Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2003 ECR - Manchester VT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ArtechnikA
Joy and i got to participate in our first Porsche-oriented activity IN A RUNNING PORSCHE.
the 911 still has a few injection-related wierdnesses but ran reliably there, during and back; this is the first time i've run it for more than an hour at a time...

John Dunkle was there with his 'slightly modified' 914.6, and Dave McLaughlin, the other half of ArtechnikA, brought his 914.6 conversion. several-many other known (or rumoured) 914 owners brought 'taildragger' power (911) including Ed Morrow, and there were plenty of 914/4's and a couple of "Not A Porsche" participants ...

co-chair Ralf Hartmann has posted an event report on Rennlist, and there are pictures (including some of moi and the 911) at the ECR Photo Repository.

wonderful cruise through the Poconos and New York State getting there, wonderful destination location, great facilities and weather, fun (if a little too fast and unstructured) drive through some of Vermont's twisty bits, an outstanding awards Banquet (in which Damp Dave beat out Joy and me in the Trivia Quiz by a mere two points - but OTOH i guess he already has all the Pelican Parts Tees he needs...) and fantastic comeraderie. leaves on the sumacs and maples were just starting to turn - beautiful !

i'm told that at just over 300 mi Joy and i probably took long-distance honors (discounting DD's airline-assisted and rental-Chevrolet completed mileage) which surprised us a little. this event deserves better attendence and - if we return to the same venue next year (as currently under discussion...) with the slate of activities i heard proposed - it'll be quite the event. look for the event notices, and put it on your calendar -- i'll do what i can to promote the event in this forum ...

see you there !
ejm
Rich - It was good to see you again and to meet Joy. Glad your first long trip with the 911 was uneventful.

On all counts I think this was the best ECR yet. Terry and I had a great time and our daughter is already talking about going again next year. Our thanks to Joe and Ralf.

The Equinox hill climb that some of us did before leaving Sunday was awesome. Five mile road that climbs 3500' in elevation with a good variety of straights, curves and 180's. What a view from the final straight! Sure to be part of a Rennlist event in the future. I've posted a few pictures here.
tod914
Paul,

Did you have a get together this summer? Didnt see anything posted on it.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Sep 9 2003, 03:39 AM)
It sounds like you guys and gals had fun. Maybe we'll be able to make it next year. However, it looks like the taildraggers are outnumbering the 914s. Do I have to bring a 911 to come to the next ECR?

t'was great fun indeed, especially since it's the first [W]Ramble for me i didn't have to put on ! if the rumoured hillclimb event returns next year with an official sanction i'll be there -- with the new brakes, suspension, and pedal bushings so i'll have more than an inch of throttle travel... and a way to keep parking-lot would-be MFI experts from tinkering with stuff while i'm not looking :-) ...

i think the event could have done with *a little* more structure but i don't dare complain too much lest i get sucked into helping organise next year's event !

a 911 is not required, almost any 6-, 8-, or 10-cylinder Porsche is welcome :-) ... i brought mine because the alternative was - Subaru... i'm sure i won't even have started working on my 914 by this time next year...

i'd love to come up and attend your GTG but preparing for the ECR overspent my time budget for many issues and i really need to play catch-up for a while -- although i will be installing the new pedal cluster bushings if they arrive in time for the weekend.
Dave_Darling
A few more pics can be found at:

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albup65

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albup66

Had a good time indeed!! biggrin.gif

--DD
TimT
rumoured hillclimb

They dont run the Mt Equinox hillclimb anymore?

I wanted to go up in my 3.2 powered 914, raise the suspension about an inch and give it a go!!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(TimT @ Sep 11 2003, 02:01 PM)
They dont run the Mt Equinox hillclimb anymore?

I wanted to go up in my 3.2 powered 914, raise the suspension about an inch and give it a go!!

i don't know who the 'they' would be - i'm new to this area.

certainly, there wasn't an 'official' driving / hillclimb activity as part of the East Coast Ramble. maybe "they" - whoever's organizing the East Coast Ramble which probably involves John Dunkle to some extent - are looking at moving the date of the Ramble tp coincide with an established event that includes the hillclimb. or moving the hillclimb to correspond with the ECR.

i think it'd be great fun - especially if i can return with all my throttle travel - but i just won't do an unstructured, unsanctioned, ad hoc street race event. it doesn't offend my sensibilities if those other guys want to - but it's not something i choose to be involved with.

a proper event, with real course control, some rudimentary attention to safety - i'm up for that ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.