wires, fuel lines, air lines, cream coated tank, brake lines, fresh brake oil, engine oil, etc.

With two weeks to go, I will try and take her out for a longer run and see how she performs but do you guys have any concerns in me coming along? The last thing you all need is some dumb ass slowing things up... confused24.gif

Thanks for any feedback/recommendations. I really am looking forward to this trip if I can make it.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (thewheel69 @ Apr 8 2006, 09:00 AM)
Hey all, newbie here in DFW area (Uptown area) my "new to me" 74' 1.8, bone stock Ravenna Green 914 and I are "planning" on joining you guys on this trip. A couple of questions to this crew (bear with me);

In reading through this thread, I understand this will be a "spirited ride"... as you all are aware the 74' 1.8 is the feablest of all our steads. Am I going to get dusted here?

Also, I will be bringing a fair amount of my own tools (including my wife) screwy.gif but my real question is... I am still working out the kinks and breaking her in (the car, not the wife) and I am concerned about making the trip there and back in one piece. She seems pretty road worthy at this early stage, new tires, plugs, coil, wires, fuel lines, air lines, cream coated tank, brake lines, fresh brake oil, engine oil, etc.

With two weeks to go, I will try and take her out for a longer run and see how she performs but do you guys have any concerns in me coming along? The last thing you all need is some dumb ass slowing things up... confused24.gif

Thanks for any feedback/recommendations. I really am looking forward to this trip if I can make it.

You will not be the only 74 1.8L there. Betty (my wife) is bringing her car, and I am bringing mine.

Don't worry too much about the trip up there. We are getting together on Friday for a caravan to Talamena. You are not only welcome, but encouraged to join us for the drive. We are firm believers in "safety in numbers". But in this case, if you break down, someone in the group will have the tools and parts to help fix it. And we don't leave anyone behind.

thewheel69
Cool!!! boldblue.gif

I have been hammering on her a bit today and she has been very resilient thus far... my main concern is the unknown... things like the clutch cable (I will be getting a fresh one in the trunk just in case), Throttle cable... ditto...

The suspension is pretty spongy but not that bad... might get some new struts and springs on her prior to the trip...

Is the Talamena Inn all booked up at this point I wonder? Do you have a headcount?

Can I ask more questions??? huh.gif

I am really looking forward to getting together and getting some great advice while driving some great roads!

driving.gif

Done this ride on my motorcycle so this will be a bit slower...

Thanks again Clay for the encouragement and open invite.
ClayPerrine
No room at the inn? I dont' know... you would have to call and find out.

I don't have a headcount either, but it looks like a bunch of people are going to be there.

Rich Johnson called me to say he would probably be there.... smilie_pokal.gif
dakotaewing
Clay -
What approximate time is the caravan planing on leaving - I need an answer NOW due to the spouse scheduling some work issues... spank.gif

Thom
ClayPerrine
Noon on Friday.

IF we are going to have a bunch of people from the Plano/Richardson/Allen area, then we will meet at Wes' shop.

dakotaewing
Noon won't work unless I can get her to reschedule with her client.... headbang.gif
ClayPerrine
Noon was just the first time that popped into my head. If you need it later, that's fine. But we need to leave well before 3 so we miss rush hour.

It's a 5 hour drive up there. If we get up there too early we can eat dinner, but there is NOTHING to do after that. They roll up the sidewalks after dark.

So anytime before 3 is fine with me.

dakotaewing
Clay -
Heather is shooting a bridal at 3:30 - so don't hold up the pack for us - I will let you know what we are doing once it gets figured out....
sean_v8_914
how does OK qualify as "southwest"? west of the Missisippi and south of CAnada?
So.Cal.914

I hear that, when I read "Southwest" I thought Cool ,San Diego I can make that one. Talimena is only 1450 miles away, no problem. Next year... smoke.gif
GS9146Driver
Hello again all!
I'm still working every day on the Six. Sway bar is in. Front struts in. Fuel tank back in. Final bondo skim coat on the upper wheel house done. Sand and then primer tomorrow. Saturday, welder.gif time to get jiggy with the MIG and get the battery tray in. I hope to put the engine back in Sunday or Monday. Been working in the shop 'til 12 am every night, getting up at 5 am is a drag! Come on, Friday! Curt Curtis called yesterday, wanted to help. Sorry to say, that it just takes a lot of man hours to get it done right.
Well, hoping I make it on the drive.
Later, George
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Apr 13 2006, 02:12 PM) *

how does OK qualify as "southwest"? west of the Missisippi and south of CAnada?

Well, since you asked, rolleyes.gif the Southwest is composed of the following states:

Oklahoma
Texas
New Mexico
Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Nevada
California

And actually, lots of people do not consider that California "qualifies" as part of the Southwest, being considered instead, a portion of the Western Pacific.

