Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What does the WCC mean to you
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
djm914-6
Tell me why you attend the WCC events. What draws you to it? Is there one thing that stands out?

JoeSharp
IT'S THE PEOPLE
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
markb
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Mar 17 2006, 07:17 AM)
IT'S THE PEOPLE

agree.gif

And the alcohol doesn't hurt. beer.gif

biggrin.gif
djm914-6
BUT I CAN'T PAINT PEOPLE (well) !!! biggrin.gif

Ok, joking aside, keep it coming. I'm searching for some inspiration. I have some ideas so far but I'm really looking for a WOW.

edit for markb: Beer is one of the main ideas I have.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (markb @ Mar 17 2006, 08:29 AM)
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Mar 17 2006, 07:17 AM)
IT'S THE PEOPLE

agree.gif

And the alcohol doesn't hurt. beer.gif

biggrin.gif

Define hurt.... unsure.gif

I still wince when I think of the hangover.
SLITS
Neverland and Tequila..........

The WCC

Exactly where does one start to explain the experience of attending the WCC? It was three days of glory, in the sun, for the bastard son of VW and Porsche. Shunned from it’s inception, and by most, still shunned to this day, it was our time to revel in the glory that we, 914 owners, were about to embark on a journey from which none of us would return the same. We will have our day was the loudest battle cry I have ever heard.

In the beginning, it sounded like another local get-together from those of us that looked at it from a distance. Protests over the cost and time were rampant on the board and each, one by one, was calmly answered by the organizers. From the protests grew an interest and then a passion to be there; to be part of the coming of age of events faded by time and forgotten in the fog of life.

Are you old enough to remember the glory days of Sports Cars? The rallys, the road-races, all the social events by marque and the burning desires to be the fastest, the best in your chosen brand? Do you remember the passions that exploded? Do you remember the absolute great times we all spent together? For us, the WCC was the recreation, if only for a moment, of times lost in the haze of our daily lives.

Then there were the “newbies”, those that weren’t even alive when the vehicles were built, burning with a desire to belong to that golden era. The stories their kindred have told them of those days began to burn brightly in their eyes. Could they, for the first time, experience the passions that were so warmly told, while sitting in the cold garage with grease and oil covering them. This was to be their chance, their coming out, to be a part of an event that would light the passions for the future.
markb
QUOTE (djm914-6 @ Mar 17 2006, 07:49 AM)
edit for markb: Beer is one of the main ideas I have.

If ya hang around JoeS much, it's the ta-kill-ya. laugh.gif
drew365
If you're talking about artwork, how about a 914 AXing around large beer bottles instead of cones.
DNHunt
Damn Ron I have tears in my eyes
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Mar 17 2006, 09:21 AM)
Damn Ron I have tears in my eyes

laugh.gif

its all about the people....and watching slits get nailed for ricky racer moves on mullholland....
djm914-6
Anyone got any cold beer images?
Howard
Nope! It's the chicks..

rick 918-S
Well, there are soooo many things, where do I begin? This is going to be long. I'm going to miss some very important things. After all the support I received during my build I had to come out and meet the people that cheered me on.

I have to say, the most memorible moment was meeting Kevin (Rhodyguy) He is the first face I met in person at the "04" event. wavey.gif

I hang around the garage and chat with you all, like we know each other. We've done some great things here. It's nice to put faces to the screen names.

Everyone remember meeting on top of the parking ramp for our first official face to face meeting of the 914 club?

How about the breakfast at the golf course? and the canyon run to Mazda? Who got the ticket? laugh.gif

Once you attend one you'll be hooked. Everyone remember the excitement in the air as we all rushed to line up ON THE TRACK AT MAZDA! for the first big photo shoot! DANG THAT WAS COOL! Then we got to take a parade lap!

Getting to actually participate in an AX? I never do that! I suck at it but I had a blast! Standing around for hours on end actually living out the real garage talk with you guys and gals! Top of the cool factor.

Seeing all these cars in one place! The show and shine was outragous! After "04" I was hooked!

"05" with Howard and our Crowned Prince of the Event.... wacko.gif Why wouldn't you attend? That was one of the craziest weekend long parties I've ever been to. party.gif Joe's magic bus? I mean, we were seeing Grass hoppers for pete sake... laugh.gif

I started out my adventure meeting the Colorado guys. Mike and Sharon put me up at their place, I got a free trunk lid, had lunch with Lawrence and Pam!

I drove to Vegas and partied with Joe, Lauren, Nikko, Liz, Chris (Nissan powered teener!) and our friend John(Vegas Racer!)

We had the opportunity to drive on some of the coolest Cali roads ever! We stopped at places like the Rock Store! I got to see friends I made the year before. Not like we weren't friends before the event, but meeting the people you only know on line is way better.

I got to watch racing all day on Saturday with John (Otto) Sandy and I drank his beer and listened to his stories and commentary during the races. It was grand!

The evening festivities were second to non. Food! lots of it, prepared by our members! Laughs you could here for a block! lol2.gif midinght welding in the parking lot! welder.gif crazed people everywhere.

