Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guys in PDX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
DNHunt
Gerry and I are coming down for the drivers skill and AX the 26th. Since it kicks off early I think we'll spend Saturday night. It would be fun to get together for one last chance at garage racing before we have to back it up.

Dave
J P Stein
I'm in.
Where are you staying?
Just West of Vancouver Mall there is a group of hotels......very convienent to PIR. The Red Lion on Hayden Island is even more so.
Bruce Allert
Sounds like a pregnant Idea!

I'm always a sucker for a dinner get-together.

Where & what time?
.....b
boxstr
Dave, You could come down a little further and try the Monarch hotel. It would mean JP might have to drive further to get together.
CCLINHOTEL.COM
drgchapman
I'm in. Pamela is out of town, I'm bachin'. I'll be at the am DE and the pm a/x.

Let's party! aktion035.gif
DNHunt
I haven't made any reservations yet. You guys know the area, name a restaurant.

Dave
Bruce Allert
Well... if'n ya stay at the Monarch Chevy's is a great place for party & Mezkin food, Red Robin is right there or the Spaghetti Factory too. Parking "right" at Chevy's or Red Robin is at a premium so parking would need to be done across the street at Target.

.......b
DNHunt
I booked a room at the Comfort Inn in Vancouver. You guys pick a spot and we'll find it. See you Sat.

Dave
drgchapman
Well... if'n ya stay at the Monarch Chevy's is a great place for party & Mezkin food, Red Robin is right there or the Spaghetti Factory too. Parking "right" at Chevy's or Red Robin is at a premium so parking would need to be done across the street at Target.

Good eats at Sunnyside Rd. Those are all good, easy to find and get in and out of.

Looking forward to seeing the Raby motor go............
Mine is still up on stands awaiting the transmission.................so I will be runniing a box stock '73 2.0 on Sunday.

Gary
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Mar 20 2006, 07:54 AM)
I booked a room at the Comfort Inn in Vancouver. You guys pick a spot and we'll find it. See you Sat.

Dave

You know that area purty gud JP. Whare's a good eats place??? and easy t'find? Don't want no burger biggies or taco cities! w00t.gif

.....b
boxstr
I think this looks like a bridge crossing.
CCLINBRIDGEONTHERIVERKWAI
J P Stein
I haven't a clue. Take out Chinese is a big night on the town to me biggrin.gif

There is a TGI Fridays over that way.....never been in there tho.

Anything easy to get to is fine with me.....as long as it doesn't involve Pizza or Mexican.
Bruce Allert
Dave, where's this comfort Inn? Give me an address so's I can Mapquest it, get an idea of where it is and sleuth out a restaurant or 2.

...b
DNHunt
The address is 13207 NE 20th Ave Van. Hey I don't mind driving somewhere that's got good chow. I'll just give the chauffer directions. As a Washington guy i like not paying the sales tax.

Dave
Porsche Rescue
Not able to make it but can throw out a restaurant or two.
Gustavs at 205 and Sunnyside road has good German food and beer. Beaches on the Wash. side of the River is a little fancier but nice location on the River. Also, Joe's Crab Shack on the WA side is good seafood but a bit noisy. All will be a wait on Saturday night unless you can get reservations, and they may not take them. Probably need to eat early or late!
J P Stein
There's a Red Robin at the intersection of 500 & Van Mall drive.
On the NE corner.
I've been there & it's gud burgers (about 20 kinds) & shakes.
boxstr
There is a Seven Eleven 7-11 across the street from the Red Robin that has great day old corn dogs, 4 for $1.00. A supersize Slurpee and a Snickers bar. What more could a guy ask for??
CCLINGOURMETDELIGHT
J P Stein

It's about 2 blocks from Dave's hotel.....and there are several other restuarants in the area.

Maybe we can find one with whine & cheese. biggrin.gif
Bruce Allert
Hell! Red Robin would be great... We could get as loud as we want & no one would notice drunk.gif Actually, we'd need to be loud to be heard since that place is always in party mode mueba.gif

Meet at Dave room, tear it up then play it by ear as to which eatry we go to

...b
DNHunt
The Red Robin sounds good. Cheese is fine, wine's not so good I'm more partial to beer.

I'm getting excited. I always like the courses down there cause I don't get lost. I'm not so fond of that 1 big hole that looks like Crater Lake without the water. Damn scary when the car's pushing like mad. That was the hardest thing in the world not to mash the brakes.

I'm planning on leaving Giggle about 2:30 so I should be in Vancouver about 5 - 5:30. We can be ready and at the restaurant by 6:30 I would guess.

Dave
smooth_eddy
For good eats in Portland I go to Jakes in downtown.... A bit pricey but worth it. Eddy
boxstr
Dave I am just curious, You are coming down to Portland and staying in Vancouver. Oregon has no sales tax. Why not stay in Oregon and eat in Oregon and pay no sales tax?
CCLINJUSTCURIOUS
drgchapman
popcorn[1].gif
J P Stein
Why do you suppose the Parade is headquartered at the Red Lion at Jansen Beach?
smooth_eddy
Why do you suppose the Parade is headquartered at the Red Lion at Jansen Beach?

confused24.gif

I have always wondered where the heck Jansen Beach is anyway??? I did not see any beaches last time I was on the Island. Eddy
DNHunt
Why not stay in Oregon and eat in Oregon and pay no sales tax?