But hey, you guys are invited anyways! biggrin.gif

Joseph
914 AXhound

Joseph Mills
QUOTE(GS9146Driver @ Apr 13 2006, 08:46 PM) *

Hello again all!
I'm still working every day on the Six. Sway bar is in. Front struts in. Fuel tank back in. Final bondo skim coat on the upper wheel house done. Sand and then primer tomorrow. Saturday, welder.gif time to get jiggy with the MIG and get the battery tray in. I hope to put the engine back in Sunday or Monday. Been working in the shop 'til 12 am every night, getting up at 5 am is a drag! Come on, Friday! Curt Curtis called yesterday, wanted to help. Sorry to say, that it just takes a lot of man hours to get it done right.
Well, hoping I make it on the drive.
Later, George

Keep gittin' her done! You can do it! smash.gif

Curt said he was comin' up to help you. None of this... drunk.gif

My gas tank is dripping Por-15 sealer out of it as I type. You have to wait four days before you add fuel. That will be Wednesday. That is cutting it close. Guess I'll have to do a BUNCH of test driving. biggrin.gif

thewheel69
Ok.. everyone who is leaving from the DFW area, how about we meet up for a caravan up there on Friday?

I was thinking the parking lot of The Complete Garage on Forest lane (Owned by the Yodster... ).

But if some of you are coming from the Plano/Richardson area, this will be in the complete wrong direction.

Alternative is to meet at H&H so we can harass Wes before we leave.
Let me know.....
Also... Can I get a 914 count ?

So Clay, any decisions yet on the Dallas outbound gathering spot and time? I am most definitely in. the 1.8 has been running great and I am doing a valve adjustment today.

Do we have a headcount as yet?
Joseph Mills
Several things:

I talked with Kitty at the Kiamichi Inn and she said she only has one room left in the "wing" of the motel reserved for us. She has plenty of other rooms available, they are just in a different wing a bit further away from our area.

Call 918-567-2243 to reserve a room and remember to tell them you're with the 914 group.

Here is a the list of people that have either been mentioned, or have indicated they would like to attend (+ denotes strongly confirmed):

Joseph Mills (OKC)+
Curt Curtis (Tulsa)+
Clay Perrine (Dallas)+
Betty Perrine(Dallas)+
GS9146Driver - George (Tulsa)+
dlee1967 - David (Houston)
tommy914 - Tommy (Ridgeland, MS)+
thewheel69 (Dallas)+
Craig Mitchell (OKC)
dakotaewing - Thom & Heather (Dallas)
maxwelj - Jack ( Owasso, OK)
Dave Forman (Tulsa)+
Jerry Aigret (Tulsa)+
Joe & Jean Yoder (Dallas)
Gint (Denver)
Redbeard (Houston?)
Richard Fisher (Dallas)+
Travis Howard. 73 2.0+
Robin Howard (Dallas) +
Julie Floyd (Dallas)+

Looks like we will have 12 to 16 teener drivers along with several "support" vehicles. rolleyes.gif

It would be nice to have a headcount. If it looks like you're attending, please respond here or send me a PM. I am working on a new tour decal for everyone.

I will be arriving Friday afternoon and staying thru Monday morning. Tommy, if you attend I will probably be interested in doing a portion of the drive again on Sunday when you return home to MS.

Another way to look at this event is to also view it as a "Reliability Tour". When finished with this 500 mile or so drive, you will have established a new benchmark in mileage for your teener. Nice! driving.gif driving.gif
Joseph Mills
Five driving.gif days driving.gif and driving.gif counting... chowtime.gif beer3.gif

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Joseph Mills @ Apr 16 2006, 12:08 PM) *

Several things:

I talked with Kitty at the Kiamichi Inn and she said she only has one room left in the "wing" of the motel reserved for us. She has plenty of other rooms available, they are just in a different wing a bit further away from our area.

Call 918-567-2243 to reserve a room and remember to tell them you're with the 914 group.

Here is a the list of people that have either been mentioned, or have indicated they would like to attend (+ denotes strongly confirmed):

Joseph Mills (OKC)+
Curt Curtis (Tulsa)+
Clay Perrine (Dallas)+
Betty Perrine(Dallas)+
GS9146Driver - George (Tulsa)+
dlee1967 - David (Houston)
tommy914 - Tommy (Ridgeland, MS)
thewheel69 (Dallas)+
Craig Mitchell (OKC)
dakotaewing - Thom & Heather (Dallas)
maxwelj - Jack ( Owasso, OK)
Dave Forman (Tulsa)+
Jerry Aigret (Tulsa)+
Rich Johnson (Dallas?)
Joe & Jean Yoder (Dallas)
Gint (Denver)
Redbeard (Houston?)

