Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ol' Yeller's gone now, look at Ol' Blue!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
elwood-914
Beautiful. I wish I could do that, but it would just be a dream. Thanks for the pics.
DanT
Looking very nice Tom.

Will be interested in seeing the engine install.

Is the motor a stock WRX or has the brain been chipped or the wastegate been shimmed?

biggrin.gif
carreraguy
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jun 23 2006, 08:17 PM) *

Looking very nice Tom.

Is the motor a stock WRX or has the brain been chipped or the wastegate been shimmed?

biggrin.gif

Thanks Dan.
Its a totally stock engine; not planning on messing with the brain/turbo until I get some miles under my belt. Renegade is estimating it at 250hp currently and that's plenty (for me anyway) for the time being. My neighbor knows of a Subie tuner I may be working with after a while. Since we're in the same neighborhood, we'll have to get together after I pick it up and you can check it out in detail. Felix is interested in checking it out closer too.
DanT
biggrin.gif boldblue.gif
Trevorg7
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Jun 23 2006, 08:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jun 23 2006, 08:17 PM) *

Looking very nice Tom.

biggrin.gif

Thanks Dan.
Its a totally stock engine; not planning on messing with the brain/turbo until I get some miles under my belt. Renegade is estimating it at 250hp currently and that's plenty (for me anyway) for the time being. My neighbor knows of a Subie tuner I may be working with after a while. Since we're in the same neighborhood, we'll have to get together after I pick it up and you can check it out in detail. Felix is interested in checking it out closer too.

Tom - Looks great, I cannot wait to see it in Almaden.

T
carreraguy
[/quote]

Tom - Looks great, I cannot wait to see it in Almaden.

T
[/quote]
Sure! All us Almaden Valley "homeys" will have to have a mini WCC! beerchug.gif
bosurf
Tom

If you don't mind my asking minus the purchase of the car, what is total cost to convert out the door from Renegade, I have seen the kit price not including labor. But total w/motor, labor the whole deal??? After watching the burnout video on Renegade's site, who wouldn't want that if they had the $$$. Maybe i could take a second out on the house,HEHE , idea.gif That is going to blow some minds. Get stock in a tire company. Have fun with it.

Dave
carreraguy
QUOTE(bosurf @ Jun 23 2006, 09:49 PM) *

Tom

If you don't mind my asking minus the purchase of the car, what is total cost to convert out the door from Renegade, I have seen the kit price not including labor. But total w/motor, labor the whole deal??? After watching the burnout video on Renegade's site, who wouldn't want that if they had the $$$. Maybe i could take a second out on the house,HEHE , idea.gif That is going to blow some minds. Get stock in a tire company. Have fun with it.

Dave

Hi Dave:
Grant asked the same question in an earlier post on this thread. Renegade is quoting $20K but that may go up/down based on the condition of the donor and "while you're in there" stuff. Mine cost a little more than that since I had the tranny rebuilt etc. Some, like Grant, think $20K is somewhat high but it works for a non-mechanic like me for the many reasons already enumerated in my responses to him above. For me, there is just something inescapable about the logic of a modern, somewhat lighter, higher horsepower engine in a classic, light, mid-engine platform. Definitely looking forward to getting my mitts on it!
Later,
neo914-6
Nice car Tom, nothing wrong with paying a fair price for a modern reliable powerplant in a unique car! I'm way way over that for my modern version...

Since I haven't found the RH V8 kit a "plug and play", having them install it is a smart thing. They can't complain about any miss-fits. laugh.gif J/K, I'll bet they developed a better kit for the Suby. Are those flares added or metal worked?
carreraguy
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Jul 1 2006, 10:58 AM) *

Nice car Tom, nothing wrong with paying a fair price for a modern reliable powerplant in a unique car! I'm way way over that for my modern version...

Since I haven't found the RH V8 kit a "plug and play", having them install it is a smart thing. They can't complain about any miss-fits. laugh.gif J/K, I'll bet they developed a better kit for the Suby. Are those flares added or metal worked?

