Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition woes continue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BenNC
OK guys I've got at least two things going on. I finally got a good switch (fourth times a charm), but I'm still not starting.

1. I get power going into the relay board, but not coming out. What happens to the juice once it enters the board? I cleaned up the pins and connectors, but I still do not get power out consistantly.

2. When I do get power out the starter turns like a champ, but I am not getting spark all the time. This is a new trick. Is this associated with number 1, or a whole new problem.

Thanks
BenNC
and in a recent development, my Pertronix unit just burned up. headbang.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Ben, what do mean by burned up? be more specific please.
ChrisReale
Probably left the ignition on, like it says not to do.....?
BenNC
Burned up as in smoke pouring out of the distibutor.

Refresh my memory. Is it bad to leave the switch in the run position or the start position?

If its in the run position then I probably killed it when I was troubleshooting my headlights. That would explain why I wasn't getting spark. I just killed it worse now.

Good thing I kept the points.
TheCabinetmaker
Yes, you burned it up with the ignition on. Put the points back in.
ChrisReale
pertronix says not to leave the ignition on for more that 10 (?) seconds or else it will burn up the unit. I would use a set of points during the trouble shoot period. If you still have the receipt for the Pertronix, it has a 60 day warranty...?? maybe get another.....?
BenNC
OK, one problem chalked up to the faulty nut behind the steering wheel.

Now, any thoughts on the relay board.
TheCabinetmaker
intermitent spark would suggest a short somewhere. Replace the relays with the ones from the headlight motors. Check voltage at the coil. Make sure all electrical connections are clean and tight.
Brad Roberts
Ben..

The relay boards are known to fail. Oh.. word to the wise.. remove the POS coil wire when you are going to have the key in the on position for any longer than 5 minutes (even with points).

Bypass the relay board and basically hot wire the coil to the battery.. see if it runs correctly. Then you will know whether or not it is the relay board.

B
rhodyguy
chris, forget an implied warrentee, remember the old "no return on electrical parts". i think lawrence can attest to this as well. i went through 4 or 5 days of misery with my NEW compufire. as geoff wrote,"nice kevin, put in the points and start the car". 10 minutes and it was vrooom.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.