DOOH headbang.gif

Dave
Bruce Allert
Jeeze Dave rolleyes.gif I mean after all....
I know, you just wanna keep support'n yer state. That's so gud of you Man beer.gif slap.gif
Jes' kidding biggrin.gif

Hey! don't wanna jinx us but...

it looks like it might be a really nice day on Sunday clap56.gif

....b
DNHunt
No rain would be great but 53 degrees I'll be hoping people hit a few cones just so I can stay warm. I'm looking forward to seeing all you guys.

Dave
BKLA
I know that I am the new 914 guy here, but I don't know if I'll make it out...No wipers and I don't fit with the current steering wheel/seat combo (Recaros push me too far forward and up. My head hits the roof as well.) I fit with stock seats but Craig is getting my stock seats recovered but they won't be ready by this weekend. I'm going to install my old racemark wheel to see if I get any more clearence from the steering wheel/shifter. But currently, I can't get the beast into reverse/first... my knee/leg is in the way.

Maybe I'll come out in the mini. Boy, that would make a nice first impression at the Porsche club! mad.gif
J P Stein
You wouldn't be the first guy to show up in a Mini.
Come on down....
Porsche Rescue
Eddy probably didn't ask for a history lesson, but as an ex history teacher and lifetime Portlander, here it is:

When arriving in Oregon from the north on I-5 you first reach Hayden Island in the Columbia River (most people don't even realize they are briefly on an island).

To the west of I-5 on the Island is a shopping center containing a Target, Home Depot and other businesses.
In an earlier age (like, when I was a kid) the space was the location of Jantzen Beach, a large amusement park with a great big white roller coaster, olympic size outdoor pool with diving platform, a large dance pavilion, and a quarter-mile dirt race track.

The name came from the Jantzens of Jantzen Knitting Mills, maker of swim suits (anyone remember the diving girl logo?). Anyway, that's my story (illustrated).
Porsche Rescue
1/4 midget on the dirt
Porsche Rescue
The "Big Dipper".....many a ride as a teenager!
Porsche Rescue
The carousel has been restored and is in the present day shopping mall.
Dave, you can take Gerry for a ride (but then he probably is more into 914's now). Class dismissed.
double-a
one of our favorite restaurants is at jantzen beach: stanford's.

~a
Bruce Allert
Stanford's would also be a gud eat'n place.

Are we gonna see you Saturday &/or Sunday Aaron?

....b
BKLA
Great history lesson. I remember the roller coaster but never had the opportunity to ride it. (Funny, it looks very much like the Colossus at Magic Mountain!?!)

I think I was 5 when it was torn down.

Great Pic's!
Bruce Allert
Bring the Mini. I'm doin' the Miata!

....b
double-a
QUOTE (Bruce Allert @ Mar 22 2006, 10:33 AM)
Stanford's would also be a gud eat'n place.

Are we gonna see you Saturday &/or Sunday Aaron?

....b

i might be able to do saturday, depends on what time. the wife's got the weekend pretty much monopolized biggrin.gif

~a
smooth_eddy
Jim...

Thanks for the history lesson. Looks like it was a pretty cool place. Maybe they should have just left it the way it was? Eddy
Porsche Rescue
I wish!
Bruce Allert
icon_bump.gif gotta do it. So, what's the skinny?

Dave When ya gonna be here so's we kin meet up at your Hotel?

Should we meet there & decide where's Dinner???

....b
J P Stein
Go back & read the thread. biggrin.gif
drgchapman
I'll be a little more friendly...... biggrin.gif

Red Robin
~6:30pm,Saturday the 25th
S500 and Vancouver Mall Drive

Who's instructoring on Sunday morning? driving.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (drgchapman @ Mar 23 2006, 06:34 PM)

Who's instructoring on Sunday morning? driving.gif

You are. laugh.gif
drgchapman
I paid my $40.00 to be instructored flipa.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (drgchapman @ Mar 23 2006, 06:38 PM)
I paid my $40.00 to be instructored flipa.gif

Well.....OK....er....who drives better'n than you?
This ain't exactly Bondurant's school, ya know. This is a beginers class. You ain't one of those, dummy laugh.gif

So far, I know none of the instructors....cept maybe me, and I *might* look gud to a beginer.....but I'm trying to avoid the job. I'll ride alonlg with ya & pretend if that's important to ya laugh.gif ....cept on the skid pad where I damn near barf.gif from the passenger seat last time.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Mar 23 2006, 07:22 PM)
Go back & read the thread. biggrin.gif

I'm planning on leaving Giggle about 2:30 so I should be in Vancouver about 5 - 5:30. We can be ready and at the restaurant by 6:30 I would guess.

Dave

OK, OK that was just too suttle & I missed it... slap.gif
Remind me to throw a camera under yer gas peddal bootyshake.gif

...b
DNHunt
We're on our way. See you tonight

Dave
J P Stein
PARTY!!!!!!!.....Uh....the wife says I gotta be home by 9. huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.