Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
I removed a stock 2.0 FI engine from a 74. The PO said that the car was parked due to FI trouble. Can I simply strip off the FI stuff, bolt on a set of carbs and (barring any other issues with the engine) expect it to run? huh.gif

Or, do I need to make other changes as well?

To test, I would drop my 1.7 with dual Dellorto 40's and install the 2.0.
URY914
Sounds easy.
But, depending on the linkage you have, it can be a bitch to get them dailed in.

Paul
SirAndy
you'll need a carb-optimized cam too.
otherwise, you won't be very happy with the results ...

what's wrong with the FI ???

Andy
Dave_Darling
"FI problems" often aren't. I've had more than a couple of people write in to Pelican saying, "I installed carbs because I had an FI problem. But the car is still doing the same thing!" Since the FI system is relatively complex and is not understandable by the "old school" guys, it is very easy to blame for problems. Those can just as easily be caused by the ignition system, the fuel supply system, or the basic engine...

You must change to a low-pressure fuel pump if you go to carbs.

You do not have to go to a new cam, but you're leaving a lot of performance "on the table" if you keep the stocker.

You will have to spend time jetting them for your car, but 40s will work fine.

--DD
rhodyguy
the 40's will prob work better on the 2.0, depending on the jetting. check the idles, 55 is a good starting point. i suggest you get bob tomlinson's book (see picture). avail at most vw parts places or from cb performance. beware shameless plug, i highly recomend a carb linkage from TRIAD. a bit more money but a vast improvement from the others i have dealt with.

kevin
rhodyguy
sorry.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.