Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lone Pine autocross
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
TonyAKAVW
The annual Lone Pine Time Trials are coming up the weekend of May 20-21st. Located at an abandond air strip in Lone Pine (off highway 395), the course is 2 miles long!

Registration fees are $50. More information and registration forms can be found here:

Lone Pine Autocross

Send me a PM or jsut post a message saying "I'm going" and I will add your name to the list of people expected to be going. Also include whether you plan to camp on the track or if you are staying at a hotel.

Here's the List so far:
(updated May 6, 10:21 pm)

Tony (TonyAKAVW) spectating
Joe Sharp camping
Mike D. camping?
Slits camping
Toast camping
David (Pistachio) spectating
Howard
Aaron
Allan (Headrage) Saturady only
drew365

-Tony
Pistachio
I'll be there - I live in LP. lol...

Just sold my 5.0, so no car to run this year, but I'll pop up there to watch/help just the same.

Great time. Depending on how it's laid out, Manzanar can be very fast! mueba.gif
Porcharu
Lone pine is alot of fun.
When I first went in about 90' or so some one had an old trans am racer that was clocked at 160mph on one of the straights. I only got up to 120 or so and then my front brakes cought on fire at the end of the run. driving.gif
We used to have some great bonfires (and midnight shotgun fun) piratenanner.gif
Howard
My kind of event. I'm in. Burning man with car theme?? smilie_pokal.gif
Aaron Cox
i wonder how far it is? looks like a freaking blast! cheap too! 50 bucks for 2 days with t shirt? uh... color me theer batman.

get 5 cars together and you have your own class!!!

gawd - i will try to make this one!!!
Howard
Paging Joe Sharp!!!! Need you and the tequilamobile! jsharp.gif There's a nice little golf course there, too.

AA, ever hear of Mapquest? poke.gif
Aaron Cox
aye! 5 hrs smile.gif ill see if the uncle wants to tow up and co drive smile.gif
Porcharu
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 8 2006, 12:21 PM)
i wonder how far it is? looks like a freaking blast! cheap too! 50 bucks for 2 days with t shirt? uh... color me theer batman.

Don't get busted on 395 (or 14 I forget) one of our sports car club members (the other Cal Poly) got arrested on the way to lone pine (he was only going 140 or so)

Make sure to cruise up to 'onion valley' while your up there - very cool little side trip and about 30 degrees cooler (9000 ft) than lone pine.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Porcharu @ Mar 8 2006, 01:31 PM)

Don't get busted on 395 (or 14 I forget) one of our sports car club members (the other Cal Poly) got arrested on the way to lone pine (he was only going 140 or so)

Make sure to cruise up to 'onion valley' while your up there - very cool little side trip and about 30 degrees cooler (9000 ft) than lone pine.

whats the elevation of lone pine?
Allan
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 8 2006, 12:36 PM)

Looks like just over 3700 feet.
Howard
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 8 2006, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 8 2006, 12:36 PM)

Looks like just over 3700 feet.

Bring extra jets biggrin.gif

Allan, you gotta be in this. Nice cruise thru Bodfish beer.gif

Comfort Inn (CA786)
1920 South Main Street , Lone Pine, CA, US, 93545
Phone: (760) 876-8700 Fax: (760) 876-8704

Special deal $79.95 for 914 club non members, ask for Christy.

Mike D.
Oh, this looks like fun. smile.gif I'm putting it on my Calender right now...
Allan
I might be able to make it. The wife is scheduled to fly into L.A. from Turkey on the 22nd.
TonyAKAVW
Okay looks like at least a few people will be going. So here's the list of things I need to doto finish my conversion:

Finish the cable shifter and buy some cables
Purchase and install clutch, flywheel, release bearing, etc.
Bolt the transmission and clutch together
Install starter
Finish the radiator mount, (95% complete)
Remove old engine and transmission and shifter stuff
Remove engine bay tin and clean up.
Install radiator frame, radiator and fans
Install electronics box in place of stock relay board and rewire
Put cable shifter into car
Install the Subaru ECU, wiring
Wire the ECU and electricals into the body harness
Install the drivetrain
Have engine mount points welded onto the longitudinals
Hook up all the cables, hoses, and wiring
Build an exhaust
Modify the bumper for bumper-exhausts
Install a different tach
Get an alignment, maybe new front tires

So the question is, can I finish all that by May 20th?

-Tony
Aaron Cox
my list -

convince uncle to co-drive so he will split costs and tow my car up laugh.gif
bring weber jets tongue.gif
and uh....
get the car aligned and corner balanced and....
Aaron Cox
do our cars classify as "open" if so... we need roll bars....

with seat cushion out, and top on... i cant move my head with a helmet laugh.gif

looks like way too much fun
user posted image
drew365

I made it from Bishop to San Fernando Valley in 3hrs 10 min. in my Ferrari including one gas stop. I admit I won't be doing that again, but Lone Pine shouldn't be more than 3 hours at a leisurly cruise. Is there anywhere to stay in Lone Pine? Independance has some motels but Lone Pine is pretty desolate. Or am I mixing those two towns up?
914helo
Take a few minutes to look around at the history there. Manzanar was an internment camp in WWII. They picked a good place to be isolated...
Porcharu
Just a note for the new guys - its rough and bumpy. If you run carbs bring smaller jets. It can get real windy and sandy too. Definatly make up a 914 non-club class.
Last time I went I just camped near the pits, it's free.

