Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: upper dash pad removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joeav8tor
Hi,
I am going to be removing my upper dashpad, I have a replacement pad that I can use as a guide to locate the nuts that need to be removed (13mm?) my main question is what needs to be removed to get at the nuts...ie gauge cluster, lower dash pad...etc...thanks confused24.gif
Joe
tdgray
I'm getting ready to do this also.

Do a search for threads in the garage.. I found several good one.

Short and sweet it sounds like you have to remove the gauge cluster, the glovebox and maybe the heater controls.

Of course if your and idiot like me you'll try and try to get to the nuts without completely removing all this crap and in the end remove it anyway screwy.gif

Good luck... let us know.
McMark
The guage cluster just needs the mount screws removed so you can reach behind it. The vents on either end of the dash make nice access ports (if it's a later model car). The radio is in the way. That's all I can think of.
lapuwali
There's a recent thread in the Classic Threads section on this very topic. Much easier than searching...
joeav8tor
nice heads up on the classic thread advice, burned out my color cartridge on it though, better than getting grease on the laptop in the garage.
thanks
Joe
szuccaro
Joe... I just went thru this myself. Replaced the upper dash material (close to the windshield), the dash pad, and while I was at it the gauges too. I removed the gauges, lower dash pad, stereo and glove box. I didnt have to remove the heate controls. Besides making yourself into a pretzel, I used a small socket wrench and a elongated, angled socket wrench for the difficult nuts.

I was able to find and replace all the nuts, except the one right in front of me from the left (left gauge access hole). For the life of me I couldnt get that nut back on.

Be sure to label the wiring so you can easily connect up the gauges when done. Although i didnt need it, I had a wiring diagram ready.

Steve
szuccaro
The wiring diagram

szuccaro
I guess that didnt work well.
szuccaro
Here it is.
Rand
Remove dash top, step-by-step
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.