Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TALIMENA 1
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Joseph Mills
TALIMENA 1 is BACK!!!

Okay... it's that time of the year again! If you live in the great southwest and are just dying for a teener gathering, you're in luck! This is a no fees, no frills, no t-shirt, cheap motel gathering of teener owners with an emphasis on DRIVING.

Details:

Saturday, April 22nd
10:00am (meet in parking lot)
Kiamichi Inn (504 Dallas St.)
Talihina, OK ( http://www.talihinacc.com/ ).

For reservations call 918-567-2243. Tell "Kitty" you're with the 914 group.
These are new rates (still cheap):

1 bed 1-2 people 38.41
2 bed 2-3 people 49.39
3 bed 3-5 people 60.36

We will plan on heading out from Kitty's parking lot around 11:00am.

I will bring two of my 2-way radios. If you have some, bring'em... along with your mobil phone.

Remember, this is not a drive around the block - be adequately prepared... or be prepared to be adequately humiliated. smile.gif Extra parts and tools are strongly advised.

We have 120 miles of beautiful driving in store.

The tour will be similar in nature to the MUSR road tours, in that there will be opportunities for some "spirited" driving, but it is not a race, nor is it a competition. If you want to race, meet me at the next MUSR AX. All participants are encouraged to drive at their own comfortable pace. We will be stopping on numerous occasions for "breaks" at the scenic viewpoints and a few "photo ops'. This will allow us to re-group when necessary. Bring your camera!
OVERVIEW:
This is an informal gathering of Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Texas 914 drivers and their cars. We will meet in Talihina, OK, at the Kiamichi Inn. This is a classic "car" motel from the sixties. We again have permission to grill hamburgers in the parking lot Saturday night right next to our cars. Miss Kitty (motel owner) likes our group.

From Talihina, we will approach State Highway 1, also known as the Talimena National Scenic Byway, or for short, Talimena Drive. This road runs for sixty miles to the town of Mena, AR. Although other states can boast of a larger quantity of twisties, Talimena holds it's own when it comes to a driving challenge, and has been identified as one of the best sportscar roads in America by Car and Driver Magazine and various other car and bike organizations. It extends west to east on top of the ridgeline of Winding Stair Mountain and Rich Mountain in the Ouachita National Forest north of the Kiamichi Mountains.

These sixty miles of highway are filled with sharp curves and 13% grades of unbroken blacktop. There are lots of both low and high speed turns with many tight switchbacks that are often preceded by steep downhill grades. Your brakes should be in their best condition.

Overall, the road surface itself is in very good shape with only occasional, rough areas. There are many scenic vistas that overlook the valleys for pulling over and regrouping, or taking some pics. All of it comes together so nicely, that even if you're temporarily stuck behind a slow moving RV, it's still a cool drive.

We will tour around Mena, have a lunch break, and when everyone is ready, get back to the driving task at hand, and tour back to Talihina. After a break, we'll get together for our cookout and favorite beverages. Sunday morning we'll have a nice breakfast before heading home.

This is a fair weather get together. Mild chance of rain will not deter us, however eminent threat of severe precipitation will cancel our plans. We will be in touch as the time draws near.

Hope to see you!
Joseph Mills
A few pics from last year...
Joseph Mills
you need a good head of steam for this one biggrin.gif
Joseph Mills
LOTS of these turns...
Joseph Mills
Oh yeah...

So who is planning on going? biggrin.gif
dlee1967
It's a haul from Houston, but I am willing. Let's see if Anne will come with me and drive her car. I won't hold me breath for the other folks. Maybe Redbeard will blow the dust off of the "Suicide Blonde" and tow dolly?
Eddie Williams
QUOTE (dlee1967 @ Feb 27 2006, 09:53 PM)
I won't hold me breath for the other folks.

Hey I resemble that comment...

hijacked.gif When are we going to have another Houston get together??
Andyrew
I like that uphill!

bet I could reach the end of 5th... lol

looks like fun!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 27 2006, 09:32 PM)
I like that uphill!

bet I could reach the end of 5th... lol

looks like fun!

rolleyes.gif

gotta lug all that bondo up the hill.... laugh.gif poke.gif
Joseph Mills
David Lee...

I'd love to see some V8's rip those hills. Those hills need some rippin'. biggrin.gif

And if you show up Andrew, I'll pay for your gas (up the hill). beer.gif
ClayPerrine
Hey.. I know the car in most of your pictures!!! I was either driving or riding in it. biggrin.gif

Planning on being there. Bringing BOTH cars this year.

We are going to arrive Friday night like last year. Now if I can remember how to get there..... wink.gif

C'mon everyone.... let's driving.gif
Eddie Williams
If I had a driver, I'd do it. I don't want to be the one in a minivan!
ClayPerrine
Joseph,

Are you going to drive with both hands this year? poke.gif

I would suggest getting a camera mount for the car before the run.

