Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ol' Yeller's gone now, look at Ol' Blue!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
carreraguy
Here's my replacement; starting on the Suby swap soon. The 2.0 engine with Delorto carbs may already be spoken for! Stay tuned Suby fans!
Andyrew
Interesting wheels..

I think those are the "honeycomb" one's..
skline
Yes, those are very interesting wheels. I dont think I have ever seen a set like those before. What kind are they?

Looks like a nice start for your project too, keep us posted as you go.
MecGen
Olympic Blue nice color and CAR

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Later
beer.gif

drewvw

sweet ride
Ferg
very nice! and great color. More details, looks to be a very clean car.

Ferg. clap56.gif
Aaron Cox
yup. what they said.. wierd wheels. find out what they are and post it smile.gif
Allan
Nice looking car.

My wifes favorite color... biggrin.gif
mrdezyne
Yeah! Another Olympic Suby swap! Keep us posted. If you need any help holla.
Carl
Looks good, Tom. I think you're going to have fun with this.
Root_Werks
Nice score! smilie_pokal.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 7 2006, 02:24 AM)
Interesting wheels..

I think those are the "honeycomb" one's..

ummmm, Andrew...."honeycomb" is a description, not a type or brand...there are a few hundred "honeycomb" rims out there smile.gif

looks good Tom, keep us posted on the progress !!!!
Andyrew
Oh I know mike...

I was just pointing out an observation.. I remember the Pelican article on wheels had some that looked like those..
Mueller
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 7 2006, 02:39 PM)
Oh I know mike...

I was just pointing out an observation.. I remember the Pelican article on wheels had some that looked like those..

they almost look like Ronal 3-piece racing wheels...mag. center with spun outer halfs....some of the BBS spun outer halves work with the Ronal rims.
carreraguy
More info on the car.

Its an original paint, two owner car with about 83K miles; very stock except for the wheels. Note the holes in the rear deck lid; PO removed the luggage rack. I'll likely plug and repaint but haven't totally made up my mind on that yet.

Re: the wheels, the PO told me they are rare 14 inch "Gotti" two-piece wheels and very lightweight; never heard of them before. I googled them but saw nothing in four bolt or 14 inch; my guess is they are from the 80's. May have some racing application on the right car in 4x100 but look small on the Teener to my eye. I will be replacing them with 911 Fuchs, size TBD; likely 6/7x16 on 205/55 and 225/50 if I can get the rears to fit without body mods. If not, will possibly go to 6x16 all around or maybe 7/8x15 (if it doesn't break the bank). Also planning on 911SC front end and associated suspension/brake/steering mods.
carreraguy
Engine was pulled yesterday - install WRX engine soon (hopefully)!
carreraguy
Front end work.
carreraguy
Radiator grill on a 914? You bet!
PatW
QUOTE (carreraguy @ Mar 7 2006, 01:04 AM)
Here's my replacement; starting on the Suby swap soon. The 2.0 engine with Solex carbs may already be spoken for! Stay tuned Suby fans!

Nice car. I'm going to look you up when Its time to find another 914 biggrin.gif
lotus_65
looks really clean, was there something wrong with that car? i guess i just wonder about cutting a nice specimin as opposed to finding a marginal one to chop and gut.
BigDBass
QUOTE (lotus_65 @ Mar 22 2006, 06:19 AM)
looks really clean, was there something wrong with that car? i guess i just wonder about cutting a nice specimin as opposed to finding a marginal one to chop and gut.

What we in the midwest would consider a nice specimen driving.gif often seems to be a chop-up candidate sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif to our Californian friends! laugh.gif
lotus_65
QUOTE (BigDBass @ Mar 22 2006, 09:10 AM)

What we in the midwest would consider a nice specimen driving.gif often seems to be a chop-up candidate sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif to our Californian friends! laugh.gif

Oh, definitely. I'm for SURE goin' to cali for my next car!

What does a car like that set you back, carreraguy?
nomore9one4
That project is moving right along. clap56.gif Probably driving.gif very soon.
carreraguy
QUOTE (lotus_65 @ Mar 22 2006, 06:59 AM)

What does a car like that set you back, carreraguy?

