Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for help on door lock and turn signals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike McGrath
Very excited to get my first teener this past weekend. Two problems with the car that I couldn't find solutions to in the Haynes book or with a search. Oh ye heavenly gods of knowledge, bless me with an answer...

1. The driver's door doesn't open from the outside. The lever moves / opens, but doesn't open. I haven't yet taken the door apart to look at the insides, but plan to this week. Until then, I crawl through the other side like a noob.

2. The turn signals light when you move the stalk, but they don't click on and off. If I move the stalk left, the light stays on and doesn't blink and the stalk does not return to center after you complete a turn. Also, both light gauges light up when either side is activated. Not a life-threatening problem, as I can do it by hand, but my rthym is affected by whatever is on the stereo.

1970, by the way. Everything else is just as expected and I turned down an S2000 in favor of an Acura contemplating the 914. Crazy, yes, but pointless to have two convertibles in Oregon.

Many thanks in advance. I get these projects done and I'm goin' WCC'n this year!

Mike (in Portland)

Joe Ricard
Betcha the plastic do-hickey is broke inside the door handle assy. you can order from Pelican parts. Pretty easy to replace I have done several cars now. Just gotta be able to screw without looking.
Tunr signal relay is dirty. pull the cover off it and spray it with electronic contact cleaner. Or the P.O. screwed you with a relay form FLAPS and it will always light both lights.
the auto cancel is part of the steering wheel hub. might be mis aligned. Stock wheel?
URY914
For the FULL story on outside door handles go to my blog. I wrote up a full report.
(I know too much about these things) rolleyes.gif
markb
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 28 2006, 06:09 PM)
Just gotta be able to screw without looking.

That line is just waaaaaay too easy! laugh.gif
Joe Ricard
Yea loft one up for a home run and it goes by wasted. wacko.gif
PhoenixINX
Just did the door ... Picked up the replacement part from AA and they designed it to be FAR EASIER to get on, than the older one is to take off.

+1 on the trying to screw it back in blindly.

Otherwise, simple hour job! smile.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 28 2006, 07:26 PM)
For the FULL story on outside door handles go to my blog. I wrote up a full report.
(I know too much about these things) rolleyes.gif

And you don't even have doors (much less handles) on your car. screwy.gif
URY914
QUOTE (PhoenixINX @ Feb 28 2006, 07:18 PM)
Just did the door ... Picked up the replacement part from AA and they designed it to be FAR EASIER to get on, than the older one is to take off.

+1 on the trying to screw it back in blindly.

Otherwise, simple hour job! smile.gif

Although they are easy to get on the handle, they are at times too "soft" to function properly.

I've seen them flex and not be able to provide enough force to release the latch. So they are not perfect.

I need to add this comment to my blog with a picture of one that I have that has done this.

Paul wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.