Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got my first 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
fitsbain
I posted a few weeks back that I was going to be getting a 914 from my wifes aunt. Well I towed it to Pittsburgh from DC 2 sundays ago and I'm finially getting pictures up. I'll be keeping this up to date with pics of the progress on the car. I'll be open to any suggestions you have. Now on to the pics.

Is that a 914 under all that junk?

fitsbain
By the way that's my dad in that pic.

It was really burried.

fitsbain
Hey it is a 914!!!

Just had to uncover it.

fitsbain
That is the only rust on the outside of the car.

Here is the only body damage.

fitsbain
There she is!!!

fitsbain
Moving for the first time in 9 years.

But not under her own power yet. sad.gif

fitsbain
Loaded and ready to go home.

fitsbain
Arriving in Pittsburgh.

fitsbain
Her new home.

fitsbain
All tucked away for te night.

Isn't she pretty!!

That is my recovery crew, dad and my sister.

tdsmoonchild
Nice to see another one getting saved from the woodpile! welcome.png
mikelsr
Congrats! Which engine do you have in there? Is that a MN plate on the front and MD on the back? welcome.png Enjoy. If you need help there is a lot of knowledge in this non-club.

Mike
VaccaRabite
Congrats. Looks like you have your work cut out for you. How much resto are you planning on doing, or is it just going to be loved as it is?

welcome.png

Zach
Spoke
Good luck on your new car and welcome to the club. If you can't find 914 advice/help/parts/etc here, it most likely can't be found anywhere.

Whereabouts do you live in the 'burgh? I'm originally from the Sewickley area.

BTW, GO STEELERS! Finally one for the thumb!

Spoke
fitsbain
It's to be restored, maybe not quite a concourse, but at least showable, drivable, and raceable.

It was bought at auction 9 years ago and transported to MD. Before that it was driven in MN. The MD plate was put on it by someone at my wife' aunt's house. Never been titled since it was bought at auction. I'll title it as soon as I'm sure it goes back together.

Spook - I'm from Cranberry origionally, and now me and the car (the wife too) live in New Ken. You still in Pittsburgh? I saw you just got a new green one.
fitsbain
I started to take her apart and thought I'd share what I found.

fitsbain
Up front things look really good.

fitsbain
The back is anoter story.

fitsbain
Shouldn't there be some FI stuff here??

Oh well, carbs are easier anyway.

sk8kat1
uh oh .. is that a hole in your hell hole I see.... ohmy.gif
fitsbain
Hey where did all the stuff that should be here go?

Oh ya it fell out all over the floor.

fitsbain
Guess how the battery was held in.

fitsbain
And the inside.

Got alot of work to do.

Motor and Trans come out next.

Bleyseng
How do you add oil??? Is that a bus engine in it or just the custom oil breather?

Lots of rust.

its time to learn how to weld!

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
fitsbain
Made some more progress today.

Look whats missing now.

fitsbain
This doesn't look good!!

fitsbain
This side is much better.

fitsbain
So thats where it's hiding!!!

Guess it will be sitting there for a while until I get the tub all straightened out.

Now I guess it's time to strip out everything else.
riverman
Look out for squirrels in that thing!

Congrats on saving another neglected teener. Mine looked much like that when I first got it. It's a lot of work to bring them back, but you'll learn lots and have fun doing it. Now get that baby on some jack stands where it belongs!
fitsbain
LOL the back is on stands now.

But I'm leaving the wheels on it incase I have to move it around.

Guess I could build a cheap wooden roling stand, but I'm going to make a roticery if someone on here doesn't offer to loan me one (Any takers?).

That way I can tun it over and deal with the little whole under the battery. I say little cause it's not quite big enough to put my head in and see what is going on.
drewvw
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Mar 19 2006, 08:50 AM)
uh oh .. is that a hole in your hell hole I see.... ohmy.gif

dum dum dum! Maybe time for a little welder.gif
Pat Garvey
unsure.gif
Wow! You have lots of work ahead of you. All those years of sitting outdoors weren't kind to your 914, but it IS salvageable. I look at it & feel like a mosquito in a nudist camp - where to start first!
Root_Werks
Looks like you have SSI's on that engine, that would be a nice score for you. Cool car, looks like a factory silver car? Are you going to stick with the factory color?
Bleyseng
All that looks easy to fix, just get a new bungie cord to hold the battery in and drive it! cool.gif
fitsbain
Can you elaborate on "SSI's" Not sure what you mean. I'm a VW and Porsche newbe. Talk Chevy and Camaro and I'm all over that. HEHEHE

In the peeling paint in the trunk there is a light silver at the bottom then a blue green color and then a darker silver on the outside.