Nothing wrong with the car for sure. My ideal donor candidate going in was a rust free, no accident, good tranny, decent interior, nice paint car. (Not asking a lot right?). Luckily I was able to find it; a very clean, two owner AZ/NV 83K mile car. If I went for a beater for the swap it would have cost way more in the long run for obvious reasons. I was looking for months but for some reason all the likekly candidates (and many not as nice as I found) were being snapped up almost immediately. I'll admit, I did have some hesitation re: cutting up a nice car but considering the cost involved, I wanted to start with an issue-free platform and thats what it took (and I did pay a premium for that).

As far as cost, check out the Renegade site - it'll give you an idea.
lotus_65
yea, i see the delema with rust repair/paint issues/etc. when doing work like this. the additional labor would impact the cost of the project. i thought about that after i posted, and the cost vs devaluation ratio is a personal decision, which we can disagree on. all the same, good luck with the project! i hope it works out really great.

btw, i didn't want to know what it'll cost you in the end (i hope i have more class than that)! i was more interested in the local cost of the 2.0 that you're using as a donor, but you don't have to say.

smile.gif good times~
carreraguy
Lotus:
Sorry - I misinterpreted "a car like this" as referring to the final finished product.

As to the purchase price of the donor, suffice to say I paid over market value for a very nice '74 2.0. I'll gladly defer to other experts who buy and sell teeners more often than me, but to my mind a car like this should go for around $6-7K tops (in CA anyway). What do you think I should have paid for it? The beauty of it was that it was local to Renegade (no shipping cost) and I will be able to recoup some $$ for the original 2.0 engine, Gotti wheels and center console.

Thanks for your good wishes - will post more pics as they come. smile.gif

Later
Mueller
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Mar 22 2006, 05:19 AM)

can you please explain the "chop and gut"???

why is it so acceptable to cut the front trunk on an aircooled /4 or /6 to install a bigger oil cooler?? screwy.gif

it's a reversable modification if one so desires.....

Nice to see progress Tom smilie_pokal.gif

Have you had to sign any legal documents from Scott saying that you will not let anyone look at or take pictures of the engine mount/special brackets?? biggrin.gif
carreraguy
[quote=Mueller,Mar 22 2006, 08:45 PM] [/QUOTE]
Have you had to sign any legal documents from Scott saying that you will not let anyone look at or take pictures of the engine mount/special brackets?? biggrin.gif [/quote]
Not yet Mike; I expect the competition is pretty tight so I wouldn't be too surprised if I got that request eventually. Unless they request otherwise, I assume any pics I get from them are okay to distribute to the public; after all, it is good publicity for the righteous dudes at Renegade. biggrin.gif
DanT
This is looking very nice Tom.

Nice starter chassis. You bought it....do what you want with it. The midwesterners and east coasters are just a wee bit envious. wink.gif
lotus_65
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Mar 23 2006, 01:14 AM)
This is looking very nice Tom.

Nice starter chassis.  You bought it....do what you want with it.  The midwesterners and east coasters are just a wee bit envious. wink.gif

agree.gif
you got it toyota! it's a rusty brownish color of green i am. not just for the cars, but about now this cold and snow starts really getting old... i'll shut up before i get in anymore trouble!
rock on
grantsfo
Nice car! Looks like the perfect chassis to start a project.

Here is its 1.8 twin that I used as a starter chassis for my race car project. Car had 38,000 original miles when I bought mine - all original paint, interior etc. I drove it for 3-4 years in stock condition, then started to tear it apart.

user posted image

It had original carpets and coco mats too.

user posted image
carreraguy
People asked for more pics when available - attached are some new pics of the conversion. Coming together at Renegade; they fired up the engine yesterday - purred like a lion. Can't wait to get my paws on this one. Hopefully it will be ready time for WCC06!
cbenitah
QUOTE(carreraguy @ May 9 2006, 10:47 PM) *

People asked for more pics when available - attached are some new pics of the conversion. Coming together at Renegade; they fired up the engine yesterday - purred like a lion. Can't wait to get my paws on this one. Hopefully it will be ready time for WCC06!

would you mind sharing the price tag for letting renegade do the conversion? I have tried to search for it and when I emailed they said $20K which I think is bs.gif
Thanks

Looking great!
carreraguy
[/quote]

would you mind sharing the price tag for letting renegade do the conversion? I have tried to search for it and when I emailed they said $20K which I think is bs.gif
Thanks

Looking great!
[/quote]

Thanks! The price they quoted is indeed in the ballpark - why would they tell you otherwise?