I wonder if the old guy that pissed in the LA aquaduct every day is still there? He was a hoot. mueba.gif
Howard
QUOTE (drew365 @ Mar 8 2006, 06:05 PM)

I made it from Bishop to San Fernando Valley in 3hrs 10 min. in my Ferrari including one gas stop. I admit I won't be doing that again, but Lone Pine shouldn't be more than 3 hours at a leisurly cruise. Is there anywhere to stay in Lone Pine? Independance has some motels but Lone Pine is pretty desolate. Or am I mixing those two towns up?

Ya got 'em backwards, Andy. Lone pine is the 'big city', I think 6 motels. Damn, my best time from Van Nuys to Bishop was 3:15 with one gas stop. But I was in a 924, so there should be some adjustment biggrin.gif
I posted this at the X1/9 club, too. Good golf course there.
Pistachio
QUOTE (Howard @ Mar 8 2006, 09:25 PM)
QUOTE (drew365 @ Mar 8 2006, 06:05 PM)

Ya got 'em backwards, Andy. Lone pine is the 'big city', I think 6 motels. Damn, my best time from Van Nuys to Bishop was 3:15 with one gas stop. But I was in a 924, so there should be some adjustment biggrin.gif
I posted this at the X1/9 club, too. Good golf course there.

Yes - LP's the "big city" lol... we have a stoplight on 395! Indy's only got a flashing caution light. lol...

Gee, with all you SoCal guys coming up here - I think you should drag one of those straight, rust free, 914's that litter every street corner down there along for me to have!

"& I will hold it, & pet it, & hug it ,& squeeze it, & I will call it george..."
& I will make it very, very quick...
& I will paint it green!

The golf course is only 9 holes, don't get too excited. But you can play a round & still have the whole day. Cheap green fee's too - 9 holes, no waiting. lol...

As far as places to stay:
-the Comfort Inn's the newest place
-the Best Western Frontier's "new" wing definatley has the nicest rooms (very large with sitting area's & in room jaccuzzis etc - specially constructed to house the film crews from "hollywood" when they're here filming commercials/movies) My next door neighbor owns the place, if you're interested I'll see if I can get a "deal" - probably not (big weekend, town will be full) but you never know.
-the Mt Whitney if you can get into the annex portion
-the Dow Villa (the motel, not the hotel side, although that has a certain...charm to it lol...)
-& there's a new motel across the street from the Dow that's under constuction & just finishing their rooms now, but I have no idea when they intend to open.
-& of course there's lots of camping in the area for people of that persuasion. It's my understanding that the guys who tow up and camp at "the track" get pretty rowdy on sat. nite - funny thing, you can sure tell who partied & who didn't by their times on Sunday. BUT, there's alot of much nicer places to camp if that's your thing - makes for a cheaper weekend too.

-For those looking to motel it, I'd suggest getting reservations as soon as possible - we've got a multi million dollar dust control project going on here & alot of the temp crews are in the motels. It's hit or miss as to wether they're here or not - but when they are, it makes slim pickings even smaller & you really don't want to stay in Independence if you can help it

There are other places to stay in town which are "ok", the aboves just my recomendations FWIW.

Now... where's my 914! driving.gif
drew365
Sounds like a dinner at the Pizza Factory (We toss 'em, they're awsome) is in order.
Howard
Best Western sold out, a few rooms at Dow, good availability at Comfort, but this town fills up in the spring.
Mike D.
Sounds like a good time to break out the Jayco and just stay in the pits...

Brando
Put in for the vacation days, w00p!

Trying to get the family to go... Yeah, 911s, but oh well.
Allan
I'm in!!!!!!!! boldblue.gif

Gonna send the papers and funds today...
TonyAKAVW
Gonna send the papers and funds today...

Cool! This is giving me a lot of incentive to get my Subaru conversion done. Question is, can I do the swap in one month? I'm certainly going to try. It looks like I may be able to get the swap started this weekend.

-Tony
Allan
QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Apr 4 2006, 01:52 PM)
Question is, can I do the swap in one month? I'm certainly going to try. It looks like I may be able to get the swap started this weekend.

-Tony

Get er done....
Howard
Now that I am a small winky 911 guy (and too good for you people) I posted this at PP, too. Should be a fun weekend. See all y'all there.
Dave-O
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 8 2006, 04:55 PM)
do our cars classify as "open" if so... we need roll bars....

Aaron, as per SCCA rules

12.6 OPEN AND CLOSED CARS
A. An open car is a convertible (with or without a full windshield), a
targa-top-type car with less than a full windshield, or a t-top-type
car with less than a full windshield.
B. A closed car is one with a full roof, a targa top-type car with a
full windshield, or a t-top type car with a full windshield.

