Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aluminum face 914 Pressure Plates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave from KEP
Just thought I'd stop by and let you all know about a new item Kennedy Engineered Products is coming out with. I am the clutch manager here and it was brought to my attention that some of the 914 guys would like a lighter pressure plate since Sachs stopped making theirs. Ours will be out in a month or so but for now I'm only making 50. Ours will make the stock clutch 3 pounds lighter than the original and comes in 2 load ratings for now. We call them Stage 1 and Stage 2 . They have a hard Tungston/Cobalt wear surface. Anyone have any interest or thoughts?

Dave
Aaron Cox
that is great that a vendor listens to its purchasers! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

what does the said setup cost?

couple this to a machined/lightened flywheel for seriously light rotating mass smilie_pokal.gif
914-8
Not on that subject, but while you are here, what do you have as far as clutch setups for high torque V8 applications?

How much?

And how is it different/better than the Renegade setup?

biggrin.gif
echocanyons
welcome.png Dave,

Yes that does sound interesting. Do you need a special clutch disk or can yuo run the stock type with this?

Dave from KEP
Price I suppose would be helpful. Sorry. It will have a list price of $360.

Dave
Allan
Will this work on /6 conversions?
J P Stein
QUOTE (Dave from KEP @ Mar 9 2006, 04:28 PM)
Price I suppose would be helpful. Sorry. It will have a list price of $360.

Dave

Humm........I may need one of those.
2 minutes ago, I didn't laugh.gif
Dave from KEP
I must be in the wrong place for replies. Sorry. Just a newbie. I'll answer this way until I learn.

This is for the standard 215mm Pressure plate. It can use any disc intended for use in a 914...Stock, 4 pad metallic, 6pad, etc.

I can't speak for Renegade, but I believe their adaptions use a 228mm pressure plate. We do make those as well, but the aluminum version has not yet been birthed.

Dave
914-8
Oops, left out some info.

What are your clutch options for a 914 V8 running a 915 trans?
Dave from KEP
I think on the 914/6 conversion, depending on whose kit you use, you need the 228mm version. At least on the KEP conversion it is set up for the 228mm.

Dave
nocones
I'm interested to know this as well, since I happen to have my V8 separated from my 915 transaxle right now. smash.gif
Dave from KEP
QUOTE (914-8 @ Mar 9 2006, 04:38 PM)
Oops, left out some info.

What are your clutch options for a 914 V8 running a 915 trans?

We have an all aluminum version of our 225mm pressure plate which only weighs 6 lbs. It also uses the Tungston /Cobalt face. They list at $525.

Dave
Randal
Hi Dave,

I'm in.

Cheers,

Randal
fiid
Don't need a different pressure plate at this time - but just a shoutout to Kep for making subaru engines bolt to 901 transmissions! Thanks!!
Dave from KEP
QUOTE (fiid @ Mar 9 2006, 05:26 PM)
Don't need a different pressure plate at this time - but just a shoutout to Kep for making subaru engines bolt to 901 transmissions! Thanks!!

Thank you! We always try our best. We make shortened oil pans too, but I suppose you knew that.

Dave
Jake Raby
Dave, this is what you and I talked about a few weeks back and YES WE DO NEED THEM!

I'll stock a few of them if it helps get them produced.
rick 918-S
What is the clamping force numbers for the stage II. ? My transaxle is currently out, and my stock parts were slipping.

Can I be more specific?

What are the clampnig force numbers for the stock 1.7 compared to your new Aluminum stage II?
Dave from KEP
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Mar 9 2006, 06:29 PM)
Dave, this is what you and I talked about a few weeks back and YES WE DO NEED THEM!

I'll stock a few of them if it helps get them produced.

Thanks Jake. We are only a couple weeks away, but I got concerned I don't have enough once the word got out.

Dave
Dave from KEP
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Mar 10 2006, 06:39 AM)
What is the clamping force numbers for the stage II. ? My transaxle is currently out, and my stock parts were slipping.

Can I be more specific?

What are the clampnig force numbers for the stock 1.7 compared to your new Aluminum stage II?

Stock clamping force is about 1200 lbs and is good for about 180 lb/ft of torque with a stock disc.

Stage 1 is 1560, good for 230 lb/ft

Stage 2 is 1840, good for272 lb/ft.

Dave
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Dave from KEP @ Mar 10 2006, 07:16 AM)
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Mar 10 2006, 06:39 AM)

Can I be more specific?

Stock clamping force is about 1200 lbs and is good for about 180 lb/ft of torque with a stock disc.

Stage 1 is 1560, good for 230 lb/ft

Stage 2 is 1840, good for272 lb/ft.

Dave

Let us know when their released. I need one.
ClayPerrine
Great...something else I have to have.... wink.gif

With friends like this creating things I have to have for my car... I am never going to get it done. biggrin.gif

Seriously, sounds like a fine part. I can't justify one right now, but when I upgrade my six motor in the future, one of these is on the list for installation.

Thanks,
shoguneagle
jsharp.gif Welcome to the 914 Club Board, I have used your flywheels, clutch packages, etc on a couple of projects. Always worked well and were engineered the right way.

I have not been in contact with Kennedy for several years but always get the "old man". I really enjjoy talking to him, getting some of his vast knowledge, and gruff/grumpy personality. He is one great guy.

Steve Hurt
Shoguneagle jsharp.gif
Dave from KEP
QUOTE (shoguneagle @ Mar 10 2006, 03:29 PM)
jsharp.gif Welcome to the 914 Club Board, I have used your flywheels, clutch packages, etc on a couple of projects. Always worked well and were engineered the right way.

I have not been in contact with Kennedy for several years but always get the "old man". I really enjjoy talking to him, getting some of his vast knowledge, and gruff/grumpy personality. He is one great guy.

Steve Hurt
Shoguneagle jsharp.gif

Mr. Kennedy is doing good, although last year took a spill and tore something in his knee. He had surgery but hasn't been quite the same since. He is a great man and I'm proud to say I have worked with him for 20+ years. smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks for the vote of confidence. We do try to make the best possible parts we can... and always listen to our customers thoughts and opinions.

Dave
alpha434
Tungsten carbide wear face?!?!?!

OVERKILL!!!

Sweet. Can't wait to see them produced.

laugh.gif
Dave from KEP
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 11 2006, 11:41 AM)
Tungsten carbide wear face?!?!?!

OVERKILL!!!

Sweet. Can't wait to see them produced.

laugh.gif

Tungsten Carbide allows us to use less steel spray which helps to keep the weight down. It is also, as you know, very hard...but expensive. However, our experience with it in the 915 all aluminum, the 200mm version for VW and 356 has spawned the new 914, the 944, and a 180mm version for the early VW ane 356. We are looking in to the possibility of versions for 930 Early and Late, as well as 944 Turbo and G-50.

Dave
alpha434
I've got an carbide endmill somewhere that I've literally cut in half with a tungsten carbide endmill.

Yes. Hard.

I'm looking at your stuff for 356s right now. I'm liking it.
degreeoff
I'm in too,

My 6 will need it

Josh
Dave from KEP
QUOTE (degreeoff @ Mar 11 2006, 03:19 PM)
I'm in too,

My 6 will need it

Josh

Cool. I will post when they are ready. Thanks all for your comments. clap56.gif

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.