You may call it BS but it penciled out for me. I wanted a 914 with more horsepower, thus I was looking for a 914/6 or a 914/6 conversion. A 914/6 in good condition with a 30 year old engine would cost a minimum of $20K and still have some issues. A 914/6 conversion with 260HP (what I can get from the 2.0 WRX turbo) would cost about $35K complete turn key with a brake/handling upgrade and the weight difference would be about 150 pounds heavier. So, I would need another 75 hp (approx) to overcome the additional weight and match the straight line acceleration. Add another $5K to the final bill for the needed bump in hp, so then you're up to $40K. Then, because you wouldn't corner as well due to the extra weight, you would need to add another $5K to get more hp out of the Porsche motor to overcome the slower cornering speed. So then you are up to $45,000.

Bottom line, I'm getting a lighter, better handlling car whose performance will be better than a 914/6 with a very reliable and more modern powerplant; i.e. I will not be relying on a 30 year old engine that will likely cause more maintenance $$ downstream. On top of all that I'll get better mileage! Granted I'm loosing the panache of having a "pure" 914 but I'm not planning on doing PCA events for points; i.e. "fun runs" only at the autox, that s fine with me. I'll just have a NARP that'll be NARPier than yours - a double NARP!

Should have 914AROO by mid-June; we can compare notes at the WCC! biggrin.gif
carreraguy
Just back from a visit to the "work in progress" at Renegade Hybrids; all I can say is WOW! Gobs of torque; approx 240-250hp according to Dana at Renegade! Driving position with the smaller Momo wheel and billet steering wheel hub/adapter is great! I freely admit this will take some practice on my part but I'm definitely looking forward to taming the beast; obviously, throttle/brake control when unbalanced will be key. I only got it up to 4th gear since we're still breaking it in. Will also take some adjustment on my part to get used to the clutch and shifter/tranny feel - way different than Ol 'Yeller! Attached are some new pics; note the differences from the first few pics in this thread. Still trying to get it all done in time for WCC but no firm committment possible at this stage.
So.Cal.914
Nice ride. It does look like a slick install, if I was not such a hard core, bust my

knuckles on German metal, drop all rice burners into the camen trench kind of guy,

I would probably do the same thing. Have fun and stay safe.

smoke.gif
96conv
Can't wait to see the install in person. Looks great!
grantsfo
[quote name='carreraguy' date='May 17 2006, 12:33 AM' post='681361']
[/quote]

Thanks

Looking great!
[/quote]

Thanks! The price they quoted is indeed in the ballpark - why would they tell you otherwise?

You may call it BS but it penciled out for me. I wanted a 914 with more horsepower, thus I was looking for a 914/6 or a 914/6 conversion. A 914/6 in good condition with a 30 year old engine would cost a minimum of $20K and still have some issues. A 914/6 conversion with 260HP (what I can get from the 2.0 WRX turbo) would cost about $35K complete turn key with a brake/handling upgrade and the weight difference would be about 150 pounds heavier. So, I would need another 75 hp (approx) to overcome the additional weight and match the straight line acceleration. Add another $5K to the final bill for the needed bump in hp, so then you're up to $40K. Then, because you wouldn't corner as well due to the extra weight, you would need to add another $5K to get more hp out of the Porsche motor to overcome the slower cornering speed. So then you are up to $45,000.

Bottom line, I'm getting a lighter, better handlling car whose performance will be better than a 914/6 with a very reliable and more modern powerplant; i.e. I will not be relying on a 30 year old engine that will likely cause more maintenance $$ downstream. On top of all that I'll get better mileage! Granted I'm loosing the panache of having a "pure" 914 but I'm not planning on doing PCA events for points; i.e. "fun runs" only at the autox, that s fine with me. I'll just have a NARP that'll be NARPier than yours - a double NARP!

