Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump Noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MiddleGACruiser
This morning when I started the car the fuel pump started making a very loud noise. Otherwise, the car runs/acts normal (for a 33 Y/O).

History:
Pump moved to front, under belly pan/cover ~2 years ago.
New fuel filter at the same time.
Hoses connected according to diagram from Atlanta Amateurs.
Quiet operation until this morning.

MGC
'73 1.7
swl
not much inside that pump to go noisy. Perhaps your mounting bolts have loosened off?
URY914
I know you've checked this but when the pump and tank are empty, the pump really roars when it is on.
Maybe the filter is clogged and not allowing fuel to get to the pump. confused24.gif
MiddleGACruiser
QUOTE (URY914 @ Mar 17 2006, 08:33 AM)
I know you've checked this but when the pump and tank are empty, the pump really roars when it is on.
Maybe the filter is clogged and not allowing fuel to get to the pump. confused24.gif

I really thought hard about posting this but I just couldn't help it, so here it goes.

I didn't check to see if it had gas, I just assumed it did since it runs fine. It just makes a hell of a racket. I think I'll check the mounting bolts. Oh well, I'll check for gas too. But if it's out I'm not adding any since it runs so well without it.

Now donning kevlar, let the shooting begin.
URY914
QUOTE (MiddleGACruiser @ Mar 17 2006, 10:37 AM)
QUOTE (URY914 @ Mar 17 2006, 08:33 AM)

I really thought hard about posting this but I just couldn't help it, so here it goes.

I didn't check to see if it had gas, I just assumed it did since it runs fine. It just makes a hell of a racket. I think I'll check the mounting bolts. Oh well, I'll check for gas too. But if it's out I'm not adding any since it runs so well without it.

Now donning kevlar, let the shooting begin.

Hey I get it, you're using sarcasm in you reply. laugh.gif

You funny.
MiddleGACruiser
Hey URY. Thanks for having a sense of humor about my reply. I see you're from Temple Terrace. I grew up in Town n Country, worked for Fred Cox on Florida Ave for a couple of years, and have family all over there.
Rough_Rider
We'll your not alone. I've a front mounted holley 5psi pump. That thing is loud!!!!! at idle you can hear it above engine noise!

Ironically over the winter i had the entire system drained, firing it up a few time without fuel it was silent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.