Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st flare installed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Joe Ricard
OK here is what I did . sanded primed and fit the flare.
marked all the spots for rivets. 3/4" from edge spaced 5 7/8" apart

Then used double sticky tape and stuck the fender to the car.
marked the layout and position so I could repeat.

pulled off flare marked 1 1/2 inches in and made a cut line.

Without a single beer I took a deep breath and fired up my Hitachi jig saw with extra fine blade

30 seconds later I had a big ass hole where the fender was.

Joe Ricard
The hole No turning back now
Joe Ricard
Had to trim here and there on the bottom edges of the car and flare for a good fit
Joe Ricard
I just have it hanging on with #6 1/2" hex screws pulled up nice and tight all the way around.
Andyrew
not nearly the size hole I cut... lol

f/g? Looks good
Joe Ricard
So Paul here ya go to answer the question will the big fatty slicks fit????

I Don't know depends on how much the tire is pinched on the rim.
FYI the tire in the bag is 22 x 9.5 x 15 Hoosier bias ply slick cross section is 12" off the rim.
Joe Ricard
Nuther fatty pic
Joe Ricard
and for reference here is a 225/45-15 Hoosier on a 15 x 8 Diamond rim with 4.75" backspace. Tons of room
Joe Ricard
nuther
SirAndy
did you use the "flared rocker panels" as a guide to where to mount your fender flares?

if not, you'll have to use a lot of bondo to make this look right ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
Joe Ricard
BONDO???????????? confused24.gif

Big fatty pop rivets baby that's why I took such care in laying out where the holes go.
Going to paint the fenders then rivet them on and leave the rivets shiny. and a black piece of beading to trim the edge of the flare.
Aaron Cox
please weld up your sidemarker hole first....
Joe Ricard
Yea yea yea. it was dark as crap when I cleaned up. I'll get to it this weekend as the paint drys on the flares.
balljoint
Just one done? ONE? Whatter you playing around on the computer fer? Hurry up, git at 'er!!!

wavey.gif Lookin' gud though. smile.gif

Joe Ricard
Maybe a drawing of "how to" fuck up a perfectly good fender. rolleyes.gif Where is Miles when you need him.
shadygrady
That's looking good. smilie_pokal.gif

My track car has flares like that. I left town when my mechanic got out the saw. couldn't stand to watch. biggrin.gif

the black fender welting for VW bugs works well. you can get it from JC Whitney. I also used black plastic pop rivets, and they go well with the black welting. as info I put 255/40zr17's on 10 inch wheels in the back and had room to spare. 235/45/zr17's on 9 inch wheels fit well in the front. the 17's fill out the wheel wells really nice. I tried some 275/50zr15's on 15x8 fuchs in the back, but the left side would not clear even though the right side would. I believe 265's would fit. Will try to take some pictures to post.
Joe Ricard
I have learned that tire numbers have very little meaning to me.

Section width is what matters and I think I pushed it too far with the slicks. Off the rim section width is 12" Hopefully the tire will get pinched in enough to change the section width.
Does anyone know what Chris Foley runs on his orange car?
J P Stein
The only place you may run into a problem is with the height of the fender lip.... and that at full (or close to) lock & full suspension compression. I had to raise the fender opening bout 3/4 inch. also had to do some trimming at the back edge of my LE air dam & adjacent fender....which you cut away.....normal rife height was the worst. I had to push the fender out and reweld the support.

It's a PITA to check for the clearance at full compression & lock, but better than tearing up tiars or body work at an AX.
john rogers
That is pretty much just how I did mine. I used some Cleco fasteners to help hold the flare on while driling additional holes. I also bought a pneumatic riveter at Harbor Freight for $20 since I got tired of squeezing that dammed rivet plier. I learned to put a piece of tape around the rivet area as the rivet tool tends to jump some. I also found it works well to back the inside of the rivet with aluminum rivet washers.
Joe Ricard
I've been thinking about them rivet washers. Great minds think alike eh?
So John what size tire have you run in front?
J P Stein
You didn't ask me, Joe, but mine are wide enuff to learn all about "scrub radius" and that I'm agin' it. Gonna try something different up front this year confused24.gif
john rogers
I use 9x23x15 cantilever slicks on both ends. I have Centerline 4 bolt road race wheels and use 5/8 in spacers in the rear and 3/4 inch spacers in front. I am also using the alloy 4 bolt hubs but I think the wheel spacing is about the same as a stock hub.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Feb 28 2006, 08:16 PM)
You didn't ask me, Joe, but mine are wide enuff to learn all about "scrub radius" and that I'm agin' it. Gonna try something different up front this year confused24.gif

Because your tires are so damn fat AND I listen good to what you have done to your car.
My son and I were talking, we figure the Red Neck Racer has progressed to about where your car was 3 years ago. maybe 2.
Hell I even have some of you old parts biggrin.gif

Well it is going to be a stretch to get them tires in the front to fit. Going to be hell to pay if I need to get skinnier ones for the front.
But But honey really I'll just keep these for whenthe rear tires need replacing and just get another set for the front. Where is the frying pan to head smilie.
watsonrx13
Joe, what have you DONE????????????? ohmy.gif

BTW, nice job.... sawzall-smiley.gif

Can you post a pic inside the fenderwell, looking up at the top of the flare? I'm trying to understand how you 'finished' the metal fender and what kind of a gap is between the metal and f/g.

