FlatSix
Can I bolt a 1.7 onto a side shifter?

Thanks,
Andy
Mueller
yes.....

FlatSix
Thank goodness for that. smilie_pokal.gif

I've already agreed to purchase the motor, and declined on the tail shifter gearbox!
jr91472
I assume you have the late model motor mounts and support bar?
FlatSix
I assume you have the late model motor mounts and support bar?

Umm NO. ohmy.gif

I had converted to a six with a quicksix mounting bar but that engine needs a rebuild.

My plan is to install this little engine for the summer.

I have 911 engine mounts will they be OK.

I need to source an engine mounting bar and the 'long' gearshift rod.
rhodyguy
if you are converting an earlier car(stock with tailshifter) you will need the following. the complete shifter assem , the front rod, the adapter bushing in the firewall, the rear shift rod, the engine mount bar, the 2 brackets that bolt to the front of the case, 2 inboard rubber mounts, 2 outboard solid mounts, and the coupler for the rod to trans. consider the other side shift bushing, a ball cup bushing and frt to rear rod coupler bushings. these can be purchased as a complete package.

k
FlatSix
No, It's a '76.

I will be using the original side shifer gearbox.
lapuwali
You shouldn't need a different engine mounting bar, then, or any other shifting parts. The 1.7 will all just bolt up. The only thing you may need (but should be able to get off your stock 4, assuming you still have it) are the mounting brackets and rubber mounts that connect the engine to the mounting bar. They're different between tailshift and sideshift, and it's likely the 1.7 you're getting has the tailshift parts on it.
FlatSix
Thanks guys.

I'm collecting the engine this weekend so I'll see then what parts it comes with (and what fits!).

Just glad to know that in principle it is a bolt together job, so long as I have the right parts to bolt together.
r_towle
you need the 4 cylinder engine bar...its a cast iron piece with a hole for the shifter bar.

The rest of your shifter linkage should be the same if you are still running the stock side shifter and you have not bent the rods to accomidate the six.

Rich
r_towle
once you figure it out...take pics of what you have...
I have spares of the rest...

Rich
rhodyguy
there you go. i was unsure exactly how exstensive the swap needs were. if you were going to an early chassis, you would need the whole list. you saved a ton on shipping wink.gif .

k
Cap'n Krusty
To clarify the answers, if you're gonna install an engine from a tail shift car into a side shift car, you need the 2 engine mount brackets, the 2 bonded rubber mounts, the engine cross bar, the 2 outer engine mount "channel" pieces, and the associated hardware. You may or may not need a new shift rod from the firewall to the trans shift console. Probably will, IMO. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.