Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: just for jake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
messix
local guy here i'm sure some of you have seen his stuff
DanT
very patriotic biggrin.gif
Rand
Hey, I just saw that thing at the Seattle car show. And snapped a pic...
messix
rand the other one he had was his original v8 car now has a big centrifical blower on it now and a hood with out a big hole in it . can you say sleeper? 'cept the paint.
Rand
Sweet. I would repaint it and go all sleeper on that one. Man, I'd love a ride in those things.
messix
that guy has shown his cars at the colby cruise every year that i can remember. i talked with him several times , nice guy.
Jake Raby
Sure.. Thats easy to beat.. He removed the biggest advantage the car had for traction by relocating the engine to the front..

I now VW powered beasts that will set his ass on fire...

Good work he did for sure, I just don't get the point... All that extra weight over the non drive wheels????
Root_Werks
I scanned through a HOT VW's or VW Trends or whatever the other day and noted an article about a 1914cc 300hp turbo engine build. Sheese! I can remember being happy to squeak 85hp from a 1600dp! biggrin.gif Times have changed and the bar is pretty high these days. smile.gif
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Mar 28 2006, 06:52 AM)
I scanned through a HOT VW's or VW Trends or whatever the other day and noted an article about a 1914cc 300hp turbo engine build. Sheese! I can remember being happy to squeak 85hp from a 1600dp! biggrin.gif Times have changed and the bar is pretty high these days. smile.gif

I'll bet that 85hp was good for 40-60K miles..... not the 25seconds for the turbo.....
sportlicherFahrer
I have seen that car run at Pacific International. On a hot day during the summer, that thing only pulled a mid to low 12! On the same day there were 10 second bugs! It is still a cool sight to see, and it is VERY loud. Nothing like a stinger though!
BMartin914

I've seen beetles with similar powerplants doing 7s and 8s at the Bug-In at Bandimere Speedway here in Denver.

I was blown away when I saw the times. cool.gif
maf914

Whenever turbo horsepower numbers come up I always think of the Formula 1 turbo years. BMW was getting 1200 hp from their 1.5 liter four cylinder qualifying engine. What a grenade! laugh.gif
BMartin914
QUOTE (maf914 @ Mar 28 2006, 01:37 PM)
I scanned through a HOT VW's or VW Trends or whatever the other day and noted an article about a 1914cc 300hp turbo engine build.  Sheese!  I can remember being happy to squeak 85hp from a 1600dp!  :D   Times have changed and the bar is pretty high these days.  :)

Whenever turbo horsepower numbers come up I always think of the Formula 1 turbo years. BMW was getting 1200 hp from their 1.5 liter four cylinder qualifying engine. What a grenade! laugh.gif

Brabham BT50 drooley.gif
Tobra
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Mar 28 2006, 06:13 AM)
Sure.. Thats easy to beat.. He removed the biggest advantage the car had for traction by relocating the engine to the front..

Good work he did for sure, I just don't get the point... All that extra weight over the non drive wheels????

Should have put it in the back seat. Drove a bug with an aluminum Buick V-8 like that one time, yikes.

I have always thought that a super beetle with the ring and pinion flipped so you could put the motor in the back seat would be outstanding. Put you close to a 50-50 split on the weight, and would freak people a little when you pop the bonnet. I imagine it would cure your super shimmies too.
jetboy
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Mar 28 2006, 06:13 AM)

That sure sounds like a reason to place a heavier /6 or V8 into the teener to get more power and weight over the drive wheels... hide.gif
Twystd1
That ain't nuthin..

My moms 1.7 FI factory 914 with dual pipes and A/C can kick that guys ass.

Cause Alpha tuned it..!!!!!

Twystd1
messix
chassis tuning for quarter mile cars is very different than any other motor sport. it is possible to have better traction with the engine in front when the chassis setup allows for weight transfer on accelaration. the effect of weight transfer on a rear engine car unloads the front suspension to easely.
thats prolly why in top fuel there hasn't been any rear engine cars [engine behind the drive wheels.] top fuel is limited on chassis length to limit the bite and traction these cars can get.
Rider914
If the rears could get enough bite, he could get the engine behind the rear tires - Upside-down. . .
Jake Raby
Nope.... Whats his best time.
messix
i don't know about the new tube frame car, but he was turning mid elevens with the old car. very traction limited thats the reason for the tube car.
Jake Raby
I know of rear engined VWs with VW engines pulling low 9s and are street driven... Just go to Cal-look.com and look at the top 10/20 in the Turbo section..

