Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spacers for 4 lug where and safe?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
I'm wanting to put a wider tire on m 8" wheels. I have clearance on the outside of the fenders, but need more on the inside to fit a bigger tire.

A have a couple questions that I cant seem to answer through searches here.

First, who and the hell makes spacers for four lug now? Names, numbers and websites please.

Second, how wide can I go and still be safe for track/AX driving?

Aaron Cox
guy on ebay will make you 4 lug spacers or adapters that are hubcentric.
Joe Ricard
You keep hoppin up that teener with stickier / bigger tires you might wanna go with Studs from ARP 14mm 1.50 thread pitch

Mine are long enough to mount any of the factory alloys using close alloy lug nuts and then use open steel lugs for the race wheels. The piece of mind is priceless and studs are sooooo much easier to put wheels on.
STL914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 6 2006, 07:58 PM)
guy on ebay will make you 4 lug spacers or adapters that are hubcentric.

Here's a link to one of his eBay auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Whe...QrdZ1QQtcZphoto

Made from 6061T6 aluminum up to 2 inches thick
however you want them. Price is $140 for a set of four.
Andyrew
How thick?

If its like 1/4 in then you could get universal spacers and put longer studs in...

(and I realize that the 914 studs are screw in... but who says you cant drill and press long studs? or even buy some long stud bolts for it?)
hmeeder
I had the same issue.

DO NOT use screw in studs if you decide to AX the car. They just are plain old not safe. I ordered studs from this guy 14mm studs in various lengths and paid a local machine shop $35 to drill out the hubs and rotors and press the studs in.

I then got these spacers 1 inch spacers and I now have plenty of room on the inside. You can also get 1/4 inch spacers at, of all places, Pep Boys and use them in conjunction with the studs. For the rears I wish I had bought the 100mm studs. I got the 80s and with the thickness of the brake rotor and the thickness of the wheel itself, I just barely have enough stud thread for full engagement, but just barely.

Neither would I use any spacer larger than the 1/4 inch with lug bolts. I have no empirical evidence of my own, but I have been told it isn't safe. I'm willing to go with that.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (hmeeder @ Mar 6 2006, 09:25 PM)
I had the same issue.

DO NOT use screw in studs if you decide to AX the car. They just are plain old not safe. I ordered studs from this guy 14mm studs in various lengths and paid a local machine shop $35 to drill out the hubs and rotors and press the studs in.

I then got these spacers 1 inch spacers and I now have plenty of room on the inside. You can also get 1/4 inch spacers at, of all places, Pep Boys and use them in conjunction with the studs. For the rears I wish I had bought the 100mm studs. I got the 80s and with the thickness of the brake rotor and the thickness of the wheel itself, I just barely have enough stud thread for full engagement, but just barely.

Neither would I use any spacer larger than the 1/4 inch with lug bolts. I have no empirical evidence of my own, but I have been told it isn't safe. I'm willing to go with that.

herb,

lemme know if you got 100 studs.. ill take the 80's
hmeeder
AA

I haven't got the 100s. If I get them, I will definitely keep you in mind.

Got a couple of other things in my plate first! (tranny rebuild.)

grantsfo
So to do it right I need to have hubs drilled and buy studs. Ack! I'm probably better off just buying another set of wheels with proper offset.
Andyrew
You like holding the wheel while you tighten the bolts?

biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Grant, just trade me my diamond steelies 4.5" backspace for your Kiezers 5" backspace. beer.gif I'll cover shipping rolleyes.gif
Mueller
I had the same issue.

bs.gif

would people get some facts straight before posting BS "advice" like that headbang.gif

There is nothing wrong with the CORRECT type of screw-in studs.....For use with the billet hubs we recommend BBS Racing* screw-in studs, these are the proper material and heat treating to meet or exceed the OEM wheel bolts, these are not the cheap studs sold by CB Performance or "bug" shops.

In fact screw-in studs can better than the OEM bolt method from a mechanical point of view, the reason they have gotten a bad rap is due to the cheap @ss studs sold to the VW bug guys and due to improper installation.

*BBS Racing, in case you have not heard of this "small" company smile.gif

Grant, I recommend hubcentric spacers (at least for the front, kinda hard to do on the back and not as much of an issue), those shown in the link above scare me.....I don't have the time to make another set right now, but if you can find one of the places on eBay or wherever that can make you a set and need prints, let me know and I'll send you a drawing to pass on them.

user posted image
grantsfo
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 7 2006, 04:40 AM)
I had the same issue.

DO NOT use screw in studs if you decide to AX the car.  They just are plain old not safe.  I ordered studs from this guy 14mm studs in various lengths and paid a local machine shop $35 to drill out the hubs and rotors and press the studs in.

I then got these spacers 1 inch spacers and I now have plenty of room on the inside.  You can also get 1/4 inch spacers at, of all places, Pep Boys and use them in conjunction with the studs.  For the rears I wish I had bought the 100mm studs.  I got the 80s and with the thickness of the brake rotor and the thickness of the wheel itself, I just barely have enough stud thread for full engagement, but just barely.

Neither would I use any spacer larger than the 1/4 inch with lug bolts.  I have no empirical evidence of my own, but I have been told it isn't safe.  I'm willing to go with that.

bs.gif

would people get some facts straight before posting BS "advice" like that headbang.gif

There is nothing wrong with the CORRECT type of screw-in studs.....For use with the billet hubs we recommend BBS Racing* screw-in studs, these are the proper material and heat treating to meet or exceed the OEM wheel bolts, these are not the cheap studs sold by CB Performance or "bug" shops.

In fact screw-in studs can better than the OEM bolt method from a mechanical point of view, the reason they have gotten a bad rap is due to the cheap @ss studs sold to the VW bug guys and due to improper installation.

*BBS Racing, in case you have not heard of this "small" company smile.gif

Grant, I recommend hubcentric spacers (at least for the front, kinda hard to do on the back and not as much of an issue), those shown in the link above scare me.....I don't have the time to make another set right now, but if you can find one of the places on eBay or wherever that can make you a set and need prints, let me know and I'll send you a drawing to pass on them.

user posted image

Thanks! I appreciate your input. I'll let you know if I need drawings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.