Hi Felix!
The flares are metal worked; didn't need much for the 7's.
Later,
carreraguy
Well, 914AROO is finally home! Got back from Las Vegas about 12:30 this morning after an uneventful but hot ride. Picked it up on Friday and first stop was to the scales; weighed in at 2,260lbs, not bad at all! We had to take the "quick" shorter route via I-15 thru Bakersfield to I-5 because we were having too good of a time in LV and had to leave later than we intended. The car handled the 106+ degree heat exceptionally well! Never got above 180-185 and I was 75-80mph (or more occasionally) most of the way! It also handles like a dream; I feel in control at all times and the ride is not as rough as I was expecting. Felt more like a 911 than my old 914. The new driving position occasioned by the new seats, Momo wheel and Renegade billet hub definitely make the car more controllable in quick turns. Still getting used to quickly getting out of the shorter first gear to take more advantage of the higher revving engine; I'll get there. Renegade did a great job! BTW, I'm going to be one of Renegade's featured "booth" cars at the German AutoFest in Ventura, so you folks in SoCal are interested you can check it out there in person. I could blab on some more, but here's some pics; will post more on the blog site later tonight.
G e o r g e
man that looks great, see you in ventura beerchug.gif
DanT
Looks great Tom. biggrin.gif

Anxious to see it up close and personal... burnout.gif
elwood-914
Very nice. Radiator cut out looks very well done. I wish, I wish........sigh
Lou W
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Aug 7 2006, 09:29 PM) *

Looks great Tom. biggrin.gif

Anxious to see it up close and personal... burnout.gif

agree.gif thumb3d.gif
Demick
Tom

All I can say is.......WOW!

Demick
grantsfo
Very nice!
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 8 2006, 08:00 AM) *

Very nice!

Tom,

Why don't you bring that beauty to the Zone 7 AutoX at the Marina at the end of August. If your ready, we'd all love to see it run.

Going to be a great event. Two days and I'm designing the course.

TROJANMAN
Very Nice Tom!

Can't Wait to see it in Moab smile.gif

out of curiosity, did you get A/C installed?
carreraguy
QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 8 2006, 08:21 AM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 8 2006, 08:00 AM) *

Very nice!

Tom,

Why don't you bring that beauty to the Zone 7 AutoX at the Marina at the end of August. If your ready, we'd all love to see it run.

Going to be a great event. Two days and I'm designing the course.

Hi Randal;
Definitely planning on autocrossing it but I want to have the ECU gone over by a Suby tuner before I run it. Hopefully will be done in time to make the late August event and a few other Zone 7 events before the end of the year; I've done Candlestick a few times but I've always wanted to do Alameda.
Later,
carreraguy
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Aug 8 2006, 09:16 AM) *

out of curiosity, did you get A/C installed?

Hi Greg!
No A/C and after driving from LV, not sure if the Boss is up to the RRC since its a long drive with plenty of heat. Still thinking about it though.
Later,
TravisNeff
Tom the car looks great! Did you weight the car before you did the conversion by any chance? I would guess that you would be around 2150 or so for a stock 74
carreraguy
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Aug 8 2006, 12:31 PM) *

Tom the car looks great! Did you weight the car before you did the conversion by any chance? I would guess that you would be around 2150 or so for a stock 74