Kris Lauffer's car is not a full drag car, its a street car...

Tobra
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Mar 30 2006, 06:11 AM)
I know of rear engined VWs with VW engines pulling low 9s and are street driven... Just go to Cal-look.com and look at the top 10/20 in the Turbo section..

Kris Lauffer's car is not a full drag car, its a street car...

Fellow in HS, Pozzi, had a really pretty yellow bug that he drove to school. It was brutal, made a big block Camaro look like a chick car, and did so often. Easier to have a low 11 street ar when your family has a VW hot rod shop though...
Jake Raby
My best 1/4 time is 11.85, normally asperated with carbs.. I have built many 10 second engines fior customers, but never got in to drag racing very much, the tree kills me!

dstar
I saw a front engined bug with a 600HP Ford 460 in the mags.
It was only capable of 11s because of traction.

With that much HP and the weight in front, there is NOTHING
you can do to get it into the 9s... except LOSE some HP!

BUWAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

Back in the 70s, in a 5000lb 69 Mercury Cyclone with a 700HP 429 SCJ,
I shaved .5 sec just by moving the engine 1.5 inches back.

In that bug, he has nowhere to move it to!
:-D

Don
Brett W
Sounds to me like he doesn't know how to set up a chassis and is way short of the HP mark. I know of street legal 5.0 Mustangs that can run low 9s with a 10in tire. Those are front engine V8 cars. There is a 600hp chevelle here in town that easily runs low 6s in the 8th mile.

Sounds like he just needs to learn something about chassis setup.
Jake Raby
Anyone who has driven a Bug in the 11s or faster will tell you at the top end of the track car gets really squirrely due to the short wheel base...

All that weight in the front has to make it worse.

I love to see V-8 powered bugs get their asses handed to them, its almost as good as seeing a 911 getting passed by a 912.
grantsfo
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Mar 30 2006, 07:41 AM)
Anyone who has driven a Bug in the 11s or faster will tell you at the top end of the track car gets really squirrely due to the short wheel base...

All that weight in the front has to make it worse.

I love to see V-8 powered bugs get their asses handed to them, its almost as good as seeing a 911 getting passed by a 912.

Well lets be honest. The car we are talking about is not a V8 bug. Its a tubeframe car with a bug body grafted on. It very well could have many other bodies.
dstar
You are correct!

It could have a jeep body and STILL have the same
geometrical/physical problems:

short wheelbase+400 lbs of engine in the FRONT.
biggrin.gif

Don
messix
google fuel altered if you want to see squirly.
if you look at tha first pic. again you will see that the engine is behind the the spindle center line and most front engine cars the engine sits over the spindle center line.
granted his first car [stock body with mods to be able to put a v8 in it ] wasn't intended as the ultimate drag car. [ who here has a car thats does every thing 10/10ths for every thing?] but i'm betting he built it because he could. and it makes him giggle like a little girl when he steps on the LOUD pedal and the tires go up in smoke and accelarates just as fast.
Jake Raby
Sure- Its a novelty car to get the attention of those that have no idea that a VW pan based vehicle with a VW engine could smoke it's ass..

Chris' Lauffer's car has a stock VW pan, not a tube frame.

Sure it' would be fun to drive, but I would spend 100 bucks to see his heart get broken when the real VW spanked his ass..

Sounds like a good show for PINKS!
URY914
w00t.gif

Rand
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Mar 30 2006, 10:02 AM)
Sounds like a good show for PINKS!

That would be sweet! "Ok, I'll give you two lengths and that's it!"
Jake Raby
Damn is that the best he can do??

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Thats with MassIVe power!
messix
jake your not getting it. ok let me put this to you gud ol' boy way. say you buy a four wheel drive truck and ya go out and put a 36" lift on it, then ya put some great big 44" super swamper tyrs on it, and ya put 50 off road lights on it, and then you don't even take it off raod 'caus its no good off road, its to high it tips to easy, not 'nuf power to spin the tyrs in the mud, and most of all yer 'fraid to scratch it.

ya get it now. not every ones like this but there out there. some times cool shit isn't practical, but it's still cool. [like $18,000 volkswagon bus motors. just pullin your chain here a little jake]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.