Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any one get loose inner CV bolts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbergtho
I have a V-8 car running spacers between the inner CVs and the drive flanges. Perhaps because there are two CV gaskets on each side, the bolts loosen all the time. It seems like every time I check them, they are loose! I have drilled the heads of the bolts and plan to safety wire them and maybe use red lock tight. Anyone have any further thoughts about how to keep these little bitches tight? confused24.gif

Bill
michel richard
I assume you properly torque the bolts and use new Schnorr (sp?) lock washers ? If you don't those two things will go a long way. Have'nt thought it through, but I'm not sure extra power through the CVs would cause loosening of those bolts.
SirAndy
QUOTE (michel richard @ Mar 19 2006, 05:52 PM)
I assume you properly torque the bolts and use new Schnorr (sp?) lock washers ?

agree.gif plus, make sure the threads (both on the bolts and in the CVs) are clean!

propper torque and *new* schnorr washers every time you fiddle with the bolts should do the trick ...
wink.gif Andy
Allan
Drill the heads of the bolts and safety wire them...
bondo
I used longer bolts on my adapters and put a locknut on them. (can't safety wire the spacer because the bolts are recessed) I can't tell you how well they stay tight, because the trans is still sitting on the dining room table. smile.gif
tyler
I had the drivers side joint come apart and flop around in my V8 not too long ago. Thankfully there was no damage. I put in new socket head cap screws, drilled the heads and ran stainless lockwire thru them. I don't think they could ever come loose again. If you get one of those simple tools that racers use for lockwireing you can do a real nice looking job.
wbergtho
I was using the schnorr lock washers and torqued the bolts properly. Still loosened. Now it gets red lock tight, drilled bolts and safety wire. Safety wire is what I need to do. The spacers and extra gaskets are causing more slop than you would otherwise find on a car w/out spacers...so I'm convinced that is causing them to loosen. I'll have to search for the wire tool online. Any ideas?

Bill
Allan
QUOTE (wbergtho @ Mar 20 2006, 03:20 PM)
I'll have to search for the wire tool online. Any ideas?

Bill

Harbor freight?
nocones
Go to most any motorcycle shop to get safety-wire plyers.

I recently dropped my transaxle to replace the clutch and had the opposite experience.
I couldn't get the damn things off!
Finally it was a combination of hitting them with penetrating oil, then an impact, heating them with a torch, then the long breaker bar for last stubborn few. smash.gif
Mine where 8mm allen heads, no lock washers that I recall. Is that normal?
Dr. Roger
bill,

is your issue with the bolts going through the adaptor or the CV? both?
wbergtho
Hey Dr. Roger,

I have longer bolts that pass through the CV and the spacer into the drive flange. The bolts are loosening all the time and believe safety wire will solve it. Because of the fact that I run a gasket on each side of the spacer (to keep grease from flying everywhere) there is a greater opportunity for the bolts to loosen. The gaskets don't allow a metal to metal contact between the CV & the spacer. An aluminum gasket might be a better material for the gaskets as well.

Bill
nocones
Took a peek at mine and it looks like the same setup.
Long 8mm studs through CV, adapter, and into drive flange.
There are some thin little washers in there, and a pair of flat, slightly curved metal pieces with two holes. (for two of the bolts to pass through.)
I'd take photos, but don't have a camera at the moment.
I was thinking safety wire at first too, but after having such a bitch of a time getting them loose I'm not sure I'll need it.
Cap'n Krusty
The CV joint is relieved for the gasket, which compresses to fill the available space. If the other side of the spacer isn't similarly relieved, there's your problem. The bolts are actually never tight. If you glue, drill, washer, and wire the new bolts, and you don't modify the spacer, you're gonna shear the bolts instead of having them come loose. The Cap'n
wbergtho
I had custom spacers made to the identical dimensions of the CV joints including the stepped down area for the gasket and all. So far, I have only had loosening problems and have never sheared a CV bolt yet...luckily. (And I'm running 500HP)

wbergtho
WTF.gif pic
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.