Damn! Good question - wish I thought of that! Since I wasn't planning on racing it, I was not focusing specifically on making a very light car and the car has a boatload of potential if I wanted to go in that direction. I was told by Renegade that the stock Suby engine is 20-25lbs lighter than the stock 914 2.0 engine but of course I would have to add back in the water, plumbing, radiator etc. but not sure that would all add up to a difference of 110lbs. I also removed the center console, front and rear bumper tits and the front valence is lighter because of the cutout, but 12psi of boost will make up for a fair amount of weight! biggrin.gif
Later,
carreraguy
Thanks for all compliments! Renegade Hybrids and John's paint shop in Vegas deserve most of the credit for sure!
Got it registered at the DMV today - no issues at all. Some San Jose non-Club folk are coming to my place this coming Thursday evening to check it out; any other locals interested PM me for details. I'm planning on having it in the Porsche corral at the Monterey "Concorso Italiano" a week from Friday during Historics week; should be fun!
TonyAKAVW
Very nice! Can't wait to see it in Ventura! Hopefully I'll be going there in my porscharu too. (getting very close)

-Tony
carreraguy
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Aug 8 2006, 07:34 PM) *

Very nice! Can't wait to see it in Ventura! Hopefully I'll be going there in my porscharu too. (getting very close)

-Tony

Great! Looking forward to seeing your car too! Lots of Subie 914 conversions - that makes at least 5 that I can think of that will be at GAF!
Trevorg7
Tom - Looks great, congrats. I'll PM you if I can pull of Thursday.

If not I'll drive by someother time.

T
carreraguy
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Aug 8 2006, 09:16 PM) *

Tom - Looks great, congrats. I'll PM you if I can pull of Thursday.

If not I'll drive by someother time.

T

Great Trevor - sorry, I forgot to contact you, PM anytime for a meet, but I'll be in traffic school all day Saturday - don't ask!
Later,
neo914-6
Tom,

There are at least three of us planning to be there ~7:30: me, Jon, and Jason. Jon is bringing tools so don't let him out of your sight! laugh.gif

ffranktly
Just Gorgeous!!.... Gulf Blue is ridiculously Beautiful!!...
96conv
What a beaut!
elwood-914
Thanks Tom dry.gif , because of you and your car.......I just ordered conversion parts, a EJ20T motor and a computer management system......now just looking into a motor mount......is the one from Renegade really nice?........Just a thank you.......your car is very sweet......now my house will never get done......but you know what they say...................."who cares" beer.gif
Mike431635
Elwood, hate to squash your enthusiasm, but you're going to need a little bit more than the motor mount. I'm working with Ed down in Tampa, FL on his WRX-powered 914 and can't begin to tell you how many parts you're going to need from Renegade to get the job done, not to mention the wiring (won't go there). Oh, and the radiator, etc, etc, etc.

I'm typing this while the computer sits in the trunk and Ed is mounting the electronics in the trunk now, and just looking at the car I can't begin to tell you how difficult this stuff would have been without Renegade's kit.

http://community.webshots.com/user/fat73
edwardb33
Very nice
Kostamojen
Just saw your thread over on I-club, figured I'd post here about it smile.gif

Congrats on the car! Thats definatly one of the cleanest subaru-914 swaps around!

For tuners around San Jose, i'd definatly go to Gruppe-S or hook up with EQ Tuning on I-club. They have great reputations in the Subaru community and know a thing or two about working with Subaru ECU's smile.gif

$20k does seem a tad pricey to me, but if it includes alot of the custom work you mentioned like the suspension, seats, etc. it can add up. There are cheaper options if you wanted to do a 200hp+ Subaru swap in a 914, and some shops that could work with the wiring too (Getting that motor to run in a 914 without smog requirements is probably easier than swapping to different body style subaru and keeping it smog legal, which is what alot of the subaru shops work on) but you still need some of the physical parts like the motor mounts, radiator setup, etc. that will add up.

Anyway, congrats on the car and enjoy it...

Whatever you do, YOU CAN NOT WRECK IT! tongue.gif Its too awesome! biggrin.gif
elwood-914
QUOTE(Mike431635 @ Aug 9 2006, 07:29 PM) *

Elwood, hate to squash your enthusiasm, but you're going to need a little bit more than the motor mount. I'm working with Ed down in Tampa, FL on his WRX-powered 914 and can't begin to tell you how many parts you're going to need from Renegade to get the job done, not to mention the wiring (won't go there). Oh, and the radiator, etc, etc, etc.

