Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do i adjust my shifter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlo914
sad.gif im getting a slight grind noise when i shift into 2nd gear. The other gears are fine. Well actually everything was fine until my friend said that the shifting needed some adjustment. And now 2nd is harsh to get into. I check PP for a tech article on how to adjust the shifter, but i came up w/ nothing. So yea need some tips on how to adjust the shifter. Thanks in advance gang.
olav

Could be that your second gear sychro is going south.

That's what happened to me. Grinding going into second no matter what adjustments I made.

Once I put in a new sychcro everything was smooth again.
Aaron Cox
agree.gif

check your clutch adjustment too
dlo914
QUOTE (olav @ Mar 26 2006, 12:08 PM)
Could be that your second gear sychro is going south.

That's what happened to me. Grinding going into second no matter what adjustments I made.

Once I put in a new sychcro everything was smooth again.

but it was fine before my friend adjusted the shifter.
dlo914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 26 2006, 12:11 PM)
agree.gif

check your clutch adjustment too

you mean see if there's slack on the clutch cable? at the transmission end where it loops over that circular disk?
rhodyguy
where is james' (yellowbeard) adj procedure? did your friend remove the base of the shifter from the front bar? how does the freeplay (fore and aft) compare while in 2nd & 3rd? how tight (sideways) is 2nd to the 1&R lock out plate?

k
dlo914
i remember watching my friend take off this one cover plate underneath the center cushion and loosening up this one 13mm bolt right beneath the shifter to adjust the shifter. But from there im clueless as to which direction i adjust the shift rod.
Aaron Cox
its described in your haynesmanual....

if it was fine, why did he adjust it?
Brando
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 26 2006, 12:21 PM)

He thought it was a 915 shmifter...

Confused it with a Fiat...

Was wondering why Second was forward, was trying to make it straight back...
rhodyguy
please go try your shifter and address the questions i asked. it could be very simple.

k
dlo914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 26 2006, 12:21 PM)

he didnt think it was fine. dry.gif
dlo914
o wells i managed to do it by feel and look. And managed to get it shift pretty well just have to go into 2nd slowly.
olav
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Mar 26 2006, 12:43 PM)
o wells i managed to do it by feel and look. And managed to get it shift pretty well just have to go into 2nd slowly.

Sounds like the sychro is going going ...
dlo914
QUOTE (olav @ Mar 26 2006, 01:10 PM)
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Mar 26 2006, 12:43 PM)

Sounds like the sychro is going going ...

sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.