Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OUCH
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Anybody catch the dealy wreck? Just saw it on Speed news. hit the wall slid down the track and then T-boned by another car doing 176 miles an hour.
Racing loses another talented driver.
jr91472
Was that the ROLEX series race yesterday? I watched last nite but didn't see that?
Joe Ricard
IRL practice just about an hour ago.
dekman
Just saw the replay on speed.....horrible crash. Reminds everyone that it is still a potentially deadly sport. While talking with Brian Redman yesterday, there were 3 or 4 times that he should of died from crashes and actually quit after the Targa Floria crash...but he went back to it!(addicted to speed). cool.gif
Scott Carlberg
IRL driver Paul Dana in fatal crash

more info here
i love porsche
just saw it at a rennlist lunch meet...its sad
URY914
Here it is on tape

http://www.ogrish.com/archives/indycar_dri...ar_26_2006.html
jimtab
With all of the spotters and flashing yellow lights why was the guy still going 176mph by telemetry when he hit the disabled car....don't those things have brakes? Too bad for the dead guy. I guess it really is better to be the hammer than the nail.... wacko.gif
Lou W
The other drivers on the track saw it and slowed down, he must not have been paying attention, So sad. ohmy.gif
soloracer
QUOTE (jimtab @ Mar 26 2006, 04:38 PM)
With all of the spotters and flashing yellow lights why was the guy still going 176mph by telemetry when he hit the disabled car....don't those things have brakes? Too bad for the dead guy. I guess it really is better to be the hammer than the nail.... wacko.gif

Jim,

The way I read this you are saying it's better to be the car moving fast than it is to be the stationary one. However, wasn't Dana (the one killed) driving the car doing 176 mph? If so, that would be opposite of the "better to be the hammer than the nail" no?
BMartin914
With all of the spotters and flashing yellow lights why was the guy still going 176mph by telemetry when he hit the disabled car....

agree.gif

It really is tragic to lose another driver...
jimtab
QUOTE (soloracer @ Mar 26 2006, 05:00 PM)
With all of the spotters and flashing yellow lights why was the guy still going 176mph by telemetry when he hit the disabled car....don't those things have brakes?  Too bad for the dead guy.  I guess it really is better to be the hammer than the nail.... wacko.gif

Jim,

The way I read this you are saying it's better to be the car moving fast than it is to be the stationary one. However, wasn't Dana (the one killed) driving the car doing 176 mph? If so, that would be opposite of the "better to be the hammer than the nail" no?

No, Dana spun and the other guy hit him at 176mph
boxstr
Jim I just reread the report and it says Carpenter hit the wall, came down the track and was hit in the rear by Dana. I also watched the video, same outcome.
CCL
messix
its hard to tell but i think dana caught the engine package about head high. sad, and makes me sick. i feel bad for his family, but i'd rather go doing some thing that i love doing than rotting from some disease or taken out by a blue hair runnig a red light.
alpha434
QUOTE (messix @ Mar 26 2006, 11:34 PM)
its hard to tell but i think dana caught the engine package about head high. sad, and makes me sick. i feel bad for his family, but i'd rather go doing some thing that i love doing than rotting from some disease or taken out by a blue hair runnig a red light.

Roger that.

Did you see the sparks fly from the e-brake being pulled before the collision? That was neat. But it happens fast, so watch carefully. Blue car does it.
messix
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 27 2006, 01:23 AM)

Roger that.

Did you see the sparks fly from the e-brake being pulled before the collision? That was neat. But it happens fast, so watch carefully. Blue car does it.

uuuummmmm i did'nt know irl open wheel race cars had e-brakes. can't imagine a need for an EMERGENCEY HAND BRAKE on a race car!!!!!

you crake me up alpha av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
URY914

Can't they cut the engine out remotely and have the car's slow or at least get the driver's attenion?

All that technoloy and this still happens. confused24.gif

Seems as though something could have been done.

