Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Impeller marks for valve adjust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsf322
I was looking over my '76 2.0 getting ready to attempt my first valve adjustment and found marks different than what I had read. I found a yellow dot on the fan when the distributor rotor was pointing towards 7 o'clock and a notch in the flywheel through the opening on the bottom of the transmission. Is this cylinder #2 at TDC. I found another mark on one of the impeller blades when the distributor rotor was pointing towards the notch in the distributor housing. I assume this is the mark for cylinder #1 TDC but I am not sure. It did not look like what I expected. It was just a yellow line on the blade. I have attached some photos.
jsf322
The picture above was with the distributor pointing towards the #2 wire tower. The picture below is the mark with the distributor pointing towards the notch in the housing which seems to go with the #1 wire tower.
echocanyons
Use the Cap'n crusty method.

you can find it in the classic threads

The Cap'ns way
BMartin914
The notches you need to look for are on the opposite side of the impeller than the painted marks in your pics - and they are actual notches in the impeller, not painted-on marks. The marks in your pics were most likely done by a PO to make the job easier.

The best thing to do (in addition to using the Krusty method) is to verify TDC and make new marks for future adjustments. I think the Kap'n may go mover this in his article - it's been a while since I reas through it.
jsf322
thanks for the info. I believe this is actually the mark I should be looking at for cylinder 1 TDC. It is on the opposite side of the fan than the yellow marks. Thanks.
Triaddave
there should be another mark close to where you are at. on one of ours, it a 0. on the other it is white. i think what you are showing is the 27 degree advance mark.
drewvw
QUOTE (Triaddave @ Mar 26 2006, 07:14 PM)
there should be another mark close to where you are at. on one of ours, it a 0. on the other it is white. i think what you are showing is the 27 degree advance mark.

I agree. I did the valves this weekend for the first time as well and repainted the #1 TDC mark and the 27degree mark like that.

There was no TDC mark on mine, but I did find a red dot for the timing mark and I painted the fan blade to make the mark bigger just like that.....

find that little scribe mark on the distributor at 10 o'clock for #1 TDC and I bet that paint mark on the fan blade will be the 27 degree mark to the left of it (approx 2 inches).

The pelican template printout helped me alot.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9.../914_timing.pdf
BMartin914
That would be the mark, and yes, that is for 27' BTDC. The white notch is TDC.

jsf322
amazingly I went completely around on the fan and there is no white mark. I did discover though that the yellow mark that a PO put on the opposite side of the fan does coordinate with the notch in the flywheel that you can feel on top of the transmission when you hit #1 or #3 TDC. I guess I have my marks. Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.