Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cableshifter Quandry
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I calculated out the cables I need.. overall length of 7 and 8 feet. Everyone says mcmaster-carr has the perfect cables.. well they jump from 6 feet to 15 feet!

Where do I go to get 7 and 8 feet long cables, without having to go to some expensive custom place? If I have to go to an expensive custom place, any suggestions that are less expensive than others?
mike_the_man
My buddy used some cables for a motorboat for his Europa. Not sure where he got them from, but I'll ask. I've been thinking about trying the same.

JeffBowlsby
Royce, check Eric Ts site for his cable shiifter, maybe this will help:

http://www.etischer.com/914cableshift.html

wbergtho
biggrin.gif I Think I have you covered here. I just ordered a pair of 5/16-24 McMaster-Carr cables in lengths of 84" (part #: 1407K 93) and an 96" (part #: 1407K95). I ordered tyhem directly through McMaster-Carr and they were in stock 1 week ago. THEY DON'T APPEAR ONLINE ON THEIR WEBSITE...YOU HAVE TO CALL THEM AND ASK THEM FOR THESE PART NUMBERS). Call either (562) 692-5911 or (732) 392-6200. The super great thing is that they take orders 24/7...so you can call right now if you like. See if they can still get you a pair. I'll bet a buck you can...I DID. biggrin.gif

Let me know if I can help,

Bill
bd1308
Call Terry at Terry Cables....he'll make you one.

b
TimT
Aircraft Spruce will probably have something, or try a local marine supply house.
bondo
QUOTE (wbergtho @ Mar 3 2006, 10:37 PM)
biggrin.gif I Think I have you covered here. I just ordered a pair of 5/16-24 McMaster-Carr cables in lengths of 84" (part #: 1407K 93) and an 96" (part #: 1407K95). I ordered tyhem directly through McMaster-Carr and they were in stock 1 week ago. THEY DON'T APPEAR ONLINE ON THEIR WEBSITE...YOU HAVE TO CALL THEM AND ASK THEM FOR THESE PART NUMBERS). Call either (562) 692-5911 or (732) 392-6200. The super great thing is that they take orders 24/7...so you can call right now if you like. See if they can still get you a pair. I'll bet a buck you can...I DID. biggrin.gif

Let me know if I can help,

Bill

Sweet! If you enter the part numbers, they show up on the Mcmaster web page!

I did some part number exploring and found that 1407K77 and 1407K79 are the same thing but in 1/4-28, which is the size I'm looking for.

One more step in the right direction.. Thanks!
wbergtho
Most of the guys here are using the 5/16 size cables. What gearbox are you going to use? driving.gif
bondo
QUOTE (wbergtho @ Mar 4 2006, 06:49 PM)
Most of the guys here are using the 5/16 size cables. What gearbox are you going to use? driving.gif

Sideshift 901.

All the cars I looked at in the wrecking yard had cables around 1/4" including the one I took the shifter from. I figure going bigger will just add weight and a worse min. bend radius of the cable.
wbergtho
Hey Bondo,

I gotcha...The 901 takes alot less effort to shift than a 915 or 930 box. My box is a 930 and I needed a bit beefier cable. You should be fine with 1/4". Did you get ahold of Mcmaster-Carr and order the appropriate cables? I thought their customer service was excellent and was amazed that they stay open all night (24/7)! The cables are very well made. I believe you'll like them when you get em. aktion035.gif rocking nana.gif

Regards,

Bill
bondo
QUOTE (wbergtho @ Mar 5 2006, 10:05 AM)
Hey Bondo,

I gotcha...The 901 takes alot less effort to shift than a 915 or 930 box. My box is a 930 and I needed a bit beefier cable. You should be fine with 1/4". Did you get ahold of Mcmaster-Carr and order the appropriate cables? I thought their customer service was excellent and was amazed that they stay open all night (24/7)! The cables are very well made. I believe you'll like them when you get em. aktion035.gif rocking nana.gif

Regards,

Bill

Haven't ordered them yet... Just planning out what I need to buy when I get some money. smile.gif

I may end up with a 930 eventually, but it shouldn't be too hard to upgrade cables when that time comes. (one of the reasons I'm going cable shift is because I don't want to have to re-hack the body if I need to upgrade my trans)
Phoenix-MN
Bondo,
I'm currently working on a cable shifter solution for side shift box also. I've sourced a shifter and cables from a GM car that I think will work. I'm drawing up some ideas for the the linkage for the transmission end. I would like to see what you have come up with and if it is any better that what I have thought of. PM me nad we can share ideas.

Thanks
Paul
wbergtho
Hello Paul,

I just spent over a week fabricating a cable shifter for my 930 box. I used a Mitsubishi 3000 GT shifter, McMaster-Carr 5/16" cables, and custom set up at the back. It works very well. I'll add a few pics.

Bill
wbergtho
Oh...that's right. You are doing a sideshifter. My rear stuff is way different. But here's a pic of the shifter.
Engman
1/4" cables are rated to 150 lbf.

Use them at work in the mower....

Two companys make em in the US. You CAN get any custom length you want - if you order enough.

Watch your angles on the attachment points - these have like a 9 degree allowable bend at the ends. Just have to place it right.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.