Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shorted alternator due to back cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
Last fall when I installed my rebuilt Bosch alternator I had the same problem that several others have ran into, I shorted the alternator back cover to one of the connection posts headbang.gif After this happened I remembered something about a post warning of trouble with replacement alternators. I searched the board and found the article warning of the problem. It was too late for me to prevent it and I really wanted to drive the car before snow flew so I left the alternator installed, removed 2 of the cover plate nuts that I could get to, wedged open the cover and slipped in a piece of heat shrink tubing for an insulator to stop the short.

The insulator "fix" has been buggin me ever since. The salt went down on the roads the day after my short drive and I have not been back out for a drive yet. But, it soon will be driving weather again so I pulled the alternator and want to fix it right.

My questions are: What needs to be repaired/replaced after creating this short? Can I simply prevent the short from recurring and be good to go?

Here's a link to the replacement alternator issue. Good thread, I just wish that I remembered it earlier.

WARNING!-Bosch Rebuilt Alternators!!
Aaron Cox
dont you just "trim" the stud?
Doug Leggins
dont you just "trim" the stud?

I am hoping that it is that easy. Actually the washer needs a flat cut on one side to prevent the short.

While the alternator is out I thought that I'd have it tested. I was just wondering if I could have damaged any other component(s).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.