Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ooohhhhhh kay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
needed fuel, went to pull the release and snap!

the sheath (plastic) broke. I need one REALLY REALLY badly.

please if you have one, pm me or if you know my addy just send it.

Otto, I'm getting a check out to you on monday. Thx btw

b
Andyrew
wait..

what do you need?

sj914
I think he needs the front trunk release cable sheath.
bd1308
yes I need the cable sheath....im thinking that I can just slip off the old and slip in the new.

but i really really really need it.

b
r_towle
Britt,

Any bolen (sheath) will work.

Plastic tubing from a hardware store will work.

The key is the sheath has to remain stationary while the cable is being pulled, the end where it fits into the handle is a special shape..

If it is just broken and it is flexing, you could use duct tape, or you could put a plastic tube over the broken area..

The key is to keep the outer sheath still, and keep it from flexing...

Get it open again, and fix it..or next time you may have to take off the bumper to get the trunk open.

Rich
bd1308
yeah at speedway in bone fuch ohio at 1:30 I had to take my bumper off to fill up, only after taking the barbarian approach and completly denting up the front trunk. i *DO* know where i'm putting my good stuff now though.

bumper off, fill up, bumper on....only 30 minutes wacko.gif

b
rhodyguy
has the sheath slid through the little clamp on the latch mechanisim? the sheath needs to be secured. mine had slid through and was restricting the release action. degrease the area, make sure the plastic is positioned correctly, and put a little dab of 2 part epoxy on the leading edge of the sheath at the clamp. mine has held now for 9 months.

k
jim912928
Britt,

The plastic sheath sucks...don't buy one! If the cable is ok...take that and the old sheath down to any gocart shop and have them cut to length a brake/clutch cable. Then pull out the braided cable and insert the 914 cable into the cart sheath. This will cost you 10 bucks and you'll be able to open your trunk with 1 finger pulls!
bd1308
yeah about that thing (im sure its why im in my pickle)...

some ham-handed bastard (im sorry this DAPO thing pisses me off) crunched the plastic sheath against a washer and a philips head screw and something that allows the cable to slide through the contraption whilst preventing the sheath from moving....

it isnt factory im certain, bc the screw for accessing that is under the mechanism

and with a t4 in the front trunk anyway, its hard to get in there with screwdrivers and such....

b
bd1308
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Mar 18 2006, 10:25 AM)
Britt,

The plastic sheath sucks...don't buy one! If the cable is ok...take that and the old sheath down to any gocart shop and have them cut to length a brake/clutch cable. Then pull out the braided cable and insert the 914 cable into the cart sheath. This will cost you 10 bucks and you'll be able to open your trunk with 1 finger pulls!

gokart shop confused24.gif

ive never seen one....I was thinking about a FLAPS choke cable or something....

i'll look for gokart shops though...i think a real sheath is the way to go.

b
jim912928
Britt, motorcycle shop, ATV shop...lawnmower shop can do the same thing...anybody that can make cables to length. They can also then put on metal ends that won't slip. The plastic sheath that is original is prone to binding (many squirt lub into it over time) and cracking. They almost always end up hard to open. The setup I outlined works very easy and is similiar to how engman did his rear trunk kit (which you can also open with one finger).
bd1308
bicycle shop cool_shades.gif

i'll look around though....i still have 3/4 tank left b4 i have to take the bumper off again....

b
r_towle
Bicycle shop, a high end one will cut bolen sheath to length.

Get one that has the outer is rubber,nylon...then a metal spiral tube...then a teflon inner housing...

Campagnolia (I forget how to spell it,,,its a bicycle manufacturer) make a really slick, slippery sheath.

Look up bolen cable on google to get the engineering understanding of how it works, and the principles..that way you will understand that the bolen/sheath must stay still, not flex, and both ends must be held firmly in place.

The more you spend on the sheath, the happier you will be.

Rich
Dave Bell
I think I found something at Home Depot to replace both the cable and the sheath.... cable is braided stainless steel now and works just fine. My memory fails me but I think I reused the hand cable end piece on the new cable by grinding a groove in it, placing the new cable in the groove and welding a tad of carbon steel back over it ... has worked fine for years.

.... and yes it was after it broke when I needed gas and had to do the bumper off, gas, bumper on thing... not fun

- Dave
scottb
QUOTE (r_towle @ Mar 18 2006, 12:35 PM)
...a really slick, slippery sheath.

hehehehe...... he said it...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.