Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rub one out?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINCAN914
Well I got your attention didn't I? laugh.gif

The car I bought a few weeks ago was freshly painted, not a real nice job, but it works for now.

A few weeks ago, I had to park the car in the driveway, with no room in the garage, fixed that problem. Well we had some rain, and to avoid getting water in the car, I put a thin drop cloth over the top to protect from leaks, I then put the car cover over it. Kept the water out, but the plastic left marks / pattern on part of the painted targa top and where the sail panels would be. I'm affraid to try and polish or buff it out, but it's killin me. Can anyone suggest how to take it out? I don't know if it is because the clear was not dry or if the tarp had some oil residue of lubricant etc that caused it, but still don't want to screw it up further..
Allan
Try some regular car polish on it first. If that does'nt do it maybe some really fine diluted rubbing compound.
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 25 2006, 07:01 AM)
Try some regular car polish on it first. If that does'nt do it maybe some really fine diluted rubbing compound.

Allan I tried polishing comound, but that didn't work. I'm affraid to push to hard to cause as I might do more harm then good.
DonTraver
First, put out the yellow pages, find the closest "Body Shop Supply" store.

Meguiliar (sp) makes many different grades of compounds.

I would start off with the least aggresive cleaner/compound, like a swirl remover. Try rubbing it out on a soft cloth, wax on, wax off circular motion. If that doesn't work, go to the next higher grade. The supply shop will have a chart detailing grades.

After you find the one you need, use a 6" buffer with foam rubber pads. Buy lots of pads, they're only good for a 4-6 sq ft area, change pads a lot.

Takes 2 pads for hood, trunk lid, 1 for each fender. Wash pads with dish soap and water prior to reusing.

Start your buffing, when the compound is just about dry, stop, wipe it off. Check finish, if it looks good, stop, apply wax.

Oh yeah, and when all else fails, read the instuctions on the compound/cleaner bottle.

One more thing, WASH car before starting.

That should do it.

Good Luck, Don
TINCAN914
Thanks Don..
See if I can get it done this weekend..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.