I'm typing this while the computer sits in the trunk and Ed is mounting the electronics in the trunk now, and just looking at the car I can't begin to tell you how difficult this stuff would have been without Renegade's kit.

http://community.webshots.com/user/fat73

Hi Mike, I realize that I will need more stuff from Renegade. I do like the radiator setup and the radiator cutout they did on Tom's car. I have ordered a EJ20T with a computer management system installed. He is test running it before he ships it to me. I probably will order a lot more stuff next week but I have to get my car to the body shop first.....don't ask. headbang.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Aug 8 2006, 11:52 PM) *

Tom,

There are at least three of us planning to be there ~7:30: me, Jon, and Jason. Jon is bringing tools so don't let him out of your sight! laugh.gif

Thursday won't work unless Tom was willing to leave the keys to the car... idea.gif

We'll reschedule for possibly Fri or Sat evening...
McMark
Sat works better for me. biggrin.gif Let me know ASAP so I can plan.
Rand
hijacked.gif
Hey admins... Any word on the non IE browser glitches? Firefox rules, but this is one of those threads that I have to go back to IE just to read because the glitches hide half the replies when viewed in non-IE browsers. Grrr.

Crap, I ain't complaining. Really. Just encountered this and puked a response.
Sorry.

FWIW, I would be willing to help work on a solution.
carreraguy
QUOTE(Kostamojen @ Aug 9 2006, 09:03 PM) *

Just saw your thread over on I-club, figured I'd post here about it smile.gif

Congrats on the car! Thats definatly one of the cleanest subaru-914 swaps around!

For tuners around San Jose, i'd definatly go to Gruppe-S or hook up with EQ Tuning on I-club. They have great reputations in the Subaru community and know a thing or two about working with Subaru ECU's smile.gif

$20k does seem a tad pricey to me, but if it includes alot of the custom work you mentioned like the suspension, seats, etc. it can add up. There are cheaper options if you wanted to do a 200hp+ Subaru swap in a 914, and some shops that could work with the wiring too (Getting that motor to run in a 914 without smog requirements is probably easier than swapping to different body style subaru and keeping it smog legal, which is what alot of the subaru shops work on) but you still need some of the physical parts like the motor mounts, radiator setup, etc. that will add up.

Anyway, congrats on the car and enjoy it...

Whatever you do, YOU CAN NOT WRECK IT! tongue.gif Its too awesome! biggrin.gif

Thanks for the input K-man! Yep, it does all add up! We're talking to Ed at EQ now; he seems to be very knowledgeable.

(Self hijack coming)
Isn't "db Tuned" in Roseville? Please PM to let me know do you think of them.
Thanks,
grantsfo
I had an opportunity to see Tom's car for the first time at the GGR AX this weekend. Just had to post and say this is one of the cleanest Subi conversions I have seen. The car is beautiful and a real sleeper. Anyone considering engine options should definitely think about a Subaru conversion. These engines really fit the 914 character nicely.

This is a 914 that any car nut would be proud to have in their garage.
carreraguy
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 29 2006, 04:52 PM) *

I had an opportunity to see Tom's car for the first time at the GGR AX this weekend. Just had to post and say this is one of the cleanest Subi conversions I have seen. The car is beautiful and a real sleeper. Anyone considering engine options should definitely think about a Subaru conversion. These engines really fit the 914 character nicely.

This is a 914 that any car nut would be proud to have in their garage.

Hi Grant:
Thanks for the "props". It was great meeting many of the Club's NorCal autox crowd (you, Dan, Andrew, Trekkor and others) yesterday and I'm sure I'll see you guys at the autox season in 2007. Dan designed a great course and I drove like crap but I can't blame it on the car for sure - it really pulled! biggrin.gif
Later,

Edit - just got this video from my son: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbYVyBl8wu4...ted&search=
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.