Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie questions..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hybridhunter
first off HI EVERYONE! I'm new to this board (except for a post on the classifieds biggrin.gif), and new to teh 914 - I'm looking at picking up a roller as a project car i'll probably never finish. OK, Dont ar15.gif me, but i've got some newb type questions -
Is there a method (year, engine, trim pkg?) to the differences between 914 body/trim? specifically: painted/vinyl sail panels, presence/absence of the little round side markers, complete wrap around/no-middle-section taillights, etc.
Were there changes to suspenion/brake setups through the years? (i'll assume spring rates change with engine mass)
Any model year to stay away from?

I just want to figure out exactly what i want and do my proper research before i lay down the cash on the car. THANKS for any input!
davep
Painted vs vinyl sails: appearance group had the vinyl
Side marker lights: North America had them, Europe did not
Tail-lights: the Porsche reflector was aftermarket not factory
Suspension: 914/6 = 5 bolt, 914/4 = 4 bolt
Brakes: 914/4 early through 1972 late followed, not too big of a difference
Springs: really no change to worry about

Cars to avoid: any with major rust damage, especially the hell-hole under the battery tray, also any with major collision damage

Cars to find: probably the most expensive you can manage, it will likely be cheaper in the long run
swl
I'll have a stab at a bit of this. Not a real expert but here goes:

Trim levels. Most differences were trim level options. vinyl sail panels were the most visible. There were a few thousand that came to this side of the pond with vinyl on the A pillar as well - early 73

Only really visible differences amongst the years (I'll probably get corrected here) were the bumpers. early were just chrome. Then front bumperettes (73?) then front and rear bumperettes. Then the big rubber bumpers.

Some differences between north american and european versions - side markers. Different front and rear lenses.

Other really visible differences are aftermarket - like the center reflector on the rear, valences, front and rear, spoilers ...

The holy grail of the model years is the 73 2.0 Later variants got smogged to death. 1.7 and 1.8 in stock form are pretty weak.
swl
QUOTE (swl @ Mar 15 2006, 07:25 PM)
1.7 and 1.8 in stock form are pretty weak.

just to clarify - by weak I mean low horsepower. In terms of reliability they are great.
tat2dphreak
no, the holy grail is the 916...

or any original 6 in great shape... then the 73-74 2.0...
swl
Too true. My mind was in type IV land.
hybridhunter
So is there nothing under the vinyl but the standard sail? i mean if i wanted just a painted sail panel, i could just pull the vinyl off when i get to the paint-prep stage?
Allan
QUOTE (hybridhunter @ Mar 15 2006, 08:07 PM)
i mean if i wanted just a painted sail panel, i could just pull the vinyl off when i get to the paint-prep stage?

Yep...
LowGT
1.7 POWA!!! burnout.gif burnout.gif

hide.gif
Borderline
The transaxle changes from tail shifter to side shifter in '73. I found this out after buying my '72. The tailshifter has way too much monkey motion in the linkage. I wish I had known that before I bought. I'm in the process of changing over right now. sad.gif
Dead Air
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Mar 15 2006, 07:40 PM)
no, the holy grail is the 916...

or any original 6 in great shape...

Grasshopper,

then the 73-74 2.0...

boldblue.gif [QUOTE]
Rusty
Have you read the 914 FAQ? It's probably the best single-page document available about the 914.

It was written by Dave Darling... a member here (and many other places).

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...Darling_FAQ.htm
jr91472
Another good source is: "How to Restore & Modify your Porsche 914 and 914/6" by Patrick Paternie.

It isn't the end all of 914 books, but it definitely provides a great run down on the production / feature changes made over the years. It will also give you a good headstart on some of the potential projects you can look forward to..... biggrin.gif

Really good book....check Amazon, etc.

Good luck and enjoy beer.gif
mrdezyne
agree.gif

Before you spend a dime on a potential money pit, buy these two books and study up. As stated above, "How to Modify and Restore your 914" will give you lots of good photos and how too's for fixing problems and making it better than stock.

The second book here is a great source for identifying different options and quirks by year and model. Both are required reading for newbies IMHO.... they continue to help me out with my build.
hybridhunter
THANKS everyone!
davep
QUOTE (hybridhunter @ Mar 15 2006, 08:07 PM)
So is there nothing under the vinyl but the standard sail? i mean if i wanted just a painted sail panel, i could just pull the vinyl off when i get to the paint-prep stage?

Not exactly. On many cars with vinyl the sails were not fully painted underneath. Also you will need to fill the holes for the clips that held the trim. That area is very prone to rust due to a plug of expanding foam used underneath the panel that tended to trap moisture causing it to rust from the inside out.
tdgray
Oh and BTW Matt

welcome.png
hybridhunter
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Mar 16 2006, 03:04 AM)
Another good source is: "How to Restore & Modify your Porsche 914 and 914/6" by Patrick Paternie.

It isn't the end all of 914 books, but it definitely provides a great run down on the production / feature changes made over the years. It will also give you a good headstart on some of the potential projects you can look forward to..... biggrin.gif

Amazon has a bunch of REALLY negative reviews of that book... dry.gif
seanery
QUOTE (tdgray @ Mar 16 2006, 12:57 PM)
Oh and BTW Matt

welcome.png

agree.gif welcome.png

Oh, we're a damn bunch of cynics, if it's 914 related we'll tear it apart (that's why we're good for pre-purchase inpsections!) so we probably tore the book apart one day just for kicks! w00t1.gif w00t2.gif Jumpy.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE (hybridhunter @ Mar 16 2006, 05:11 PM)
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Mar 16 2006, 03:04 AM)
Another good source is:  "How to Restore & Modify your Porsche 914 and 914/6" by Patrick Paternie.

It isn't the end all of 914 books, but it definitely provides a great run down on the production / feature changes made over the years.  It will also give you a good headstart on some of the potential projects you can look forward to..... biggrin.gif

Amazon has a bunch of REALLY negative reviews of that book... dry.gif

I have it and I like it. I'll have to get the other two books pictured above.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.