Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Dakotaewings 74 LS Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
dakotaewing
More progress...
dakotaewing
After...
dakotaewing
I was trying to figure out how I could continue painting, and deal with the issues of needing fresh air, and exhausting the fumes....
This is what I came up with today -
It actually worked OK...

Here is my fresh air...
I took a shop vac with a filter, reversed the hose, and put the shop vac on the outside of the garage door. I ran a couple of 2x4's under the door with the hose coming in under the door, through a gap, between 2 boards on the floor...
dakotaewing
Then for my exhaust, I was going to do the reverse of the same thing, but in order to do this I was going to have to come up with another shop vac. I really did not want to go to that expense, so instead, I took a leaf blower, and accomplished the same thing... There are 2 problems with the leaf blower... It is hard to sit on its side, and it is a LOT louder than a shop vac...
BIGKAT_83
Nice work!!!!

3d914
That looks awesome.

I'm curious about the primer you're using. The engine bay was obviously stripped, but the front trunk looks like you sprayed over (factory?) paint. So you're using one primary for both?

Keep up the great project.
dakotaewing
I am using SPI's Epoxy primer... Regular build primer provide's no protection to water,humidity, or even oxygen.... The water would eventually work its way right back to the metal using a regular build primer, if your paint is not applied shortly there after-

Whenever I need info on painting, I go here -
http://spi.forumup.org/index.php?mforum=spi

Yes, I am spraying over the factory trunk paint, after I spent 3 days cleaning it with denatured alcohol, and scotch brite pads..

I am using an HVLP gun, and I have a 220v 60 gallon compressor -
dakotaewing
OK - I can't take credit for this idea, but I am excited that I won these on ebay this week - Ferrari stainless mufflers, with the butterfly valve, for sound control -
These are very similar to drivability's mufflers on his V8 car, whom deserves the credit for coming up with these in the first place - These mufflers are for the 550 -
These ended up $225 total shipped -

SirAndy
icon_bump.gif
sgrisanti
Who is known to be the best 914 paint shop on the East Coast
budk
QUOTE(sgrisanti @ Jan 9 2016, 12:10 PM) *

Who is known to be the best 914 paint shop on the East Coast

Best is subjective, but look up member scottyb who has a shop in VA I think.
bigfour2.5L
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Mar 11 2006, 11:44 PM) *

Starting my update for the build-off.....
This one has been going on too long -
Looks like the last update was 6 years ago - Yikes!
Here's a recent photo of me and the car....
And the original first image for this post on the bottom.

I have been participating in 914 events and on the boards for more than a few years now, although only posting a few times a week...

There are a few of the contingent from the Texas group and from the MUSR's that have accused me of not having a car at all.... Including Clay and James West....

So, just to make it clear that a car does actually exist, even though it be on jackstands... Here is Bullit in my driveway... Notice in one of the pics the Suburban that I auto crossed year before last many years ago at MUSR 6...???

I will post additional photos of the progress as things move along, but keep in mind I have had this tub over 5 15 years...

Sounds like a good start; if you still have it 15yrs later as a non runner. Then I think that officially makes your infected and quite possible a lifer.
Any way looks real straight and of sound body now. Now comes the hard part picking a color and putting back together.
Hell 15yrs ago I was a young pup, now just an old dog.
The easy part is I'm sure you KNOW where every little pc is...RIGHT??? headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.