Looks like we will have 8 to 12 teener drivers along with several "support" vehicles. rolleyes.gif

It would be nice to have a headcount. If it looks like you're attending, please respond here or send me a PM. I am working on a new tour decal for everyone.

I will be arriving Friday afternoon and staying thru Monday morning. Tommy, if you attend I will probably be interested in doing a portion of the drive again on Sunday when you return home to MS.

Another way to look at this event is to also view it as a "Reliability Tour". When finished with this 500 mile or so drive, you will have established a new benchmark in mileage for your teener. Nice! driving.gif driving.gif

I have some additional folks coming, and one deletion.

Rich Johnson can't come.

Richard Fisher is coming (914 with a Brodix 350 in it)!!! mueba.gif

Travis Howard. 73 2.0
Robin Howard 944 dry.gif

Julie Floyd. 914 (Sorry Julie, I can't remember the year.)

I have heard a few more are going too, but we don't have an exact count of them.

Should be a great turnout this year!!!

Dallas and Houston area folks.

The caravan departs from Wes Hildreth's shop in Plano at 3PM. We want to beat the traffic out of Dallas.

Anyone remember the address of Wes' shop? I know it is between plano parkway and 15th street, just south of the old downtown. I can drive there, but I don't know the address.

Houston folks, if you have a problem with your car, We will get it fixed before we leave.

And my caravan rules are "no one gets left behind".

I can't wait to see everyone there!!! driving.gif driving-girl.gif
Joseph Mills
Clay - I updated the list with the new additions you posted above.

We're going to need more of these... jsharp.gif ...ohmy.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

ClayPerrine
Note to all the attendees....

If you are going to beer3.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif , then I suggest that you consider Oklahoma to be BYOB.

They only sell 3.2 beer there. And this is a small town so anything more "potent" is not available.

Pack your favorite stuff IN THE TRUNK and bring it with you for the evening after the drive.

thewheel69
Click to view attachmentClay et al, I can bring a portable grill? Didn't get to my valve adjustment today nor my shock/strut/spring replacement. mad.gif

She's running pretty good and I think she'll be fine for the trip... minus the spirited driving part. driving.gif

Oh well, I am really looking forward to this trip and our maiden voyage and some food chowtime.gif and imbibing.... beerchug.gif

Took this picture this afternoon
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 16 2006, 05:02 PM) *

Note to all the attendees....

If you are going to beer3.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif , then I suggest that you consider Oklahoma to be BYOB.

They only sell 3.2 beer there. And this is a small town so anything more "potent" is not available.

Not quite correct. All you can buy in grocery stores in OK is 3.2 beer. However there is a liquor store a few blocks down the street from the motel that will have whiskey, wine and 6.0 beer, just like in the big cities. biggrin.gif

Of course, most likely all they will have is stuff like Bud, Coors, Corona and Shiner, so if you want anything more sophisticated, then you will want to bring it with you. beer.gif

Joseph Mills
QUOTE(thewheel69 @ Apr 16 2006, 06:48 PM) *

Click to view attachmentClay et al, I can bring a portable grill? Didn't get to my valve adjustment today nor my shock/strut/spring replacement. mad.gif

She's running pretty good and I think she'll be fine for the trip... minus the spirited driving part. driving.gif

Oh well, I am really looking forward to this trip and our maiden voyage and some food chowtime.gif and imbibing.... beerchug.gif

Took this picture this afternoon

That would be great if you could bring your portable grill.

Your car is gorgeous! clap56.gif

tommy914
Clay, put me down as a definate
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(tommy914 @ Apr 16 2006, 09:16 PM) *

You going to meet up with us at Wes' shop?
Red86944
Clay,

you are so blessed that my 944 is coming this week-end.

Robyn

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Red86944 @ Apr 17 2006, 12:09 AM) *

Clay,

you are so blessed that my 944 is coming this week-end.

Robyn

Bloody water pumper.... Real Porsches have AIR COOLED motors in the MIddle of the car.

Back of the line for ya..... biggrin.gif
tommy914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 16 2006, 09:39 PM) *

QUOTE(tommy914 @ Apr 16 2006, 09:16 PM) *

You going to meet up with us at Wes' shop?

No, a little out of the way for me, I'll be at the hotel sometime Friday. Kinda depends on whether I end up taking the sceninc route on the way over.
Red86944
you will be following me Clay.... driving-girl.gif
Joseph Mills
If the files I created for the vinyl guy work okay for him, I will have these stickers for everyone that attends our tour. You can put them on your car or tool box, etc.

thewheel69
Very Nice!!! clap56.gif
dennisc
Linda and I will be there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.