Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires and torsion bars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JJ914
Hey,

Two ?s. First I am thinking of go to 195/55/15. Can anyone tell me if they have had good luck with that size tire. There going on the the EMPI style 8 spoke mags. Also has anyone adjusted there blink.gif front torsion bars, my left side is lower than my right.

Thanks,

Jason

72' 914 1.7 Saturn Yellow
Joe Ricard
Yea your tire size will fit the wheel and also fit up under your fenders no sweat.

Torsion bar????
nah we just talk abpout 914's we don't actually know how to work on them wacko.gif

Seriously this is one stop shopping for fixing your 914
the Torsion bars can be adjusted by truning the "adjusting bolt found at the rear of the torsion bar. Either a 8mm allen scocket or 11mm hex head.
Be sure to relieve some pressureoff the suspension before turning bolt or you could strip it.
Jaiden
If those EMPI's are VW offset then those tires will rub unless you roll the inner fender lip and pull out the fender openings 1/2"

Ask me how I know!!!!! laugh.gif
Joe Ricard
How do you roll the "inner" fender lip?

I'd like to know cause my slicks rub the inner fender just a tad while pulling 1.4 lateral G's

don't come close to the OUTER fender.
Jaiden
I mean the inner lip on the fender. I did mine with two blocks of wood and a large pair of channel locks and slowly worked from the center out and then just gave a tug on the fender it bring it out a tad. THe PO did one side and screwed it up now the rear fender sort of looks crappy.

All I know is the lip is not on the OUTSIDE of anything so it must be an INNER lip smash.gif
Joe Ricard
I hate me on days like this. Sharting shit for no apparent reason. bored out of my skull, 80 degrees outside and sunny. I'm stuck infront of this damn box.
I wanna go work on my race car.
Jaiden
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 15 2006, 12:44 PM)
I hate me on days like this. Sharting shit for no apparent reason. bored out of my skull, 80 degrees outside and sunny. I'm stuck infront of this damn box.
I wanna go work on my race car.

you sound just like me!! HA HA although I don't think I have the post count to start anything around here without getting my ass whooped!!
JJ914
So would 185/60/15 or something different fit better than the 195-55s. Rolling the fenders seems a bit scary confused24.gif
Mueller
what size do you have one there now?

JJ914
165R15 I call them rudders
JJ914
What size tire is best for my rims. I want something better handleing without having to roll fenders
Jaiden
If you go with a 185 tire you should be good on the VW offset empi's but double check you might have a porsche offset empi style rim as they do exist.

Just make sure you check the offset or backspacing to verify. If you have the proper offset you should be able to run a 205 tire.

Joe Ricard
Or buy my Mahles. with tires on em.
195/60-15
rhodyguy
doing body damage, to run a set of wheels that are worth $150 tops (used, set of 4) never made any sense to me. as stated, you MUST measure the back spacing. from the inner wheel face to a straight edge laid across the inner lip of the wheel. off hand it's about 4 5/8" on a oem 4 lug fuch, iirc. i'll measure exactly later.

k
Joe Ricard
My set of FUCHS were 4 1/2" as were my Pedrini and the Mahles also.
rhodyguy
or 9/16". wink.gif if the back spacing is too shallow, save up for some proper wheels for your new tires.

k
JJ914
JOE,

Can you give me a price and a pic.
Joe Ricard
You got mail.
JJ914
Just measured my backspace and it is 4 inchs. sad.gif I guess that explains why my little tires are so close to the fenders.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (JJ914 @ Mar 16 2006, 04:55 PM)
Just measured my backspace and it is 4 inchs. sad.gif I guess that explains why my little tires are so close to the fenders.

Interesting because the Empis I have owned (4 sets) were less than that even 3 3/4". So glad I sold all of them as they were heavy 19lbs and did infact limit tire sizes.
JJ914
I think mine are made by Sprit of America at lest that what the hub caps say stromberg.gif
metroe
QUOTE(JJ914 @ Mar 15 2006, 12:41 PM) *

Hey,

Two ?s. First I am thinking of go to 195/55/15. Can anyone tell me if they have had good luck with that size tire. There going on the the EMPI style 8 spoke mags. Also has anyone adjusted there blink.gif front torsion bars, my left side is lower than my right.

Thanks,

Jason

I run 195/65's on the frount and 205/55's on the rear and they work fine.
metroe
QUOTE(JJ914 @ Mar 15 2006, 12:41 PM) *

Hey,

Two ?s. First I am thinking of go to 195/55/15. Can anyone tell me if they have had good luck with that size tire. There going on the the EMPI style 8 spoke mags. Also has anyone adjusted there :blink: front torsion bars, my left side is lower than my right.

Thanks,

Jason

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.