Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to Powdercoat Cookie cutters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
I decided that for my track wheels I would try your "Autozone" paint, its the duply (sp?) wheel paint in "chrome", but its more of a powder.. really cool

Anyways, why dont I do a how to laugh.gif
Assuming you have some piece of junk wheels you want to make look decent, here are some steps..

Take your wheels and Chemically strip them,
Make sure you sand down the wheels really well, takeing all the high spots, I used 600 grit, then 1000 grit on the lip.
Andyrew
Next mask them, masking tape works good (what a concept! ohmy.gif )
Andyrew
A close up of the affect of the spray paint, looks alot like a metalic flake..
Andyrew
With the masking tape on.
Remove the tape when it is dry enough to touch the tape, and make sure not to touch the wheels, this way whatever is pulled up when you remove the tape has time to settle before it completely dries.
Andyrew
mo picks
Andyrew
better light.

Walla!! next is clearcoating..
vortrex
looks pretty good, will be interesting to see how it holds up.
redshift
Nice lookin.. I may do a quicky job on a set of Fuchs Sunday.

M
p914
Mediablast gives better results than chemical stripping. The rest looks good. Keep us posted on how they last. Link below shows my Fuchs project. that I got from Steve Thacker on eBay. The wheels were straight and true, just in need of blasting and polishing.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp...selected=252977
Andyrew
The Cookie cutters are just track wheels, I bought chemicals to strip it with for 5 bucks, and the paint for another 10 (with clearcoat).. not a bad look for 15 bucks.
I think they will work very well, and they look good. I have my polished Fuch's for my driving around town in.

IPB Image

Nice job on the polishing though!
Korijo
I dont think you're supposed to clear coat that type of paint. Read the label...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 12 2003, 07:59 PM)
better light.

you painted over the rubber valve stem ?
you painted over the stick-on tire weights?

i think you'll have an interesting time getting the paint to match next time you have new tires balanced ...
dan10101
I dont think you're supposed to clear coat that type of paint. Read the label...

I read the label, and I tested it.

you painted over the rubber valve stem ?

No, I duck taped it off, didnt remove it yet.

you painted over the stick-on tire weights?

There track wheels, I dont care.. I just needed some color

Andrew
URY914
Now you to be careful you don't get any WD40 on them. cool_shades.gif
p914
How did that stripper work for you? Was there previous paint on the wheels? I bet sanding was tough with all the terrain on the wheels. Looks good for a set track wheels. Duplicolor is good paint for a number of jobs. The textured stuff recently put out is a nice touch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.