-- Rob
ChrisFoley
One thing leads to another, eh! biggrin.gif

I run the same Hoosier slicks on 7x15 rims but the shape of my flares is very different from the GT style. I think your slicks will be an inch narrower once mounted on 7" wide rims. My tires rub the inner fenders before full lock but never rub the outer fenders.
Joe Ricard
Hey, Paul ya here that? Theres hope for us yet?
Thanks Chris. BTW I'm a getting used to the header and silencer. The nieghbors quit complaining guess they gave up. rolleyes.gif
and it is sooooo purdy. wub.gif
bd1308
Hey joe, dont be scared....it's all gonna be okay man smile.gif

that one flare looks incredibly 'bootylicious' (cant believe i just said that)

b
Joe Ricard
Britt, You crack me up.

Rob, the gap on the inside is minimal. I will take a hammer and dolly to get the lip tight against the fiberglass.
I am going to get some kind of caulk / adhesive stuff to go inbetween. just has to be real thin so the gap is tight. Don't want the rocks and sand to get gaught up inbetween. Probaly spray a VERY thin layer of under coating just to seal it.
URY914
Joe,

Sorry I haven't replied earlier but I've been sick.

I about shit too when I saw how wide those babies when mine were delivered. And I just painted my car a few weeks ago. ohmy.gif My tires airn't mounted yet but I'm running 8" rims so my section will be a little wider than yours.

I'm more worried about the front than the rears. Cause in the rear I'm using spacers to get the tire out to the flair. But on the fronts, as JP said, its when you start turning whose big tires is when the trouble starts.

What about the overall height of the tire, is it less than your street/ax tires?

There is also +/- 3/4" worth f/g on the inside of of the wheel opening you can cut out to get some more room.

P
Joe Ricard
Hmm, The rims that Degreedoff is sending me are 8.5" wide.
I also have the 4 diamond wheels 8" wide. with 5" backspace and 4.5" backspace.

Looking up the tire spec on R&S racing they call the tire a C3000 What does that mean? is it a cantilevered slick? May have to raise the car a bit. and "fine tune the fender lip"

AND DOWN THE SLIPPERY SLOW I SLIDE.
URY914
Hooiser calls it a C3000, it's in their spec table on the web site.

I don't think it is canlievered. If it was the tire would be marked with "this side out facing" or something. I looked at mine and didn't see any markings.

P
Joe Ricard
SO, if there is a need for a smaller tire. what are the options?
23 x 8.5 x 15 only comes in a harder compound 35 and 45 or something like that.

Would have to do all four to keep tire pompound the same. Wife is going to kill me. alfred.gif
URY914
I say keep those tires and make the flares work. Re working the flares with fiberglass is better than a harder tire. wink.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 1 2006, 10:16 AM)
AND DOWN THE SLIPPERY SLOW I SLIDE.

yeah that happens when you get older, or so i hear laugh.gif

if you meant slope, yeah thats the one i'm at the top of right now, should i keep it aircooled or not?

b
Joe Ricard
confused24.gif Just keep it on topic
Progress made today rear flares permanently attached I am please with the results
Fronts are ready to go got the side markers welded up primed and painted. Front fenders get riveted Saturday.

Joe Ricard
Close up this is EXACTLY what I wanted
Joe Ricard
Under side because Rob asked
nice and tight to the edge rivets with backing washer, Great idea John Rodgers. Pretty much a PITA but worth it.
J P Stein
Hay, good lookin' rivets biggrin.gif
*Maybe* I'll get used to the welting. cool_shades.gif
Joe Ricard
Figures I got the one rivet that didn't get a washer.
Nuther of the under Gee I should scrape al that nasty stuff off and put new in. idea.gif
Aaron Cox
looks cool.

MOAR PICSHORES laugh.gif
Mueller
looks good...I changed my mind, can I have my flares back now?? smile.gif
Joe Ricard
Oh yea and special shout out to the old guy JP. He saw fit to send me 100 of the sexy rivets because everything around here was under water.
clap56.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 3 2006, 06:39 PM)
looks good...I changed my mind, can I have my flares back now?? smile.gif

Yea 500.00 because they have been upgraded to happy11.gif a running car
grasshopper
i think that is what i am going to do on my car.... still cant decide yet....the more and more i look at the GT flares, the more i like them... i might get 916 flares though.... they are a little more rounded.... Love the Work!!! good job Joe!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Mar 3 2006, 07:43 PM)
i think that is what i am going to do on my car.... still cant decide yet....the more and more i look at the GT flares, the more i like them... i might get 916 flares though.... they are a little more rounded.... Love the Work!!! good job Joe!

they are one and the same barry.....
J P Stein
I don't send them rivets to just anybody, ya know.
Them's are special AX rivets & only fast guys (or those with promise) get em'. wink.gif
Joe Ricard
Well Next is the door skins and gutted early doors. Could take awhile for that. Been spying the engine lid, lots of extra metal on that baby too. Let's see take the lid off the stripper get the screen off and make me a GT lid. WHoo HOO !
Man I just gotta stop. Whoops too late off to the garage.
grasshopper
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 3 2006, 06:44 PM)
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Mar 3 2006, 07:43 PM)
i think that is what i am going to do on my car.... still cant decide yet....the more and more i look at the GT flares, the more i like them... i might get 916 flares though....  they are a little more rounded.... Love the Work!!! good job Joe!

they are one and the same barry.....

dead horse.gif 051103-stupid4.gif
URY914
Flares:

916=GT

biggrin.gif
URY914
Joe,
Do we have to go back and repost all the stuff we talked about on PP when the Club was down??? rolleyes.gif wacko.gif laugh.gif confused24.gif

P
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.