Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will this engine dolly work with Type IV motors?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Charles Deutsch
Anyone have one of these for rolling around their T-4 motor?
ChrisFoley
looks a bit cheesy to me barf.gif

Buy 4 casters and screw them to a board. Add a couple of small pieces of wood to stabilize the engine. Done for less than half the price. smash.gif
JeffBowlsby
Can you say...furniture dolly?
Mike D.
I have one. got it a pamona a few years back. It only fits type I engines...

-Mike D.
sj914
It doesn't look very sturdy with just having three sides. A wooden furniture dolly would probably be cheaper and safer.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Sep 12 2003, 03:44 PM)
Can you say...furniture dolly?

just curious about this :

" 914 Trivia The 914 was the first production Porsche to have rear coil-over shock absorbers and semi-trailing arm rear suspension. The mid-engine configuration precluded the use of the traditional torsion bar suspension used on earlier Porsches. "

this statement is AFAIK correct with regard to the semi-trailing arms. but if the point is coilover vs torsion bars in back - go have a look at a 904 ... (no semi-trailing arms in back, tho - wishbones and radius rods...). also mid-engined.
URY914
I think the word "production" may be the key. Was the 904 considered production?

Paul
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 13 2003, 04:16 AM)
I think the word "production" may be the key. Was the 904 considered production?

yup. they made about 135, available through the dealer. many were sold into racing but there were more than a few licensed for (and driven on) the street.
URY914
I know that there were street cars but maybe they didn't consider them "production" Just a thought.

By the way I flipped my oil cooler over so it doesn't drain back. Thanks for the tip.

Paul
fiid
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Sep 12 2003, 03:40 PM)

Buy 4 casters and screw them to a board. Add a couple of small pieces of wood to stabilize the engine. Done for less than half the price. smash.gif

I screwed 4 castors to a fork truck pallet. This works very well and it can actually (although not advisable) support the weight of the car. It does make nasty cracking sounds though.

Fiid.
JeffBowlsby
this statement is AFAIK correct with regard to the semi-trailing arms. but if the point is coilover vs torsion bars in back - go have a look at a 904

Taken from Excellence Was Expected...is the word of Ludwigsen being challenged...?

its OK...I have found other exaggerations and semi-truths...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Sep 13 2003, 06:17 AM)
Taken from Excellence Was Expected...is the word of Ludwigsen being challenged...?

its OK...I have found other exaggerations and semi-truths...

it's NOT EASY making any book, and a big "comprehensive" and "authoritative" volume about a carmaker that didn't even keep records a lot of the time is a substantial challenge...

i have the first edition Excellence Was Expected, and the new & revised edition is on my Christmas list -- if i can exercise enough restraint to keep from just going to buy it before then !

at least this isn't flat-out wrong technically -- there was a statement in Frere's '911 Story' regarding the aluminum suspension cross member and front geometry of the I-Series and later cars that had be going off in a totally wrong direction for a while. turns out the crossmember is identical in all the important dimensions and the suspension geometry change was made to the tub itself...
EdwardBlume
I have one, and its a worthless piece of crap. It's too high, it doesn fit nicely underneath the case, and fully loaded, those small wheels don't move very easily. A jackstand and a friend works better.

I think the concept could be done for a 914 engine but it would have to take more thought. blink.gif
mharrison
Any mechanical engineers or just excellent welders want a project?

How about making a frame that fits the base of the engine well. Attach this to a swivel that will fit the top of a floor jack? Or maybe just build this on a scissor jack type device like a motorcycle jack? We've all R&R'd these engines with a floor jack and it's not too hard, but wouldn't something better be awesome? Make all for casters to rotate as well as adding a lock and/or brake to them. The scissor jack Idea would make a good stand to store one on as well. It just wouldn't have the heighth of a standard stand.

I wouldn't think this would be too difficult, but I'm not a welder by any strech of the imagination.
(I can weld it if it's broken, but it won't be pretty. I am the king of Gorilla welds!)

Just a thought.
MarkV
This place VW Alleysells a rack that goes on a floor jack. I don't think it is big enough for a Type4 though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.