Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door bracing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Please post some good pics of the door bracing bars that you guys have made...

It is finally warm enough, and I need to go out tommorow and build these bars.

Thanx
Rich
TimT
not teener but you get the idea

grasshopper
you mean for restoration, or like a cage?
r_towle
the temporary door bracing that is used while fixing the longitudinal...

I would like to see a few good detailed shots, prefer to see the connections as well...how is it connected and adjusted...

Thanx in advance.

Rich
grasshopper
uhhh.. dont really have a good shot of the whole thing.... but pretty much just some steel bars, large turnbuckles that you can get at a farm supply place, and a door hinge.... Weld you turnbuckle to one end of the bar.... you need to drill a hole to mount the other end of the bar into the seatbelt mount. I assume for this restoration you have your rear window out?? if not, you need to cut the bar to size... if you do, it can just stick out the rear... bolt your door hinge to the door jamb. There is an angle that you have to make, so I welded the other end of the turnbuckle to the door hinge while it was in place... sorry for the kind of confusing directions... oh yea, later i welded angle iron to it, because just the straight bar would bend when i tryed to adjust it. When you have everything installed, you just turn the turnbuckle to adjust the width.... heres a pic of the turnbuckle...
TimT
the temporary door bracing that is used while fixing the longitudinal.

heheh oops

well the NASCAR bars I welded in the 911 would support the longs I suppose...

I misunderstood the original post

grasshopper
another shot...kinda...you can see how the staight bar was bending, and not working correctly.... angle iron fixed that.
r_towle
really looking for the ones that dont bend....

Prefer to see a few different types guys...come on...I know you guys have them out there....

Rich
drewvw

I think there are some good shots in michelko's restoration thread.

hopefully that helps
r_towle
Well I found this one from Racer Chris.
michelko
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Mar 10 2006, 07:50 PM)
another shot...kinda...you can see how the staight bar was bending, and not working correctly.... angle iron fixed that.

Sorry to hijack, but..
you shoulddn´t do that with the wheels on ground. Put the tub on jackstands (using the donuts). No bending of the brace cause its pulled not pushed. This also takes the stress out of the longs while yoo are grinding and welding.

michelko
as you can see, no bending!

smilie_flagge6.gif
Pistachio
Ok, so when you're doing something like this, how do you know you're chassis's square before you start welding in replacement pieces?

You've got the turnbucles on there so you could adjust it, but what do you measure from & to? And what's the "magic" number to be square?

(factory square is what I'm talking about. Obviously you want both sides even, but when you set it down youdon't want a welded in U shaped chassis. Or a ^, ...lol or a ~ for that matter) huh.gif
grasshopper
QUOTE (michelko @ Mar 10 2006, 11:40 PM)
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Mar 10 2006, 07:50 PM)

Sorry to hijack, but..
you shoulddn´t do that with the wheels on ground. Put the tub on jackstands (using the donuts). No bending of the brace cause its pulled not pushed. This also takes the stress out of the longs while yoo are grinding and welding.

cool, thanks for the heads up! I am glad you told me that before i started working on the longs... I was going to start this weekend, but i am going away....soooo I'll get it up on jackstands smilie_pokal.gif Thanks!
bd1308
grasshopper,

ahem...

cool_shades.gif

b
grasshopper
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 11 2006, 05:13 AM)
grasshopper,

ahem...

cool_shades.gif

b

hey...im a grasshopper wink.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Mar 11 2006, 07:14 AM)
grasshopper,

ahem...

cool_shades.gif

b

sigh....

not much for subliminal messaging are we?

are you still coming to KY?

b
Jeroen
check my blog, there's several pics of mine in there...
r_towle
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 11 2006, 08:26 AM)
check my blog, there's several pics of mine in there...

In every picture all I can see is that you have a solid bar in there...

I cannot see the front connection. Is there some adjustability to those, or did you just use jacks to get the car right and then measure and cut the tubing??

I am looking to get the car on stands, and then straighten it up using these bars...

Rich
Jeroen
my bars are non adjustable
I measured the car best I could (check the 914 info link at the top of the page) and it was good to go
I used old catch plates on the rear fender and fabbed a 3mm piece to bolt to where the top door hinge normally sits
Then made the bars (1" square tubing) to fit and welded them in
iamchappy
For all the dimensions to square up your car go here at 914 info:

http://www.914world.com/specs/bodydims.php?...f60452c126b5d17

welder.gif
drewvw

rich, where do you live in mass?
grasshopper
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 11 2006, 05:16 AM)
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Mar 11 2006, 07:14 AM)
grasshopper,

ahem...

cool_shades.gif

b

sigh....

not much for subliminal messaging are we?

are you still coming to KY?

b

hell yeah! my dad already gave me the ok, so we will determine exactly when, when it gets closer...Early june is all I know right now.... maybe the first week..??.. ar15.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.