Should have 914AROO by mid-June; we can compare notes at the WCC! biggrin.gif

[/quote]

Great work looks very nice. I am curious about weight advantage over six. When you factor in intercooler, turbo plumbing, radiator plumbing and water, conversion plate does the subaru engine conversion beat six weight by 150 lbs?
carreraguy
[/quote]
Great work looks very nice. I am curious about weight advantage over six. When you factor in intercooler, turbo plumbing, radiator plumbing and water, conversion plate does the subaru engine conversion beat six weight by 150 lbs?
[/quote]

Good question and I had those thoughts too early on when I was loking at the Porsche 6 conversion route. A lot of it has to do with assumptions. Comparing a Subaru 2.0 liter WRX turbo (2.0T) engine ONLY to a Porsche 914 2.0 engine ONLY, the 2.0T engine is around 10 lbs lighter. Comparing an installed Porsche 6 conversion (with 12 quarts of oil) to an installed 2.0T with all the plumbing/intercooler/water, the 2.0T is still about 60-70 lbs lighter. So you are correct, the 150 lb figure can be somewhat misleading once you factor in all the associated components. The main point I was trying to make is that a 2.0T conversion is lighter than a Porsche 6 conversion and it would cost even more $$ to try to modify the Porsche engine to attempt to regain the HP lost due to that 60-70 lb weight difference. Additonally, from a handling/weight & balance viewpoint, the Subie engine is a little farther forward than the Porsche engine and that can only help. I am reasonably sure there are those who would disclaim some points I made re: setup etc., but bottom line, its "whatever floats your boat" biggrin.gif
majkos
"Touche!!"

I am Kevin O'Shea, from the clan of "O'Shea!"

Keep up the good work,I love the WRX!
carreraguy
Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1EN8-SC7VM
MoveQik
Uhhhh...yeahhhh. That thing sounds mean!
Midtowner
Geeez, Tom! That thing sounds wicked! clap56.gif
banksyinoz
neat looking car, im impressed even my wife had a positive comment (and she doesnt even like porsches), you have done very well for the money im in for 25k and not yet finished, maybe add 15k, hope that your very happy with the outcome i know i would be
carreraguy
QUOTE(banksyinoz @ May 27 2006, 04:03 PM) *

neat looking car, im impressed even my wife had a positive comment (and she doesnt even like porsches), you have done very well for the money im in for 25k and not yet finished, maybe add 15k, hope that your very happy with the outcome i know i would be

Thanks! Some coincidence; my wife really likes the color too! I like the color because it is reminiscent of the Gulf Blue in the 917! Maybe I'll add to some orange accents somewhere! biggrin.gif
96conv
Too bad you're not driving this car to the PH swapmeet. Would've loved to see it in person. You'd have a crowd gathered around your car for sure.
carreraguy
QUOTE(96conv @ May 31 2006, 11:32 PM) *

Too bad you're not driving this car to the PH swapmeet. Would've loved to see it in person. You'd have a crowd gathered around your car for sure.

Thanks. Yep, I'd like to have it for the PH swapmeet too and especially for WCC06 but that may not be in the cards either since I want to drive it locally for a while to "break it in" and tweak it where it needs tweaking before I was to make the drive up to God's country. It now appears I won't be able to make it to WCC considering today was the last day to get in registrations and as much as I'd like to go it wouldn't be the same without a 914 of some sort to drive.

I will DEFINITELY have it for the Ventura German AutoFest in September and the 914 ramble at T'hill in October!
Porsche Rescue
Don't give up yet Tom. The deadline has been extended to June 21.
carreraguy
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jun 1 2006, 08:46 AM) *

Don't give up yet Tom. The deadline has been extended to June 21.

Great! There's still a chance then! I'm trying to get it done by 6/22 but there is no guarantee this far out.
carreraguy
Just an update for those who have been asking questions on the status of my conversion.

The 914aru just got out of repaint last week; some new pics attached. Pics are also on my blog which also has some pic comments and a fairly comprehensive build list for those interested. The car should be ready for delivery by mid-July; sure will miss taking it to WCC! sad.gif Hope you all take a lot of pictures for those who could not attend!

PS Looking for ideas for some Gulf orange highlights to go along with the almost Gulf blue paint. Anyone with ideas chime in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.