ClayPerrine
This is a tragedy. I really feel sorry for his family. But, I have to quote Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans, "It is a profesional blood sport, people die." Much as we hate it, it is going to happen. Not as often as in the past, but it is never going to go away.

Every shunt in racing results in better saftey. Dale Earnhart's death resulted in the Hans devise becoming mandatory in all forms of racing, right down to club racing. In the long run, his death will save the lives of many other racers at all levels of motorsport. The investigation into Dana's death should result in much better safety for the drivers and spectators in IRL. And hopefully that will also trickle down to the lower levels of racing too.

I don't watch racing for the shunts. But some do. I hope that someday those morbid people become bored with racing.

sad.gif
jimtab
QUOTE (boxstr @ Mar 26 2006, 10:16 PM)
Jim I just reread the report and it says Carpenter hit the wall, came down the track and was hit in the rear by Dana. I also watched the video, same outcome.
CCL

Oops...my bad..I guess I got confused with all the car parts flying around wink.gif
jimtab
QUOTE (messix @ Mar 27 2006, 12:40 AM)
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 27 2006, 01:23 AM)

Roger that.

uuuummmmm i did'nt know irl open wheel race cars had e-brakes. can't imagine a need for an EMERGENCEY HAND BRAKE on a race car!!!!!

you crake me up alpha av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

Dude....what if they have to park on the high bank?????? confused24.gif av-943.gif
URY914
I've read about this on several other boards now and his team says they told him over the radio that there was a car ahead stopped on the track. He didn't hear them, the radio wasn't working or he just didn't do the right thing.

Hate to say it was driver error....
alpha434
Alright. All IRL cars are required to have "dual braking system" which means that there has to be an auxhilary method for stopping the car.

Here, guys.

finger.gif
messix
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 27 2006, 01:38 PM)
Alright. All IRL cars are required to have "dual braking system" which means that there has to be an auxhilary method for stopping the car.

Here, guys.

finger.gif

oh, so there's a fourth pedal down in that tiny little foot box?

where's the alpha digging a bigger hole smiley?
street legal go-kart
Chris,
The dual brake system refers to the master cylinder design and the brake fluid routing [read tubing] must provide brake fluid to each caliper or each pair of caipers [lf/rr...rf/lr ] idependant of each other. Hence two different braking systems.
All street cars have had this setup for years.
If you would like I can provide the contact #'s for a look at the IRL rules and specs.
I think what you see is Danas chassis bottom just before the crash as a result of him pushing the car down onto the apron.
Homestead has a very flat section at the bottom of the track which due to the compresive forces whould have bottomed the chassis.

JT
Lou W
QUOTE (street legal go-kart @ Mar 27 2006, 03:13 PM)
Chris,
The dual brake system refers to the master cylinder design and the brake fluid routing [read tubing] must provide brake fluid to each caliper or each pair of caipers [lf/rr...rf/lr ] idependant of each other. Hence two different braking systems.
All street cars have had this setup for years.
If you would like I can provide the contact #'s for a look at the IRL rules and specs.
I think what you see is Danas chassis bottom just before the crash as a result of him pushing the car down onto the apron.
Homestead has a very flat section at the bottom of the track which due to the compresive forces whould have bottomed the chassis.

JT

agree.gif That was my understanding too, of a "dual braking system". smile.gif
messix
jeez guys, way to blow my fun with alpha. you shoulda just let him dig deeper till he actually researched it and understood what he was talking out his bootyshake.gif about. thats how he'll learn.

no malice intended alpha, just giv'n ya some "encouragement to double check your info b4 posting to a bunch of real "know it alls".
wannateener
Chris,
Just talked to a friend,
Dana did in fact try to go low, which is where he was told to go.
At the entrance of the corner they said he was where he should have been.
The opportunity to go to the high side as the event developed was the thing that almost saved his life.
It also is the flash you see from under the car as the car bottoms and releases.

Big smile Chris , some of us see ourselves in you!

Wait Wait no we don't !!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.