And Sunday.... drooley.gif What can you say about having the opportunity to thrash your car all day without track fees! aktion035.gif driving.gif Having Joe Obrien grab the door handle as we drifted around a sweeping corner! Seeing all the crazies running around talking, laughing and thrashing their cars. Watching Scott rushing to fix his rear brakes so he could get out on the track and lift the front wheel off the ground lap after lap!
Seeing the smile on Ed's face as Otto spin out with Meridith in the passanger seat! lol2.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif What a hoot!

And the trip home with John, Stopping for lunch at the cool 50's diner.

Finding friends along the road to help when you break down. Like Joe, Lauren, Nikko, And Liz, And Dan and the whole board that watched with interest as we worked to find and ship a water pump to Joe and Lauren's place.

But most of all. Time away from work with my wife. wub.gif The best and most important part of my life. Without her support I would be nothing. Who luvs ya Babe! wub.gif wub.gif grouphug.gif

J P Stein
For me, a good way to meet guys I've been talking to for years.
Brad Roberts
It fullfills a dream I have had about growing a club and bringing "like minded" people together in one place. I have always felt that "914 people" have a different heart than "the others". I have never fealt more welcome with any other group of people in my life. The little cars require a "different* owner. They are not for everyone. I personally believe these events help keep 914 projects moving forward across the USA and around the world.

I'm very very proud of what is occuring around the world (primarily because of this site)

B << trying now to get permission to leave the state for the next WCC
Jenny
No question about it. I agree with everyone else. It's definitely the people. I mean, I think that's what keeps us coming back to this site anyway, right? It's great to put faces to names that you've know for years. Plus there's a distinct "vacation" feel to the WCC events, and it reminds me of going in vacation with friends.

I wish I could go this year, but it's just not gonna happen. sad.gif

Jen
DNHunt
I remember Ferg giving me a headlight and a bunch of guys hanging around holding a flashlight helping me change it.

great people

Dave
lagunero
Alright, who logged in as Ron? laugh.gif

All of the above plus the "drive". Getting the car operational hours before we left from OC to Laguna Seca. Getting out on to the open roads, stopping at the James Dean site, forgetting the directions at home, driving anxiously around the area hoping we wouldn't miss the lap and when I decided to head for the hotel, here comes a long line of cars headed right at us. Lights flashing, hands waving and everyone smiling. WCC04 found me.
And the painful reminder that "no good deed goes unpunished"..... admiring #4 up close was a wonderful gift for those of us fortunate to be there.

Jenny
QUOTE (lagunero @ Mar 17 2006, 09:56 AM)
here comes a long line of cars headed right at us. Lights flashing, hands waving and everyone smiling.

YES!! I forgot, that's the absolute best! An organized picture of tons of 914s is cool, but a caravan of them is way cooler!

Plus all the cars zipping up the parking structure at Pruneyard. Hear those car alarms go!!! aktion035.gif

Jen
bernbomb914
It is a very enjoyable experiance to see everybody and admire all the cool cars that we love.

Bernie
MattR
WCC = West Coast Classic confused24.gif

did you need clarification on the acronym?

Ron, did you hijack the thread???

biggrin.gif
Elliot_Cannon
I think Ron has a ghost writer. laugh.gif
Elliot
djm914-6
Boy this has turned into a touchy feely thread is there ever was one.

Yes, I am doing a paint project for the next event. Maybe someone could help with some more ideas. I'm racking my brain trying to come up with something I CAN paint. So far my only idea is beer.
Toast
To meet new and party with my fellow 914 buddies!!
chatsmiley.gif beerchug.gif grouphug.gif drunk.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Toast @ Mar 17 2006, 12:43 PM)
To meet new and party with my fellow 914 buddies!!
chatsmiley.gif beerchug.gif grouphug.gif drunk.gif

drunk.gif

and to take fun rides in Jenny's WRX with brad at the helm chairfall.gif
Toast
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Mar 17 2006, 11:33 AM)
I think Ron has a ghost writer. laugh.gif
Elliot

No, Ron has the "Best Love Songs" cd out of Wayde's car. smlove2.gif

laugh.gif
Jenny
and to take fun rides in Jenny's WRX with brad at the helm

Ssshhhhhhhhhh!!!! unsure.gif

Jen
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Jenny @ Mar 17 2006, 12:50 PM)

Jen

i mean... i was way intoxicated and made that up wink.gif
dlo914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 17 2006, 11:51 AM)

Jen

lol2.gif im up for the next WCC that's gonna take place in Cali. Washington is a tad far sad.gif
MattR

Jen

Then we slept together at a Motel 6 across the street...

oh wait... intoxicated... right.............
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (MattR @ Mar 17 2006, 01:16 PM)

Jen

oh wait... intoxicated... right.............

spank.gif
Allan
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Mar 17 2006, 09:16 AM)
For me, a good way to meet guys

huh.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Mar 17 2006, 12:00 PM)

Jen

lol2.gif im up for the next WCC that's gonna take place in Cali. Washington is a tad far sad.gif

We've had people from across the ocean.... cool_shades.gif I'm farther that you... Come on, plan it now. You won't forget it! chatsmiley.gif chowtime.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif popcorn[1].gif
mike_the_man

Jen

I don't remember that either. I do remember tripping over a parking block, then trying every motel door down the line until I finally found the right one. After that, things go black. unsure.gif

So, I guess to me, the WCC is drinking way to much tequlia, then spending the night huddled under the bathroom counter on a cold tile floor! And meeting everyone is pretty great too.