Maybe I will bring the video camera and mount it in my car.

Joseph Mills
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 27 2006, 10:46 PM)
Bringing BOTH cars this year.

We are going to arrive Friday night like last year.

I'm looking forward to seeing your car since I had to miss MUSR last year.

So now we have a six and "possibly" a V8.

Hope I can hang. unsure.gif

If time permits, I'd love to get down on Friday.

Since there are going to be more Okies this year, you Texas guys need to step up to the plate. biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
Another shot to entice the slackers out there.....

BTW... Is Kurt of the wooden bumpers coming again this year?

dlee1967
Hey Clay......stop poking people........ poke.gif

Back at yah......I'll have my 914 trailer if you should need it.....LOL
Aaron Cox
can clay reach the pedals?

i hear he is wicked short biggrin.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 27 2006, 10:57 PM)
Joseph,

Are you going to drive with both hands this year? poke.gif

Hey...

I drink with one hand...

I shoot with one hand...

I drive with one hand...

when I'm shifting...

ClayPerrine
QUOTE (dlee1967 @ Feb 27 2006, 11:05 PM)
Hey Clay......stop poking people........ poke.gif

Back at yah......I'll have my 914 trailer if you should need it.....LOL

Ah... the joys of a "new" 914 that has not been sorted out. finger.gif

I have driven it a bunch since that picture, and the burns from the heat exchangers have healed.

It runs GOOD!!!! driving.gif

And I got a portable grill for christmas that I am going to bring. chowtime.gif
dlee1967
jsharp.gif Sorry....I couldn't resist........
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 27 2006, 11:06 PM)
can clay reach the pedals?

i hear he is wicked short biggrin.gif

I am 5'6" tall. And that is tall enough so my feet reach the ground. biggrin.gif

Yes, I can reach the pedals, but only if the seat is ALL the way forward.
ClayPerrine
Joseph...

Should we call this the Talimena 1 Classic?
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (Eddie Williams @ Feb 27 2006, 10:51 PM)
If I had a driver, I'd do it. I don't want to be the one in a minivan!

John Travolta drove a minivan...

Big time Gansta...

Joseph Mills
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 27 2006, 11:12 PM)
Joseph...
Should we call this the Talimena 1 Classic?

Nope.

Too many classics already.

We're more like pioneers. biggrin.gif

We're driving the road. And the road is highway 1.

mrdezyne
Oh how I wish I had something running for this drive. Start a list for next year and put my name at the top. My old BMW group made this run a couple of times and it is the cats meow! Have a blast, be safe, and most important... POST SOME DAMN PICS WHEN YOU GET BACK!!!! biggrin.gif
Betty
It really is beautiful up there around that time of year!!! wub.gif And the cookout is the most relaxed time I've ever had at a car event anything! You have literally three feet to stumble/be carried from where your empties litter the ground to your motel room. beer.gif

Of course.... if we're talking V8 and 6's.... my poor little 1.8 will be stylin' in the back of the conga line. biggrin.gif

I'll wave as you guys pull away on the uphill slopes... You can then wave back when I catch up through the corners. driving-girl.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Betty @ Feb 28 2006, 10:31 AM)
It really is beautiful up there around that time of year!!! wub.gif And the cookout is the most relaxed time I've ever had at a car event anything! You have literally three feet to stumble/be carried from where your empties litter the ground to your motel room. beer.gif

Of course.... if we're talking V8 and 6's.... my poor little 1.8 will be stylin' in the back of the conga line. biggrin.gif

I'll wave as you guys pull away on the uphill slopes... You can then wave back when I catch up through the corners. driving-girl.gif

Guess who was doing the "carrying" and the cleanup of the empties..... dry.gif

Oh.. and if she says she is going to "catch up" in the downhill twisties, it means she will be right behind you blowing the horn wanting to pass...... driving-girl.gif

jr91472
hmm, missed this original post...

oh yea, I am IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am putting the finishing touches on my new carbs and engine bay resto.... sawzall-smiley.gif Should be ready soon........

Seriously folks, this event rocks.....don' t miss it.
ClayPerrine
Just made the room reservations.... We will be in the same room as last year.

ClayPerrine
icon_bump.gif

Hopefully we will have a bigger turnout than last year.... rocking nana.gif
Gint
It's *only* 871 miles... idea.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Gint @ Feb 28 2006, 08:15 PM)
It's *only* 871 miles... idea.gif

That's not far at all...

C'mon, you know you want to show up.