I had to look it up, I always thought our cars were considered open for some reason. unsure.gif
Aaron Cox
cool.. so we are ok?

ill be sendin in the papers soon
Allan
I just got around to filling out the registration form but have a question. It asks for Club/Sponsor (none I assume), Class, Car Number Desired and Work preference, timing, grid. Also modifications for class determination. I guess on the modifications I need to put the motor swap but I have no idea about the rest.

Any advise?
Brando
QUOTE (Headrage @ Apr 5 2006, 02:31 PM)
I just got around to filling out the registration form but have a question. It asks for Club/Sponsor (none I assume), Class, Car Number Desired and Work preference, timing, grid. Also modifications for class determination. I guess on the modifications I need to put the motor swap but I have no idea about the rest.

Any advise?

Wouldn't it be 914 club?
Allan
QUOTE (Brando @ Apr 5 2006, 06:25 PM)
Wouldn't it be 914 club?

I don't know how that works being that we are officially a non-club.

Andy?
SLITS
No problem....think about it.....you're a non-member of a non-club...you don't exist, so you leave everything blank.
Pistachio
Club affiliation's mearly an info entry unless you run with these guys all year - in which case it'd go to year end awards (assuming they still do that). If you want to list yourself as a "non-member of the non-914club", on the results mailer, for example, you'll be listed something like-
ASP ~ Joe Blow ~ '72 914 ~ non-member of the non-914club ~ 2:37:04 +1 / 2:26:59....

As for classification, they must have grown a pity bone, 'cause car classification is usually your responsibility. Like most places they might point you in the "right" direction, but it's really your responsibility to decide your cars legal for S, or SP, or really should be P, or Mod, or ...? People usually couldn't care less what class you run in until you start beating their times, then the points chasers will be over-n-under-n-around your car in a heartbeat. (& whinning about it too unsure.gif )

Making an semi-informed choice shouldn't be too hard for ya
Classes listed are per 2006 SCCA  Solo II rules and CSCC Supp Regs (Includes Cal Street Mod, Stock Tire, Sport Truck, but not Novice.)

SCCA Solo II Rules '06

No idea what the CSCC supp's are, but I'm sure they're mearly extra classes -Cal Street Mod etc.. Based on that, you're probably not going to be real competitive in a club class, because the home club's going to have a "bunch" of people with cars that are optimized for a club class. So, IMO, you should be able to quickly filter into what SCCA class you "should" be in. I've no idea about your car & mods, but since you don't know where you belong it's a fair assumption that you're not "Stock", so ...I'd guess more than likely ASP, but God help you if you actually fall into Prepared.

JMO

& you can always change you classification at Tech.
Pre-classing your car just helps the club with pre-planning run & work groups, it's not written in stone.
Howard
Where's the fargin bump thingy???

This may be Headrage's last event for a while, so sign up, ya pussies. Hostility suite at my motel Friday night.... Free tequila and you can fondle AAron. I'll be bringing a couple of handheld GPS units, so you bench racers can see how fast your POS will really go. Dekman, I'm gonna love to own that orange car biggrin.gif
dekman
Howard...the challenge is to be on a real track. Not a 60 y/o potholed, gravel-spitting runway! Maybe I'll come and watch you do some gravel drifting..... alfred.gif
Brad Roberts
The link doesnt work for me. I might want to attend this.

B
G e o r g e
brad if no one can lead you to a working link i do have the info back at my office, forms and all that i can fax you next week.

i to want to go to this, but im not sure my rebuld will be done in time.

George
Brad Roberts
WHOA. That is WAY out there from SD. I'll pass. I would rather run the PCA Zone7+Zone8 Shootout in Fresno.

Thanks for the lead though. It sounds like fun, but if I'm going to travel that far, I'm going to run a track event.

B
street legal go-kart
Brad ,
Miss Mari ,Dylan and I will be at the Fresno shoot out as it is being held about 5 blocks from our main warehouse/office.
Anyone else up for the zone7/8 SCCA shoot out?

JT
Howard
Repaired Link.
http://members.quixnet.net/free2000/Solo2/...PineFlyer06.pdf

Admin, could you fix first page?

And from what I understand, this less of a race and more of a party.
Allan
And from what I understand, this less of a race and more of a party.
[/quote]

Oh great, I already sent the money... blink.gif
Howard
Allan, yer whining again. I'll race you smile.gif
Allan
I got yer whine Howie.

Are there any rooms left?
Aaron Cox
the fate of my car being there is up in the air....

we be trying mang tongue.gif
dekman
Look at Howard!!! Mr. "I'll race anybody cause I've got a new car" gunner.gif Somebody is getting a little cocky! Maybe "someone" needs to put him in his place.......I think Mrs. K can handle it mrs.K.gif
Howard
Rob you're right on that point. If I ever wanted someone to take care of my cocky, I would call mrs.K.gif
I'll race anything that burns dead dinosaurs, and if I don't win, it's OK. You ought to see me play golf biggrin.gif
BMITCHELL
Hey, I just got my car off the blocks. Can I race too?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.