I don't think that would make a good painting...
boxstr
A lot of work. And for someone else this year alot of driving. A number of use from Oregon and Washington and Canada made the trip the last two years to Calif. I think those of you down south can make the trip up north.
CCL
/L.
[QUOTE=MattR,Mar 17 2006, 12:16 PM][/QUOTE]

oh wait... intoxicated... right.............[/QUOTE] Yeah I can vouch for that laugh.gif You and Aaron had a good time and finally fell asleep. We still don't know snored the loudest blink.gif But we had a good time! cool_shades.gif

But I won't tell anybody I Promise finger.gif NOT!!!
Andyrew
Racing other 914's..

driving with other 914 owners

BSing and all that jaz..
Allan
For me it was primarily the chance to meet as many non-club members as possible and to see their cars.

The two best parts were caravaning down 101 with all the guys from up north and the central coast and the party at Neverland.

Don't remember much after that...
ppickerell
The group shot in front of the big tire at Laguna Seca was pretty awesome and eminently paintable. My car was in the second row. smilie_pokal.gif
ppickerell
pic
Jenny
I still don't know how we managed to cram the three tallest WCC 05 attendees in the back of that car. With all my shit stewn across the seats, no less. laugh.gif Ahhh... good times.

Jen
MattR
QUOTE (Jenny @ Mar 17 2006, 04:19 PM)
I still don't know how we managed to cram the three tallest WCC 05 attendees in the back of that car. With all my shit stewn across the seats, no less. laugh.gif Ahhh... good times.

Jen

aaron sat on my lap

wub.gif
rhodyguy
about 2600 miles of seat time. the run from santa maria to the 6 or 8 lane parking lot in santa barbara (we should have been jailed). the kareoke(sp) at the inn. parking lot parties mueba.gif . rick and sandy and everyone else. my driving instructor at willow dry.gif. bigger than life burgers w/gravy. everyone else. i will miss the drive. I-5 thru southern oregon and northern california is a great road.

k
ppickerell
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 17 2006, 04:58 PM)
i will miss the drive. I-5 thru southern oregon and northern california is a great road.

k

Take heed all you who haven't signed up for WCC06 (me ar15.gif )
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Jenny @ Mar 17 2006, 05:19 PM)
I still don't know how we managed to cram the three tallest WCC 05 attendees in the back of that car. With all my shit stewn across the seats, no less. laugh.gif  Ahhh... good times.

Jen

there was stuff on the seats????
laugh.gif

twas bradhole and jennay up front..
mattr mike da man and myself in the back right???

mike_the_man
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 17 2006, 06:49 PM)
QUOTE (Jenny @ Mar 17 2006, 05:19 PM)
I still don't know how we managed to cram the three tallest WCC 05 attendees in the back of that car. With all my shit stewn across the seats, no less. laugh.gif  Ahhh... good times.

Jen

there was stuff on the seats????
laugh.gif

twas bradhole and jennay up front..
mattr mike da man and myself in the back right???

I think so. I don't remember any stuff in the back. All I really remember was my head bouncing off the window on a few hard corners. And I think I remember going fast. blink.gif The majority of the night was a blur. Maybe it's better that way!
jimtab
I don't know, what do you say....if you can make it at all, you should...great people, no, REALLY great people. Plenty of Cazadores...lots of great cars, great drives, did I mention great people. It's true, 914 folks are just "different", I guess you have to be to love these suckers....I'm blowing off a European vacation with my wife so I can attend Portland this year, I just wouldn't miss it. And, the track fees are so reasonable..... biggrin.gif
McMark
I'm bringing two bottles of Cazodores this year. Costco and Trader Joe's have great prices on large bottles. drooley.gif
carreraguy
Yep - its great seeing all the other 914's out there, checkin out all the mods/engines and stories, but its the people for sure.

If I was doing some art and didn't want to do people, I'd do something focusing on the natural background (i.e. mountains etc.) that the NW is known for. I'm sure the Portland/NW guys would have ideas along those lines and send you some pics. Maybe a background scene that will be available during WCC06? In the foreground would be a selection of Teeners of various colors/styles in an eye-catching pose of some sort (i.e racing/autoxing?).

Just my $0.12 (inflation you know).
olav
QUOTE (jimtab @ Mar 19 2006, 04:29 PM)
I don't know, what do you say....if you can make it at all, you should...great people, no, REALLY great people. Plenty of Cazadores...lots of great cars, great drives, did I mention great people. It's true, 914 folks are just "different", I guess you have to be to love these suckers....I'm blowing off a European vacation with my wife so I can attend Portland this year, I just wouldn't miss it. And, the track fees are so reasonable..... biggrin.gif

How are you going up?

Is there a NorCal contigent convoy?

confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.