I talked to Jean Yoder yesterday. She is gonna kick Joe out of their store for a couple of days. She says they needs a break.

jr91472
ugh.....Easter weekend...... headbang.gif

I am screwed...
ClayPerrine
It was pointed out that the weekend of April 15th is also Easter Weekend. So the Talimena 1 "Executive Committee" (Joseph and myself) have chosen to change the dates.

Update your calendars boys and girls.... It is now April 22nd.

driving.gif driving-girl.gif
Joseph Mills
Thanks for the heads up JR.

We're changing the date to the following weekend.

Our new date is April 22nd. I have edited the original announcement.

My life would be much simpler if Palm Pilot calendars included holidays... biggrin.gif
jr91472
QUOTE (Joseph Mills @ Mar 1 2006, 09:07 AM)

My life would be much simpler if Palm Pilot calendars included holidays... biggrin.gif

yea, I have the same compliant.....thanks beer.gif
ClayPerrine
JR,

We changed it because of you... so don't back out on us.....

If you do, I am going to come over to your house and WELD JACKSTANDS TO THE BOTTOM OF YOUR 914!!!! wink.gif
jr91472
oh and I am in biggrin.gif

I am fairly confident that my neighbor with 74 will be coming as well. I will confirm. beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Mar 1 2006, 11:20 AM)
oh and I am in biggrin.gif

I am fairly confident that my neighbor with 74 will be coming as well. I will confirm. beerchug.gif

That reminds me.. I need to tell Bob and Debbine about this. They loved it last year.

I gotta get those two up and running on the internet. biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
The really nice folks at the motel there changed my reservations automatically when Joseph called them to change the weekend.

smilie_pokal.gif

We are all set for April 22nd. driving.gif
ClayPerrine
Now this sucks... I just found out that April 23rd is a AX for Maverick region. We may have to go back on Saturday night so we can go to the AX on Sunday.....

shoguneagle
I was just dropping by and saw this thread. Read it. Looks like a great trip!!! Hope everyone will make it and have a great time. Make sure you post pictures and let the rest of us know how it went. The road looks great.

Enjoy.

Steve Hurt
GS9146Driver
Hello all!
Guess I'd better get cracking and fix one of the teeners. The Six has been down for a battery tray replacement welder.gif and front sway bar. The 1.8 shucked a CV backing out of the dentist's office a month ago. I've got to extract a broken bolt and repack the CV. I should at least be able to get that done before th 22nd of April. I am going to shoot for getting the Six done to test the sway bar on those twisties. driving.gif
Okay, now all I've got to do is make reservations.
See everyone there,
George
beerchug.gif
Clay, don't let 'em get to ya' man; I also drive with the seat at the foward stop. I always keep in mind that at 5'6" I am the tall one in my family, yeah! mueba.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (GS9146Driver @ Mar 9 2006, 09:04 PM)

Clay, don't let 'em get to ya' man; I also drive with the seat at the foward stop. I always keep in mind that at 5'6" I am the tall one in my family, yeah! mueba.gif

Naaa... they don't get to me. I deal with that stromberg.gif all the time. I am the tallest of 4 siblings, and I am the same height as my dad, and a lot taller than my mother. The problem is that my sisters all married 6 footers. So my nephews and nieces are all taller than me.

I get my revenge when I can stand under a car on the lift, and my nephew has to sit in a chair to work with me. biggrin.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (GS9146Driver @ Mar 9 2006, 09:04 PM)
Hello all!
Guess I'd better get cracking and fix one of the teeners.

George - glad to hear you can make it. I talked to Curt recently and he said there are 4 other teeners from Tulsa going.

I gotta get started on the car "badges".

beer.gif
GS9146Driver
Hi guys,
I found some metal in the oil sump screen of the 1.8 last weekend and some as well in the oil filter. So, whether or not I make it on the drive depends if I get the Six back together by then.
I have decided to build up my spare 2.0 for the track car before I tear down the 1.8. I don't need another engine in pieces.
I will try to keep you posted on the progress with the Six.
Later, George
Joseph Mills
George-

Track car?

You have a third 914? confused24.gif

biggrin.gif

dakotaewing
QUOTE (Joseph Mills @ Mar 22 2006, 07:12 PM)
George-

Track car?

You have a third 914? confused24.gif

biggrin.gif

George has 4 914's and 3 PLANES in his "garage".... av-943.gif

His garage could hold about 35 914's... aktion035.gif

Sorry George - I couldn't resist... rolleyes.gif
tommy914
Question.
How long will the drive take from Mena to Talihina (1 way) along the scenic hwy 1?

I'm considering coming up that way on Friday, and going back that way on Sunday. that way I get to drive it 4 times in 2 days. biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
It took us a couple hours last year. And we were NOT going slow.....

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.