Not sure what one is origional and what is the primar. I plan on a silver color maybe a factory 914 or other porsche color or maybe something else entirely. Will know that till all the other work is done.

The body is almost perfect. The only rust on the whole thing is a little in the trunk and the hell hole. I'm going to weld up the HH my self so hopefully it willn't take too long or be too expensive. The car was free and my budget is $2000 including tools (I have a lot but have to buy the welder so we will see how it goes). Any part donations from your old projects are welcome. If I end up not using something I'll pass it on to another or send it back.

In that vain, anyone have a roticery they want to loan. Promise to return it.
brant
you need to pull the rocker covers and examine for rust on the longitudinals too..

whew... making me tired just watching.
but your doing REALLY fast work.

keep it up.
good job.

brant
nomore9one4
Good to see another 914er in Pittsburgh. welcome.png
fitsbain
BRANT - I have to work fast. I plan to drive this thing to a wedding at the end of July. A friend is getting married in Maine and I'm in Pittsburgh.

Now on to the pics.

fitsbain
It's all stripped up to the firewall.

fitsbain
Door are off now too.

fitsbain
The rust here isn't really too bad. Mostly just surface due to standing water in the trunk mat.

fitsbain
Look ma no hands, ERR ah doors. LOL

As long asa I get back from business in Dallas I plan to have it totally stripped by the end of the weekend.

boboli914 - Where are you at?

I could use a chance to look at another 914 that is in better shape than my own, just to let me know there is light at the end of this long dark tunnel. And anytime you want to get your hands dirty please let me know. :-)

1bad914
Looks great! You need to take the long covers off and take a peek. The rest of the rust is just a meer flesh wound!! sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Dead Air
QUOTE (fitsbain @ Mar 29 2006, 11:07 AM)
Can you elaborate on "SSI's" Not sure what you mean. I'm a VW and Porsche newbe. Talk Chevy and Camaro and I'm all over that. HEHEHE

[QUOTE]

They're the stainless steel covers (heat exchangers) over the exhaust manifolds used to put heat in the cabin. 914'ers love them and they're pretty expensive.
Nice progress!
Compare yours to mine...
Progress or heat exchangers... beer.gif
drewvw

you are moving fast...keep that mojo workin'!
nomore9one4
QUOTE(fitsbain @ Mar 30 2006, 03:19 AM)

boboli914 - Where are you at?

I could use a chance to look at another 914 that is in better shape than my own, just to let me know there is light at the end of this long dark tunnel. And anytime you want to get your hands dirty please let me know. :-)

I am in the Bellevue,West View area. The 72' is here all the time unless it gets sold.(still debating that)

I just scrapped a roller last weekend that you could of used alot of metal from.(sorry) Nobody wanted it!

Yours is coming along nicely!
fitsbain
Where did you send the hulk? I know wagners has a foreign car yard up on 19 north of Cranberry. I'll be up in Cranberry this weekend and making a stop in Franklin Park. You care to show off your car sometime Saturday afternoon?
Bleyseng
Thats a nice start, read all the pages of Mikelo's restoration . I think is title Going into Hell or something. Its 15 pages of rust repairs step by step so you can see how to fix this. Get the door brace on and pull those rocker covers off so you can see the rust there.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(fitsbain @ Mar 30 2006, 06:24 AM)
Where did you send the hulk? I know wagners has a foreign car yard up on 19 north of Cranberry. I'll be up in Cranberry this weekend and making a stop in Franklin Park. You care to show off your car sometime Saturday afternoon?

The car went to the crusher not the junk yard. I believe they unloaded it with a very large magnet sad.gif

The last time I checked Wagners they did not have any 914's,but that was many years ago.

I would love to show off the 72'. I will not be around saturday,but all day sunday(I think) and any other time is fine.
If you think of anything else you need let me know I may still have this and that laying around you are welcome to have. Just let me know. Bob
fitsbain
Hey, where did my car go.

Oh ya, it's not on its jackstands now!!!!

HOOOWWW!!!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.